Otto

News, Rumors and Gossip
GBOAC002

Otto

Post by GBOAC002 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:33 am

Recently MAR the online version of the old printed 'Model Auto Review' carried a news article about OTTO now owning the Solido brand. That would suggest good news for us 1:43 fans. However it seems one of their first efforts is to utilise IXO pw mould on a VW 1302 with the 'Solido' tampo printed name applied to the baseplate. Can we hope that they will move beyond this easy route and start manufacturing (in diecast metal) models to the levels seen in their 1:18s.

Also they are reviving the military models which are a different scale.

Does anyone else have any more info on their future plans.

David MG

Re: Otto

Post by David MG » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:45 am

There was an article in Model Collector a few months back. Sorry, can't remember what it said re. new releases.
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:46 am

I'm not sure they own the brand.
I read an interview in Model Collector that stated they had come to an agreement with Dickie Samba to run the brand on their behalf
I know they have been re-viving the old tooling in 1/18 and enhancing it and have released a couple of re-tooled models - Mk1 Golf was one
From re-collection the plan is to re-vive and enhance the 43rd tooling and then follow it with new tooling depending on success. Same plan as the 18s

But essentially they are aiming at the gap in the market that has opened up as MC/Spark/Neo etc have moved up in price in both scales
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks Andy. That certainly makes sense. Fingers crossed that the partnership will raise standards appropriately.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:55 am

...whilst maintaining a good price/performance ratio, which is the reason for success. Otto's prices have gone up considerably over the last couple of years.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:04 am

There have been some amazing well made and finished 1:43 diecast models at low prices in recent years from Starline -Lambo 350 GTV, M4 - Alfa 8C Coupe and Spider, and Welly with their GT line up up - Pagani Huayra. Amongst their partworks series IXO too have produced some stunners. Lamborghini Miura Spider Concept and Aventador Spider to name just two. So we know it can be done. Welly (so far) do not seem to have built on that initial success. Following on Minichamps/PMA original business model and doing monthly releases at sensible money might be a start.

When producing models under the Ferrari Licence Kyosho and IXO were doing a good job with affordable and excellent diecast metal Ferraris. But HW when they took over it took a while for them to realise that the market were more discerning than they gave us credit for. However they ultimately hoisted prices too far.

Wonder how long it'll be before Burago realise we are not 'toy' consumers? or that we can't all afford resin prices either....?

There is no doubt it is easy to be an armchair critic but someone in Marketing and Sales out there can surely see product quality and the right price is a recipe for success. Perhaps OTTO will bring that balance that we all seek?
Last edited by GBOAC002 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:15 am

We might be overestimating total profit there.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:35 am

I agree Tom, there has to be enough return to sustain production of new items so a reasonable profit is indeed important.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:56 am

I think PW series are quite profitable because the same models can be issued in several variations in different countries, so the cost of making the mould, licencing etc. can be amortised over huge numbers of models. When the PW series are done, there's always the Whitebox/PremiumX/Triple 9/Ixo labels under which to market upgraded versions which are mostly easy to make and can be sold at a nice premium to collectors. There must be an immense stock of moulds under the several labels from which it is quite easy to assemble yet another PW series, with few or no basic costs beyond manufacturing the actual models.
That is a lot harder when you issue a model straight to the collector's market- beyond colour variations and the occasional 'upgrade' there is not a lot of money to be made once the model is released.

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:28 am

The 1985 Safari winner is very, very tempting. Otto MSRP is cheaper than the original HPI MSRP. :shock: Why do I feel like I am getting pulled back to 1:18?

The Maltings

Post by The Maltings » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:31 am

Mazda RX7 Group B car on their stand at the Toy Fair now as well!

Zeus

Post by Zeus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:04 pm

dbonser wrote:The 1985 Safari winner is very, very tempting. Otto MSRP is cheaper than the original HPI MSRP. :shock: Why do I feel like I am getting pulled back to 1:18?

DC2, DC2, DC2!!!!!!!!!
I'm not addicted to models, an addict admits their problems & I don't have a problem.

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:40 pm

Zeus wrote:
dbonser wrote:The 1985 Safari winner is very, very tempting. Otto MSRP is cheaper than the original HPI MSRP. :shock: Why do I feel like I am getting pulled back to 1:18?

DC2, DC2, DC2!!!!!!!!!
I didn't realize you were a big Integra fan.

Zeus

Post by Zeus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:18 pm

dbonser wrote:
Zeus wrote:

DC2, DC2, DC2!!!!!!!!!
I didn't realize you were a big Integra fan.
Yep, my Eleanor. Something always prevents me from getting one & when I drive one something goes wrong with the car. Love the DC2s
I'm not addicted to models, an addict admits their problems & I don't have a problem.