The beginning....

Alex_W

The beginning....

Post by Alex_W » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:31 pm

...of a diorama.

I've been inspired by the excellent dioramas I've seen on the forum to attempt one of my own (because I really need another hobby :roll: ).

I've done photo backdrops for my Indy collection...

...and for my dragsters...

... but that isn't quite the same.

I found one of these Plasticville kits for $5 at a swap meet:

I made a few mods and here is where I am so far:

The idea is to add scenery using model railroad techniques and to be able to rotate the structure to give four different photo backdrops for the cars.

Tom

Re: The beginning....

Post by Tom » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:08 am

Very convincing weathering! Perhaps a little railroad 'grass' would add something to the effect.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:59 am

The township needs to make some upgrades to the city garage :lol:

Looking really good already!
Jeff
ImageImage

Alex_W

Calendar Shoot

Post by Alex_W » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:05 pm

I recently attended a model railroad event to look for bargains on 1/43 and O Scale goodies. I always thought of model railroading as just about the tamest hobby in the "man realm". But it turns out those guys have a bit of a wild streak (relatively speaking). At the show I picked up a few interesting white metal figures from a company called Arttista which I thought would be fun to incorporate into a diorama.

Those of us who are "men of certain age" remember the... fascinating... calendars that were ubiquitous in practically every local garage, parts counter and salvage yard in the 1960's and 1970's. For many, it may have been the first time we became aware that there were women who did not fulfill the role of mom, sister, or classmate. So, in honor of those great gals, I present "The Calendar Shoot".

Those were the days.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:49 am

Kind of OT but I am shocked at the quick end to the "Girlie Calendar" in shops. As most here know, my job takes me into about 150 Automotive, Truck, Bus and Airline garages a year and its rare if I see even one.

I know the world changes but who is doing anything to help the poor unemployed calendar models? :lol:
Jeff
ImageImage

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:49 am

JSB33 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:49 am
Kind of OT but I am shocked at the quick end to the "Girlie Calendar" in shops. As most here know, my job takes me into about 150 Automotive, Truck, Bus and Airline garages a year and its rare if I see even one.

I know the world changes but who is doing anything to help the poor unemployed calendar models? :lol:
It's so sad. It makes me want to find one and give her a big hug. Ok, I always wanted to do that, but you know what I mean. :D

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm

JSB33 wrote:
...and its rare if I see even one.
In this part of the world it would be instant dismissal and a sexual harassment claim to display one of those at work. At least we're creating more jobs for lawyers.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 am

Jager wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm
JSB33 wrote:
...and its rare if I see even one.
In this part of the world it would be instant dismissal and a sexual harassment claim to display one of those at work. At least we're creating more jobs for lawyers.
I light a candle daily for the offended :roll:
Jeff
ImageImage