Alex’s 1:43 Sell-Off

S143 marketplace and member listings.
protzenegger

Alex’s 1:43 Sell-Off

Post by protzenegger » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:11 pm

Hello all,

This has been a long time coming, but the lockdown we've been in for a week now has given me an opportunity to think long and hard about where my money has been going, and the answer to that question of late is sadly "not where I'd like it to." The financial struggle will likely linger given the continued uncertainty ahead, and has not been helped by my particular case of 1:1 ownership.

Of what few models I did purchase in 2019, some of the arrivals produced so little excitement that I didn't bother posting them here; other than one last BBR preorder I made nearly a year ago that's yet to ship, I am no longer inclined to add to my collection - even as slowly as I've been doing it in recent months. Cementing this decision is the fact that early last year my hobby shifted to photography, which has given me far more satisfaction than collecting ever did, and has the potential of at least paying for itself someday. I now find myself wanting to spend money on camera gear and travel, rather than decorations on a shelf, so I'm offloading a number of models here that will hopefully bring enjoyment to one of you folks. More to come later, as I expect to have plenty more time to take photos.

>> Free shipping anywhere in the US ($20 worldwide, $10 extra for global tracking)
>> More photos if you follow the links
>> Reasonable offers welcome, including bundle discount if you purchase more than 1 model
>> First person to purchase gets a 1:64 Hot Wheels Cadillac Cien on the house 😎

Thanks for all the support during my peak collecting days!

~~~~~~~~~~

Audi Avus Quattro (Revell) - chrome, opening doors & trunk / customized by me to more closely match the 1:1

Citroën Survolt (PM / Norev) - 2010 Le Mans Classic running prototype

Honda NSX (HPI) - Sebring Silver Metallic

Lancia Stratos Zero (HPI) - copper

McLaren M12 (Spark) - orange

Mercedes AMG GT (Norev) - Designo Diamond White, dealer edition

Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster (Schuco) - Sepang Brown Metallic

Nismo 400R (HPI) - Deep Marine Blue, II ADO limited edition
"It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability." -Bruce McLaren

Jager

Re: Alex’s 1:43 Sell-Off

Post by Jager » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 pm

Sorry to see you go Alex, but good luck with the sell off. Unfortunately at the moment collectors seem to keeping their hands in their pockets and spending what little spare cash they have on toilet paper, so unfortunately its probably not the best time to be selling off a collection.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:48 am

Agreed Ian.
I been hovering on a theme to cull (US iron or skylines) but in the current economic climate that choice is a moot point.

Good luck on the sales Alex :)

BTW my month lockdown begins Midnight tomorrow.
Scary times.
Lars

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Photography is very absorbing as a hobby and allows one to get out and about (in normal times). It's even easier to spend far more money acquiring kit(Camera/s and lenses various) than 1:43 models.

Secondly - don't expect to get rich selling pics. Thanks to the proliferation of Mobile Phone pics from every man and his dog Photo Libraries pay peanuts and it can take forever to glean very little by way of reward. Many pro's including some big and talented names have dropped out of the game as the returns no longer provide them with a living. I know a man who did very well from 1980 - 2010 but the phone rarely rings nowadays. As we all know there are exceptions to the rule and there are some very talented younger snappers out there. How many have done 'freebies' to get a foot in the door, but get dropped when they try for serious money?...

I have provided images for a number of books in the last seven years. Payment - Nil but six free excellent books now sit on my bookshelf. Invites to book launches. Some of the books have been signed by personalities.

Two more of their authors are working on future books but the story is always the same from their publishers - 'credited pics but no cash'. I will say that I have had some interesting commissions and proof of publication will open doors... Again I'm glad I don't depend on it for a living. In my earliest days of 35mm colour it was usually sufficient if monies earned actually covered initial cost of kit. Luckily I did have a 'proper' job to keep a roof over our heads.

When one considers the cost of what were once affordable entry level DSLRs and the new generation Mirrorless cameras one can drop several hundred/thousands dollars/pounds on decent gear. As a Nikon full frame FX D610 owner since 2013 it's shutter count is edging rapidly towards 150,000 clicks which Nikon considers to be a end of working life target.

A D850 is my dream machine but at 2,500GBP is likely to remain a dream. It came on the market at 3,800GBP. A rumoured updated replacement will surely be pushing toward 5000GBP if the recently announced D6 is anything to go by. With the Japan Olympics now postponed until 2021 I imagine many high end camera producers will be wondering if they'll still be around next year.

I'm not normally a 'Doom Merchant' and the above may be considered overly dramatic but I still enjoy my photography (since 1964) but I'd say collecting 1:43s is cheap and gratifying indoors alternative suitable for times like were experiencing now.

As you always buy top quality models you invariably recoup a better than average price on selling on.
Last edited by GBOAC002 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:46 pm

Jager wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 pm
Sorry to see you go Alex, but good luck with the sell off. Unfortunately at the moment collectors seem to keeping their hands in their pockets and spending what little spare cash they have on toilet paper, so unfortunately its probably not the best time to be selling off a collection.
Thanks Ian. Interestingly, someone in the EU just bought a 1:18 from me this morning, so it's nice to see pockets of society where life is carrying on without major panic. I guess the other good news is that most of these should still be available post-quarantine if we all make it through 😃 I'll have a couple more to add to the list by then, as well.
rotormotor wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:48 am
Good luck on the sales Alex :)

BTW my month lockdown begins Midnight tomorrow.
Scary times.
Thanks dude, stay safe over there!

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:45 pm

Nice Citroen Survolt. I saw the purple 1:1 at 2010 Geneva Show and the blue sport version at Goodwood FoS. I love the way the Le Mans Sport presages the Chiron and can't help comparing it to the recently announced Chiron Pur Sport, especially that rear wing! It makes me wonder if there is some crossover in designers/influences between Citroen/Bugatti designs.

Admittedly the Veyron concepts/prototypes were around in early mid 2000s well before the Citroen Concept which I consider to be a great effort. The fact of the side curve feature which arrived on Chiron in 2016, horizontal front headlight slash openings and one piece high rear wing being so similar to Chiron Pur Sport it must make a few people wonder? Citroen styling concepts have always been avant garde and Survolt never went beyond drivable prototype or into serious motorsport.

Alex: What are your thoughts about the origins/ 'similarities' from your experience in the car design field?

The Revell Avus also sits in my collection. I recall it played a very early part in the evolution of Veyron.

dcast

Post by dcast » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Perhaps videos might still provide more stable living, some Youtubers can make pretty good money on their videos from ads, campaigns with companies, affiliate marketing and so on.
Wouldn't it be a dream "job" if one could earn a living just by making videos of diecast models ;)

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:55 pm

dcast wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:52 pm
Perhaps videos might still provide more stable living, some Youtubers can make pretty good money on their videos from ads, campaigns with companies, affiliate marketing and so on.
Wouldn't it be a dream "job" if one could earn a living just by making videos of diecast models ;)
If only I had the skill & patience for marketing schmoozing and video production 😜 (Would also help if I didn't majorly hate being on video.) In our office I sit across from the video team, and lemme tell ya, good editing is not simple work! I am constantly in awe at what they do - wouldn't be surprised if a quality YouTuber presenting cars spends a day shooting video & the rest of the week making it watchable.