Spark cancelations

News, Rumors and Gossip
oldirish33

Spark cancelations

Post by oldirish33 »

I just got notified by Grand Prix Models that some Spark models have been cancelled by Spark. These are ones I have had on preorder for some time and I guess though disappointed, I'm not surprised. There are probably others, these are just the ones I know of. :x

Aston Martin P212 Le Mans 1962 #11. SPK2412
Tojeiro EE Le Mans 1962 #25 Ecosse. SPK4769
Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage Le Mans 60 #25. SPK4727
Aston Martin DB3 Le Mans 1952 #27. SPK2434
Jerry
Old Irish Racing Collection
https://www.oldirish.com/collection/models2.html

Jager

Re: Spark cancelations

Post by Jager »

Bugger. I had the #24 Maserati on pre-order so I'll assume that's now gone too.

I was looking forward to the Tojeiro EE to display on my Ecorie Ecosse transporter too.

It seems a bit strange as I would have thought these would all sell well, especially the Birdcage Maseratis. Given it three different marques I assume its not a licensing issue, so wonder what else it could be?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Jager wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:55 pm
Bugger. I had the #24 Maserati on pre-order so I'll assume that's now gone too.

I was looking forward to the Tojeiro EE to display on my Ecorie Ecosse transporter too.

It seems a bit strange as I would have thought these would all sell well, especially the Birdcage Maseratis. Given it three different marques I assume its not a licensing issue, so wonder what else it could be?
Yeah, I would have thought so too. However, Matrix Tipo 61's are readily still available retail, indicating demand might not be high enough. They have worked the AM P214 pretty good, so maybe they don't feel it has enough gas in the tank to make a P212 version. The DB3 I can get as a handbuilt if I want it bad enough. I may have to try and model the Tojeiro from a code 3 Politoys Lola GT I have. Shape is similar.

I noticed that Spark has also removed a couple of Austin Healeys from the catalog I was interested as well. I don't think there are enough collectors interested in some of the cars from eras we are interested in unfortunately.
Jerry

Jager

Post by Jager »

A while ago I asked John from SPR about these 'cancellations'. He's finally heard back from Spark who advised him "We didn’t announce cancellation of these models, but we need longer time to work on the development."

So, good news/bad news. We will get them, but might just have to wait several more years (despite waiting several years already).
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Longer than have already taken? Their reply sounds somewhat dubious :D. Some of us don't have years more to wait. :lol: Hope they come through with some of them.
Jerry