My Inspiration

oldirish33

My Inspiration

Post by oldirish33 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:48 pm

Some years ago I was fortunate to be able to pick up these two small dioramas from Racing Dioramics https://www.racingdioramics.us/ through a dealer liquidating a collection. I had not heard of the company before, but was struck with the work and quality that went into their work. If you aren't familiar with them, Crittenden Rumford and Nestor Spinelli are the artists responsible for the work. Crittenden hand sculpts the figures with facial detail that I have never seen equalled in 1/43 and Nestor is a master kit builder. While they currently focus on small runs of modern F1, they have made a number single piece dioramas of older F1 cars as seen here. They also do consignments for figures (wish I could afford them).

The point of this epistle is not a commercial for Racing Dioramics, but how their work has been one of the major inspirations for the dioramas I make and the photos I take of my collection. I know I can't replicate the detail of their work, but one thing I appreciated from the beginning is that they have created a small scene which has a story. That story is really up to the individual viewer to decide, but these static pieces convey as sense of action. From that, I have tried to create dioramas and small scenes which convey a story.

1958 Vanwall VW5 - Tony Brooks, Nurburgring: Brooks won the German GP for Vanwall, finishing ahead of his teammate Stirling Moss. This piece conveys action to me of Brooks in the lead, traveling through the Nurburgring forest, a strong look of determination and concentration on his face.

1957 Ferrari 801 F1 - Luigi Musso, Reims: Musso finished the French GP in second place behind Fangio in a Maserati and ahead of his teammates Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorne; with whom he had a race long battle. Contrary to the Vanwall piece, in this one Musso sits calmly having a final smoke, composed while last minute preparation goes on around him (mechanics are my addition.) A taker of chances, he would die at Reims the following year trying to over take Hawthorne.

These are my inspiration and what drives me to do better, knowing I have a long way to go to.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Re: My Inspiration

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:48 am

Those are fantastic, good for hours of enjoyment by simply looking at them.

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:20 am

Without a doubt those are the best figurines I've seen in 1:43.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:51 am

I've discovered the work of Crittenden many years ago through some forums, and although their subjects are not what I am interested in (race car drivers), this was like a benchmark for me to search for the better quality and more accurate figurines in 1/43, mainly because it IS possible to make them look realistic!

Lovely dioramas and a nice story to read!

PS. I just remembered also years ago I used to follow some French 1/43 forums and there was a Swiss guy re-making partwork James Bond dioramas to an extreme level, and those were real "frozen moments".. let me dig in my archives and see if I find them..

Edit: found them on the forum, I hope you don't mind if I post them here? if you do let me know and I'll delete this part:
This guy used to modify Preiser figures so he could achieve actor's looks:
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:47 am

I remember Crittenden Rumford from a forum I used to visit over a decade ago, quite the character. The work is top notch and in my eyes, art.
Jeff
ImageImage

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:01 am

Wow, serious improvements!

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:28 am

No worries Paulius, nice to see them. Inspiration comes from many sources.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:46 pm

I too remember the name Crittenden Rumford from a forum I used to lurk back in about 2008 to 2009. Clearly a master of the craft and Jerry, don't sell yourself short on your skills either.

I do watch your threads with great respect but rarely comment for I really know nothing about these vintage races and associated cars.

Hope you're mending well :) BB
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:01 am

Paulius43 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:51 am
.......this was like a benchmark for me to search for the better quality and more accurate figurines in 1/43, mainly because it IS possible to make them look realistic!
Exactly, it is possible to make realistic figures in 1:43, so why do some manufacturers continue to churn out jellybean men (and women). Is it that its too hard, or they just don't care (near enough is good enough).
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:05 am

It is expensive to make good figurines.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Jager wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:01 am
Exactly, it is possible to make realistic figures in 1:43, so why do some manufacturers continue to churn out jellybean men (and women). Is it that its too hard, or they just don't care (near enough is good enough).
[/quote]

Hand crafting vs. mass production. Remember each of the figures here were hand sculpted and/or made, modified individually. I probably invest 3-4 hours in a figure and know they could be much better with more time, patience and artistic skill. Anyway, not possible to do volume quantity at a low price point and hope to achieve same detail. That said, there seems to be a gap in figure quality between manufacturers. My theory is that figures in models made in resin seem to be better than those made in diecast. I think it has to do with the large numbers a diecast model requires and better detail is a compromise because of numbers. Price point is also a consideration. I think we would all agree that if Brumm models sold for the same as Spark, overall expectation for quality would rise substantially.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:50 am

Interesting post Jerry. I do also look for inspiration for dioramas so found this piece of interest.
For me personally I have read many articles about how best to paint figures and we can certainly learn alot from military modelers. Appreciate their figures tend to be larger than 1:43 but the principles are the same, a lot of practice and time.
Currently I don't paint enough figures but when I do the experiance can be very therapeutic and without question it brings a model to life. It is something I feel we need to do more of towards promoting our hobby.
Thanks for the the inspiration Jerry.
Need to buy more figures!

By the way do you use acrylic or enamels?
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:48 am

LM24HRS wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:50 am
By the way do you use acrylic or enamels?
Paul, thanks! I use acrylic as its easier to thin down and correct errors. I dont think you need to buy top of the line paints, but dont go cheap. I have through trial and error found a brand I like at a local craft store. You are correct, military modelers are expert in shading and shadow on figures and their techniques transend. I can easily identify those figures I hastily made and those I spent more time on. Enjoy!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

IFHP

Post by IFHP » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:29 am

Great discussion and dioramas.
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr