Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
scalainj
Site Admin

Trains

Post by scalainj » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Took a couple of pictures earlier, so i'm sharing

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

guitardave_1

Re: Trains

Post by guitardave_1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:30 pm

Very nice weathering on what I believe to be the class 33 (hint - it's not the one with 33 written on it!).

What is the middle one? If I read the number right it would be a class 71? Presumably quite an early electric loco with the pre-TOPS numbering. Looks a relatively basic model by modern standards
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:36 pm

It is a 33 - a 33/2 Slim Jim to be precise so it could run on the Hastings line from Heljan which i picked up at er a umm er train fair last weekend in Woking.

and the other is a 71 - its a handbuilt resin as you can't get 71s RTR and this one is from Silver Fox Models - i got it yesterday. Needs weathering and a detail kit

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Nice Andy! :) Those trains brought back lots of memories from my childhood! I had several train models, but my brother distroyed most of them! :(
-Julio-

Rat

Post by Rat » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:23 pm

The diesel looks very good, nice detail and weathering.

zimbo

Post by zimbo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:40 am

:shock: Mmmm Andy, do you live in a regular house or a warehouse? :lol: I cant get over all the stuff you collect, must be a logistical nightmare to try and display all of it. (nice trains by the way.)
Last edited by zimbo on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alistair

David MG

Post by David MG » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:28 am

Rat wrote:The diesel looks very good, nice detail and weathering.
x2
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:58 am

DeadCanDanceR wrote:Nice Andy! :) Those trains brought back lots of memories from my childhood! I had several train models, but my brother distroyed most of them! :(
I can relate to that - i had a layout when i was younger - most of it got destroyed over the years to the point where the only things left was loco and a wagon rake that my dad salvaged.

This lot all come from my youthful hobbies rekindled.
Cheers Tom.the Electric needs some work as it straight from the box. Needs some detailing to start with and then on from there
zimbo wrote::shock: Mmmm Andy, do you live in a regular house or a warehouse? :lol: I cant get over all the stuff you collect, must be a logistical nightmare to try and display all of it. (nice trains by the way.)
A flat :o Its not too bad although wall space is at a bit of a premium. Deciding where to put a layout is causing the most issues at the moment as the pesky kids want to stay in their bedrooms and not sleep in the lounge. selfish blighters ;)
David MG wrote:
x2
Thanks David

Andy
Andy

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:38 am

A ubiquitous sight on UK Southern Region network. We had a couple of Type 33s on shed here for years.

Going very slightly off topic now so I apologise in advance. Although I now have an interest in railways (twenty plus years of daily commuting by train to London helped) I've never had the luxury of having sufficient space or the money to set up a layout to the degree one needs for maximum enjoyment from the hobby.

My father obviously thought model railways were a good thing as one Christmas (1954 or thereabouts) I was given a clockwork 'O' gauge Hornby 0-4-0 loco train set - Loco and two wagons. When the mechanism was overwound it had the habit of rapidly removing the tinplate bodywork which was held to the chassis by folded over tabs! My other childhood train as a Christmas present was an Ever Ready London Underground Train which also had a very short spell in my ownership. Living in the countryside some distance from a railway line and 100 miles from London I never had the experience of seeing trains in action which might have made me keep the trains. Also Dinky Toy cars and trucks were instant out of the box playthings which didn't need tracks to be assembled or connected to the electricity to make them work.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:39 am

GBOAC002 wrote:A ubiquitous sight on UK Southern Region network. We had a couple of Type 33s on shed here for years.

Going very slightly off topic now so I apologise in advance. Although I now have an interest in railways (twenty plus years of daily commuting by train to London helped) I've never had the luxury of having sufficient space or the money to set up a layout to the degree one needs for maximum enjoyment from the hobby.

My father obviously thought model railways were a good thing as one Christmas (1954 or thereabouts) I was given a clockwork 'O' gauge Hornby 0-4-0 loco train set - Loco and two wagons. When the mechanism was overwound it had the habit of rapidly removing the tinplate bodywork which was held to the chassis by folded over tabs! My other childhood train as a Christmas present was an Ever Ready London Underground Train which also had a very short spell in my ownership. Living in the countryside some distance from a railway line and 100 miles from London I never had the experience of seeing trains in action which might have made me keep the trains. Also Dinky Toy cars and trucks were instant out of the box playthings which didn't need tracks to be assembled or connected to the electricity to make them work.
My layout will be South Eastern themed eventaully but with enough licence to run anything really - call it a preservation railway. But the 33 is part of the main theme itself along with 73s, 66s, EMUs and whole host of Southern and later BR southern steam.
Space is always an issue with a layout. A big space not being availble is the biggest issue.

I had a 6' * 4' triple tracked board built by grandad which lived in the garage, shed and other places like that. Extreem hot and cold and the amount of times it was moved meant in the end it collapsed but i never lost the bug...just put it on hold.

Commuting the joy - 20 years of it here too - such joy, such delight. But it is a lot better than it used to be. We used to boil in summer and freeze in winter. now we have aircon we freeze in summer and boil in winter ;)

Another mail carriage - used to be a big post office rail depot at Tonbridge

Andy
Andy

CraigyGT

Post by CraigyGT » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:50 pm

Nice stuff Andy. Is that 33 a Heljan model? Hard to tell since i sold mine.

Guessing those lovely RM parcel wagons are Bachmann products? Do like the red one very much. A rake being pulled behind the 33 would look great.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:21 am

Thanks Craig

33 is a Heljan - i saw you sold them and are now replacing them with planes - i don't want to go there even though i have 2 :roll:

RM wagons are Bachmann - they did a series of 4 through the ages for Modelzone in very limited quantities which as you can see i'm tracking down

Andy
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:48 am

A beer wagon. Brewers of one of my favourite tipples, Shepherd Neame has been around since 1698.

You may enjoy the adverts in the second link. Place tongue firmly in cheek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd_Neame_Brewery

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/spitfire-adverts/

Andy
Andy

David MG

Post by David MG » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Andy,
Must say that Spifire, especially on draught, is one of my favourite ales. Bishop's Finger is OK but the higher ABV spoils the pleasure.
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:53 am

David

A man of remarkably good taste. Bishops Finger is a bit of an acquired taste i think.

What think you of Harveys Best, Fullers London Pride as these along with Spitfire are some of my favourites?

A couple more special wagons
WH & HL May Hop Factors

This will go nicely as i am planning a brewery on the layout.

The Marley Tile Co

A local company who have been going for over 100 years

Andy
Andy

David MG

Post by David MG » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:32 am

Can't recall Harveys but Fullers London Pride is certainly up with the best.
Well's Bombadier used to be good but they seemed to have changed the brew.
Wadworth's 6X also slips down nicely.
I detest the two Manchester beers, Boddingtons and Robinsons (although this is really a Stockport beer) Almost as much as I dislike Greenalls from Warrington. If a pub has these shingles hanging outside, unless I know it has guest ales, it's walk on by.
Last edited by David MG on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:38 am

This is Harveys - went on a brewery tour with the old man a few weeks back 8-)

http://www.harveys.org.uk/

Andy
Andy

David MG

Post by David MG » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:48 am

scalainj wrote:This is Harveys - went on a brewery tour with the old man a few weeks back 8-)

http://www.harveys.org.uk/

Andy
Andy,
Don't recognise the brews. Have spent a lot of time in Sussex with some of Lynne's rellies (Haywards Heath & Lewes).
Will look out for them in future.
Talking of Brewery trips when we went to Scotland for our hols we visited over a period of time, every malt whisky distillery that has hospitality facilities.
Bowmore on Islay was the best, more of that anon.
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:25 am

David - can't miss the brewery in Lewes. Its right on the river

Been to one or 2 distilleries - Lochnagar - HRH Prince Charles distillery was the one i remember most

Andy
Andy

David MG

Post by David MG » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:56 am

scalainj wrote:David - can't miss the brewery in Lewes. Its right on the river

Been to one or 2 distilleries - Lochnagar - HRH Prince Charles distillery was the one i remember most

Andy
Ah! The problem was that my SILs husband only drinks Boddingtons (and he is from Yorkshire), so my visits to Lewes were mainly fuelled by lager !
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:25 am

Lager? Boddingtons? Blasphemy ;)

Another travelling post office coach - different variant to the previous 2

Andy
Andy

David MG

Post by David MG » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:34 am

scalainj wrote:Lager? Boddingtons? Blasphemy ;)

Andy
You can see how bad it was Image
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 am

I took some pictures of one of the more oddball engines i have, the Q1, that was designed and produced specifically because of the increase in freight traffic during WW2. Before WW2 and today the Southern railway is primarily a passenger network with limited goods traffic but the outbreak of war meant that heavy goods engines were required and this is the result.
Its a Bullied design, totaly austere and simple, more powerful than anything else in its class and way lighter and 40 of them entered service in 1942 and it was so successful it lasted till the end of steam in 1967. There is one left preserved on the Bluebell railway

Andy
Andy

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:52 pm

It does look...purposeful!!! :roll:
-Julio-