Tow'em or tear'em in half

Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
Alex_W

Tow'em or tear'em in half

Post by Alex_W »

I like tugboats for the same reason I like wreckers. They are built with one thing in mind and their beauty lies in their functionality. My wife and I have cruised all over the world and everywhere we go I take pictures of tugboats.

I stumbled upon this model by accident. It's a diecast metal Texaco bank and it represents an actual 1:1 tugboat, the Texaco Fire Chief. The white paint on the wheelhouse is a tiny bit crazed, but that just adds to the authenticity and charm.

1967 Texaco Fire Chief
In service in New York Harbor (out of Texaco Bayonne, NJ terminal)
Built by Jakobson Shipyard in Oyster Bay, Long Island
1600 brake horsepower
Length: 100 feet
Beam: 26 feet
Crew: 8
Last edited by Alex_W on Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: Tow'em or tear'em in half

Post by JSB33 »

Very cool!
Jeff

Tom

Post by Tom »

I agree. Does it say what scale it is?

Jager

Post by Jager »

Nice Alex.

I work for a port, so tugs are an everyday event. It's interesting that the basic design of tugs has barely changed in 100 years, when cars, plans and other forms of transport are so different to the past.

Here's two of our tugs:

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

Tugboats certainly came into their own when they eventually freed that container freight vessel which blocked the Suez Canal last week :D .

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Tom wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 am
I agree. Does it say what scale it is?
I think it's about 1/64.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Jager wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:16 am
Nice Alex.

I work for a port, so tugs are an everyday event. It's interesting that the basic design of tugs has barely changed in 100 years, when cars, plans and other forms of transport are so different to the past.

Here's two of our tugs:

Great shot! I'll add it to my collection.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

GBOAC002 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:47 pm
Tugboats certainly came into their own when they eventually freed that container freight vessel which blocked the Suez Canal last week :D .
They sure did. And those are some serious tugboats. Some of the monsters they use for big tankers and container ships sport 6500 HP from twin 12 cylinder diesels displacing 710 cubic inches per cylinder. That's almost 10 cubic feet of displacement. :shock:

They can go from 13 knots forward to 13 knots reverse in 15 seconds and from top speed (14 knots) to dead stop in a boat length. :o :shock:

They can spin in their own length and the winch is powerful enough to pull the boat forward when the engines are full astern. :twisted:

When the talking heads on TV were going on about the tugs not being able to move the Ever Given I just laughed. It was never a question of moving it. it was a question of moving it without breaking it.

They also have twin 900-hp pumps that pull water through 12-inch risers at a flow rate of 11,800 gallons of water per minute.

Kinda makes your average racecar look like a booger, don't it? :D