Trains

Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
Rat

Re: Trains

Post by Rat » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:38 pm

I'm used to seeing steamers with a complex outside valve gear but this thing is the exact opposite, everything is hidden on the inside. Simply interesting in its simplicity. :D

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:35 am

Rat wrote:I'm used to seeing steamers with a complex outside valve gear but this thing is the exact opposite, everything is hidden on the inside. Simply interesting in its simplicity. :D
Bulleid was certainly innovative. I imagine that this 'simplicity' and purity of form made it a PITA to maintain though, with nothing visible or accessible from the outside. Other designs of his were equally unusual, but again turned out to be flawed in practice.
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:24 am

DeadCanDanceR wrote:It does look...purposeful!!! :roll:
Thanks Julio

And it was - very but what it really needs is weathering to make it filty as these were rarely cleaned
Rat wrote:I'm used to seeing steamers with a complex outside valve gear but this thing is the exact opposite, everything is hidden on the inside. Simply interesting in its simplicity. :D
Thanks Tom

As Dave said, Bullied was very innovative and turned out some very interesting designs, this being perhaps a more unusual one
guitardave_1 wrote: Bulleid was certainly innovative. I imagine that this 'simplicity' and purity of form made it a PITA to maintain though, with nothing visible or accessible from the outside. Other designs of his were equally unusual, but again turned out to be flawed in practice.
His designs were noted for their difficulty in maintaining, hence why the Spam Cans were rebuilt which also happens to my favourite. Do like a BOB Spam Can in sunshine livery

Here's another loco from the Southern region, introduced in 1899, and finally withdrawn from service in 1961, this model depicts the Royal Locomotive used for pulling the Royal train when on Southern region routes

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:33 pm

scalainj wrote:
guitardave_1 wrote: Bulleid was certainly innovative. I imagine that this 'simplicity' and purity of form made it a PITA to maintain though, with nothing visible or accessible from the outside. Other designs of his were equally unusual, but again turned out to be flawed in practice.
His designs were noted for their difficulty in maintaining, hence why the Spam Cans were rebuilt which also happens to my favourite. Do like a BOB Spam Can in sunshine livery

Andy
My knowledge is patchy, but I thought that was the case. Personally, I think they look superb in rebuilt form. Never fell for the air-smoothed casing so much.

Have a soft spot for Clan Line, being local(ish) to me. She always seems to be immaculately turned out.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:45 am

A new wagon and one of the better detailed i've seen in OO (1/76). It is an Autoballaster and it does what it says on the tin. They run in rakes of 5, one being a generator wagon which this is so only another 4 to go. Made by Bachmann

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Detail is exceptional on that Andy. You'd be forgiven for thinking it must be a bigger scale than it really is.

CraigyGT

Post by CraigyGT » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Bachmann are excellent. Only way of putting it. Probably the most impressive OO wagon i have seen. I thought Hornby had topped it with the Seacow ballast hoppers but this is in another league!

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:34 am

guitardave_1 wrote:Detail is exceptional on that Andy. You'd be forgiven for thinking it must be a bigger scale than it really is.
CraigyGT wrote:Bachmann are excellent. Only way of putting it. Probably the most impressive OO wagon i have seen. I thought Hornby had topped it with the Seacow ballast hoppers but this is in another league!
Thanks Gents. Detail is unbelievable when you consider the scale and that it was 22 quid as well. The battle between Hornby and Bachmann is terrific as the quality of the models is improving rapidly. For contrast here's a Hornby of a Luggage Brake Van that has been weathered.This is a pre war van and was released by Hornby a few years back and is terrific too.
Looks good with a Spam Can and line of Maunsells

Andy
Andy

CraigyGT

Post by CraigyGT » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Looks like the coaches London Midland ( Current franchise operator here ) are still using :lol:

Rat

Post by Rat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:42 pm

CraigyGT wrote:Looks like the coaches London Midland ( Current franchise operator here ) are still using :lol:
Good one Craig... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ballast wagon looks very impressive. It will be even more impressive when you have all 5 cars coupled together. That's a great add to your rail yard, Andy.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:39 am

CraigyGT wrote:Looks like the coaches London Midland ( Current franchise operator here ) are still using :lol:
Up until 5 years ago we were still using slam door mate, some built on pre war chassis!!
Rat wrote:
Good one Craig... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ballast wagon looks very impressive. It will be even more impressive when you have all 5 cars coupled together. That's a great add to your rail yard, Andy.
Thanks Tom - i'm waiting for the other variants to come out so i can build a rake of 5. Will look good i think

Following on from the Southern Luggage van, here is a rebuilt Battle of Briatain class loco that has been weathered. 110 of the original class were constructed by Bullied and of these 50 were rebuilt without the streamlining and probably the most important, a change to the original valve gear which while innovative was prone to causing the locos catching fire.
Maintainence issues almost disappeared on the rebuilt locos but the changes made them much heavier and so 60 of the original locos remained in service and both types carried on to the withdrawel of steam in 1967. 20, made up of both classes survive in preservation.

Andy
Andy

Rat

Post by Rat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:14 pm

That looks a lot like the German class 01 steamer which is something I'm familiar with. The weathering on your model is just right, not too far overboard as many tend to be. Who makes the model and how does it run? Is the motor in the tender?

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:35 am

Hi Tom

Its a Hornby and the motor is in the engine. Hornby dropped tender drive about 10 years back now and they all have 5 pole skew wound motors driving usually the rear axles of the driving wheels. It was originally very lightly weathered but more was added to reflect a loco thats been used on a good run and now needs a clean.

Andy
Andy

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:42 am

I love the weathered look. Excellent.

David MG

Post by David MG » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:55 am

GBOAC002 wrote:I love the weathered look. Excellent.
During steam's last gasp maintainance crews had a very that'll do 'til they scrap it attitude.
There were a few crews that kept their steeds imacculate, particularly the Princees Coronation (Duchess) class at Camden shed.

There is no smoke, soot, ash, grease and coal smotes now. So how come modern trains looks so dirty ?
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:29 am

Same filth that ends up on your car David.

An old luggage van from Hornby, representing the 28 ton van used by Southern. This model is at least 15 years old. It was made in England

Andy
Andy

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:28 pm

Right on cue, a rebuilt light pacific :)

As David says, the weathered look is completely in keeping with how engines were often maintained, but I still don't like to see them like it. I prefer to blindly picture them all as they normally appear in preservation :|

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:44 am

One was liable to turn up sooner or later Dave. I have mostly unrebuilt examples though.

I understand where you are coming from, only problem is that the clean look is often somewhat at odds with the layout, and tends to make it toylike. Just a preference

Not that i'm concentrating on trains or anything but i thought this a most unusual subject being a Class 37 that has been converted to a Departmental class 97 for Network Rail for use as a test loco for the new European standard ERTMS signalling thats being rolled out across the UK. Produced by Bachmann as a limited edition of 750, i have another forum member to thank for acquiring this for me.

Andy
Andy

sheepCrusher

Post by sheepCrusher » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:33 am

Man, looking at these trains is really dangerous. So very tempting. Good thing they don't come in 1/43. If I win the lottery I'd probably have to buy a separate house just for all the trains, 1/50 construction vehicles, 1/72 military planes, 1/400 civilian planes and 1/43 cars I'd blow it all on. Looking forward to more pictures. Especially like the Autoballaster.
The dog wet on the picnic basket!

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:00 am

sheepCrusher wrote:Man, looking at these trains is really dangerous. So very tempting. Good thing they don't come in 1/43.
Oh but they do! O gauge is basically 1:43 (in the UK - it varies a bit around the world). That's where the big money comes in!

CraigyGT

Post by CraigyGT » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:14 am

As Dave said. 1:43 scale = O Gauge. Things can get very expensive and out of hand if you opt for that route. I think a lot of Bachmann Brass O Gauge locos sell for around £500 each when new.

Nice 37 Andy ;)

sheepCrusher

Post by sheepCrusher » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:39 am

A gentleman at a local model shop sold me some figures that he said were O scale, and putting them next to my models they seemed a little bit larger than 1/43. Maybe I'm too picky. 500 pounds is pretty crazy. What is a good scale to get into and what company makes quality affordable models? Great, now I'm asking the dangerous questions.

I just bought a book of trains this weekend. Help! Not another hobby.
The dog wet on the picnic basket!

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:48 am

Thanks guys. More to come as i just got my hands on a limited BoB Spam Can which i'll post so those of you wondering what the hell a spam can is can see. Dave and i can then argue the merits of Span Can vs Rebuilt ;)

Strictly speaking O guage is 1/43.5 but its close enough to make little difference

The scale of the ones im posting is OO which is 1/76 but they run on HO track 1/87.

OO is a British outline scale and nowhere else uses it, the rest of the world choosing sensibly to model in HO which gives the correct track.

So in terms of whats the best scale I personally think that OO/HO gives the best detail to price ratio as going smaller means similar prices and going bigger means much bigger prices.

Andy
Andy

Rat

Post by Rat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:11 am

I think that's one of the most recognizable British diesel locomotives. She ain't pretty but she's been around a long time so I guess she does the job. Very nice bodywork detail on that model.

Talking about big and expensive, have you looked at LGB prices lately? :o