Figure Source

oldirish33

Figure Source

Post by oldirish33 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:08 pm

I think the question I get asked the most, is where do you get your figures used in your photos. While the answer is a variety of sources such as Denizen, Track Pass, Le Mans Minatures, etc., most of them have had to be painted. Painting 50's & 60's drivers is not so problematic because helmets and uniforms were fairly simple. As advertising and helmet designs changed in the 70's on, I find it more difficult. Its not what I am best at and as I get older I find hand control and eyesight diminish making it harder to paint figures with fine detail. So, if I can find already painted figures so much the better!

For a variety of reasons I am always somewhat reluctant to divulge a good source when I find one. However, I know many will find this information useful and I know the artist is worthy of all the business he can get. I would recommend to you Mexican artist Jose Casar who does business under the name hobbydioramics on ebayhttps://www.ebay.com/sch/hobbydioramics/m.html? ... pg=&_from= . I am not affiliated with him in any way, just a very satisfied customer. I have purchased over 30 figures from Jose in 1/43 and 1/24, including some custom ones he has done for me. I have always found his prices, including shipping to be very reasonable and great value for money. Not as detailed as some you might find on ebay, but at a fraction of the cost. I'll post some of his work in my collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing
www.oldirish.com

LUW

Re: Figure Source

Post by LUW » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:25 pm

I've seen his work before. Pretty good for the price.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:45 pm

The few times I've tried painting figures, I've found the overalls and boots to be relatively easy. It's getting the face right that is difficult. Even the model making companies seem to find this difficult and the figures from Brumm look like jelly bean men.

The best pre-painted figures I've found so far are easily the mechanics from TSM (available in white, blue and Gulf orange) :

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:48 am

I also think TSM are the best, BUT you pay the price for that.

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:53 am

I wish I'd bought a couple when they were on sale. Problem was that I didn't have the models to display them with and adding the 904s to my MAN transporter already cost me a bundle (albeit in 1:18 exchange form).

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 am

What we Le Mans collectors need is an affordable set of pre-painted Hawaiian Tropic girls :

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am

At least painting the 'clothing' will not be too challenging...

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:28 am

Tom wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am
At least painting the 'clothing' will not be too challenging...
Good one!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing
www.oldirish.com

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:32 am

Jager wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:45 pm

The best pre-painted figures I've found so far are easily the mechanics from TSM (available in white, blue and Gulf orange.
I agree. I like the 1/43 drivers that Le Mans Miniatures has produced recently. Hope they expand their range in that scale.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing
www.oldirish.com

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:17 pm

Jager wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 am
What we Le Mans collectors need is an affordable set of pre-painted Hawaiian Tropic girls at a reasonable price.
There. Fixed it for you.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:34 pm

So affordable has to be at a reasonable price? :lol:

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:59 pm

Yep, so that I can buy 'em :mrgreen:

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:49 am

This company doesn't make any modern rece drivers (and the biggest part is focused on Soviet characters), yet you can find Tazio Nuvolari or Enzo Ferrari figurines. I only focus on civil figurines and these are among the very best I got in my collection. I am thinking of getting the F. Porsche with a miniature 356 in his hands :lol:

Those are not cheap but they are super detailed and have nicele painted faces (I got the lady with a mobile in her hands and the pin-up changing the tyre).

North Star Models

https://northstarmodels.com/product-cat ... 3-figures/
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:47 am

A few months ago I almost bought a painted Nuvolari figure from them:
But the high price made me chicken out :cry:

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:06 pm

North Star does make some very nice figures and I have a couple. The figure on the right in this photo is a pre-painted North Star compared to a Denizen on the left. If you subscribe to their newsletter, they run sales from time to time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing
www.oldirish.com

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:29 pm

LUW wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:47 am
But the high price made me chicken out :cry:
I've had the same thoughts, especially when you stop and think you can buy a new car for the price for the figure. At least the figures take up less space !

I remember last year someone showed a 1930's Bugatti, with a driver figure of Ettore Bugatti. That was quite tempting, but in the end there were other priorities.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Here' and old thread from 2016 about the figures of BM Toys of Belarus that might also be of interest.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10727

dcast

Post by dcast » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:42 am

Paid 19,95 Euros from my TSM mechanic set, there's 4 figurines in it so basically it's 5 Euros per figurine. Not too expensive I think. Ordered them from Modelissimo in 2015, I don't remember though was there some kind of sale campaign or was it the full price.