OIR 2020 Dioramas

Tom

Re: OIR 2020 Dioramas

Post by Tom »

Looks great so far Jerry, love the next project too!

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

The Ferrari pits are fantastic Jerry - love the posters on the wall!

I will be sitting back and waiting patiently for the Targa Florio dio - you could go crazy with this race.
Martin

Serafa

Post by Serafa »

Both the pits diorama and the service area are looking superb. People say the devil is in the details, in this case I would say that awesomeness is in the details. I'm just glad that we are able to appreciate your work.
Follow me on Instagram @brimportcollection

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Alfaholic wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:56 pm
The Ferrari pits are fantastic Jerry - love the posters on the wall!

I will be sitting back and waiting patiently for the Targa Florio dio - you could go crazy with this race.
Thanks, I wish I had thought of a way to change out the posters for different years, etc. If I had the wall space, would love a collection of old 50's and 60's Le Mans posters. The TF is going to take some time. I am making the building out of left over flooring scraps from my shop project. Lots of trial and error.
Tom wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:33 pm
Looks great so far Jerry, love the next project too!
Thanks Tom!
Serafa wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:46 am
Both the pits diorama and the service area are looking superb. People say the devil is in the details, in this case I would say that awesomeness is in the details. I'm just glad that we are able to appreciate your work.
Thanks Bruno! I like putting little details in that probably can't be, or aren't seen. What I strive for is something that looks like it belongs there without drawing attention to itself. I appreciate that you appreciate the work.

And now for something new.... Porsche at Le Mans 1965

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

Drool!

Jager

Post by Jager »

Very atmospheric Jerry....it reminds me of some of those historical period shots you see.

We both think alike when it comes to dioramas. Here's my take on a 1965 diorama I created 3 years ago, which you may not have seen before:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=11599
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Thanks Ian. For the life of me, I can't find the #36 car I know I have somewhere. Have you ever seen a photo of the #34 (spare) car? I have a 904 that I want to make into that car, but wanted to be sure if there was a color scheme on the hood, what it was. For now, it resides under a cover! :D

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

Looks as lively and chaotic as I imagine it would've been.

Jager

Post by Jager »

oldirish33 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:05 pm
Have you ever seen a photo of the #34 (spare) car? I have a 904 that I want to make into that car, but wanted to be sure if there was a color scheme on the hood, what it was. For now, it resides under a cover! :D
Nothing definite Jerry. The #34 car was one of the 8 cylinder versions, so differed from the stardard 904's by having the fan in the engine cover.

The only thing I've found which might be a hint is that the same car, chassis #9, appeared at the Nurburgring race a month before Le Mans where it had a simple red stripe running across the bonnet.

Most of the Porsche at the Nurburgring had similar colour stripes, which then must have evolved into the full coloured bonnet for Le Mans. Eg Chassis #1 had a blue stripe at Nurburgring, which became a blue bonnet at Le Mans, while #12 had a green strip at Nurburgring, which became a green bonnet at Le Mans.

On this basis, maybe it had a red bonnet? However, car #33 (another 8 cylinder version) also had a red bonnet. Maybe #33 and #34 were liveried identiccally, with the team taking both cars to the race with a view to choosing one of them to race. The drivers listed for car #34 were all drivers of the other Porsches and it had no driving squad of its own, so given it was withdrawn by Porsche rather than failing to qualify it supports the theory it was just a "T" car and could have looked identical to one of the other cars.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Le Mans and Targa Florio - Le Mans: Well, I have completed the build of the 1960's Le Mans pit boxes. This having to stay home has been good for having plenty of time to work on projects after I finish my daily chores. My original plan was to limit this to represent 1965 and earlier, but I have made some adaptations (as you will see in the photos) which have made it more versatile. I made the election not to put a second floor on this one since it is rarely seen when I take in photos of models and also to fit on a cabinet shelf. I did want to cut out the Esso man, but the small bandsaw I bought for that purpose is in transit somewhere. Eventually maybe. My original plan was to have him fully illuminated when sitting on top, but the lights are not quite bright enough. He is removable.

I have decided that I am going to put the completed diorama bases such as this in my cabinets and the models that I will end up keeping in my collection will go in my wall display cases, grouped by marque or types of car. I hit upon the idea of making changeable marquee boards when I did my last Le Mans diorama and needed it to represent different years. I did the same with this one, which will allow me to interchange models on display in the diorama, either by marque or year raced at Le Mans. Its my idea to interchange the displays from time to time, kind of like a real museum I also decided to make the pit wall/counter changeable as well and for mid-60's Le Mans, the extra pit barrier walls that were added.

In this photo which has 1966 Le Mans cars, the diorama base has the Ford marquee board and pit wall barriers in place.

For years that did not have the pit barriers, the pit counter/wall is reversed and the barrier walls removed.

The marquee sign is interchangeable giving versatility. I will start on another pit building diorama base for 1970's early 80's so I have major periods of Le Mans interest covered, but right now I want to take a break from Le Mans and do something different.

Targa Florio: The Targa has held an interest for a long time and along with the Mille Miglia in my estimation, may be the hardest and most challenging of the endurance races. Something I have wanted to do is build a diorama of the Targa and more particularly, the famous corner in the town of Collesano, where the race course comes down out of the mountains on the flat run to Palermo. Making a small diorama of that corner is a nice break from other building projects as it allowed me to channel my modeling in a new direction, new challenges.

The hardest part of the diorama is the house/apartment building that sits on this iconic corner. I have almost thirty images of this building from different angles, over many years. It has changed alot and frequently! The challenge with that, is that I wanted a building that was representative of the building over a period of time, as I will use it as a backdrop for various Targa models in my collection. I also wanted someone to be able to look at it and recognize it from the Targa. Still some "tweaks" to do yet like window and door trims, rain down pipes, but now that it is done, I can focus on the making the base it will sit on.

I love how the building was used for Targa graffiti over the years. It was also used for putting up posters and flyers too!

As you can see the building has changed over the years.

The house still stands today. If you want to see what it currently looks like, on Google Maps go to Collesand, Provence of Palermo in Sicily. Follow Strada 9 (SP9) into Collesand and the house sits at the intersection of SP9 and Via Isnello. Collesano is where the Targa Florio museum is located.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

Hard to see on my tiny phone screen but I love what you've done so far. Very convincing weathering and a nice translation from black and white to colour. That cannot have been easy and to me you pulled it off very well. Applause!

Also, your LM dios are fantastic. They manage to convey the atmosphere perfectly.

Serafa

Post by Serafa »

This is incredible!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is probably the coolest diorama project I've ever heard so far, I wish you the best of luck in it. It will be an outstanding work for sure.

Is it normal to miss a time I have never experienced in life?
Follow me on Instagram @brimportcollection

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

The LM diorama is fantastic Jerry, but boy-oh-boy, the TF one knocks it out of the park - utter perfection.

I often crosses my mind that I should throw everything else out the window and just focus on building a TF 1:43 collection - you are not helping!! When you start a production run of the TF buildings, I will fight Paul (reeft1) to be at the front of the queue :D
Martin

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

The LM is a masterwork of the TF is freaking fantastic!
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

JSB33 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:57 am
The LM is a masterwork of the TF is freaking fantastic!
Thanks Jeff! I would hardly call anything I do "masterwork", but appreciate the compliment. I have been pleased how the TF project has been turning out. Wish I had more space to build more houses to go with it! :D
Alfaholic wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:36 pm
The LM diorama is fantastic Jerry, but boy-oh-boy, the TF one knocks it out of the park - utter perfection.

I often crosses my mind that I should throw everything else out the window and just focus on building a TF 1:43 collection - you are not helping!! When you start a production run of the TF buildings, I will fight Paul (reeft1) to be at the front of the queue :D
Thanks Martin, but far from perfection, don't look too close you will see the mistakes! :D As I mentioned, I am going to do (or attempt) these dioramas to showcase different parts of my collection. I have several more ideas in mind. That is the challenge I find in my collecting experience right now. I never thought I would say it, but I think I have enough models. ;) Sorry, unless someone gives me a commission, probably won't do another, too many other hills yet to conquer! :D
Serafa wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:40 pm
This is incredible!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is probably the coolest diorama project I've ever heard so far, I wish you the best of luck in it. It will be an outstanding work for sure.

Is it normal to miss a time I have never experienced in life?

Thank you Bruno! Actually there are some others that have done a much better job than I on the TF and is out there on the internet to see. I had originally envisioned a much bigger piece, but don't have the room to dedicate to it. I already have a large Le Mans pit diorama I was going to put in a coffee table, which my wife ended up giving to one of the kids. :D It will likely get broken up into smaller pieces. It is normal to wish the experience of years we didn't get to sample, but we are fortunate that we can read, watch video and envision what it was like and appreciate that experience. I relish the past, but don't want to relive it. ;)
Tom wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:49 am
Hard to see on my tiny phone screen but I love what you've done so far. Very convincing weathering and a nice translation from black and white to colour. That cannot have been easy and to me you pulled it off very well. Applause!

Also, your LM dios are fantastic. They manage to convey the atmosphere perfectly.
Thank you Tom! There are color photos out there, so that part wasn't hard. I hope you enjoy the finished product and probably best viewed on a small screen. :D
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Jager

Post by Jager »

That's fantastic Jerry, how long did that take you ? I'd love to throw myself into a project like that but work keeps getting in the way :D .

Have you seen this 1956 Mille Miglia diorama/ I posted this on the old Autobarn forum 14 years ago and hope it gives you some ideas and inspiration.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Jager wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:36 am
That's fantastic Jerry, how long did that take you ? I'd love to throw myself into a project like that but work keeps getting in the way :D .
Thanks Ian! I'm not sure exactly how many hours I put into the building once I had all the pieces and parts. I made it from flooring scraps from my shop, the windows, doors, railing and roofing are O scale ready made items, just needed to be painted. I probably worked on it for an hour or two a day over a week or so. I'm sure you could find an hour or so every other day to work on something. ;) Great work stress reliever!

Yes, I have seen that MM diorama, excellent work! Funny you should mention Autobarn as I just bought a couple models from them. I'm not sure how much permanent detail I am going to put into this. My son and I are rebuilding my 1/32 slot track in the garage loft and this might become slot track scenery, so want to keep the scale fluid. The rail crossing does give me some ideas however. :D
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

gilma

Post by gilma »

Very impressive work on all the dioramas, look very realistic 8-) The Targa Florio house is beutiful and so realistic, I really look forward to seeing that finished diorama. What materials did you use for that?

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

gilma wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:04 am
Very impressive work on all the dioramas, look very realistic 8-) The Targa Florio house is beutiful and so realistic, I really look forward to seeing that finished diorama. What materials did you use for that?
Thanks Gil, I appreciate that! As I mentioned in a previous comment, the house base is made from laminated wood scraps from the flooring project in my new shop. I used a couple models similar to ones in pictures of the real house and "eye balled" the height and width, keeping in mind display base size restrictions. As I have also mentioned, this is a really old building that has gone through a number of exterior changes, so I settled on a exterior compromise.

Once I knew my exterior dimensions, I cut out pieces for the walls. I then cut out windows and doors with my dremel, knowing I would have to file and fill to make them as square as possible. If I was a more masterful modeller, I would have done a better job! Once it was glued together, I used Milliput for filler to make the corners rounder and fill gaps. (Despite appearances, the simulated wood surface is smooth)

Knowing the piece was going to be subjected to handling, I wanted to make sure it was well braced and supported inside. Note liberal application of Gorilla Glue. Again, if I were a more masterful modeller....

You had asked about materials, so beside the house itself, I used Grandt Line O Scale windows and doors. The tile roof came from JTT Scenery and the fencing from EZ Scale Models. Everything else was fabricated by me, or like the stone walks, material I had on hand. The roof presented some issues. There wasn't a great deal of pitch to the original roof and the 'tile' I used comes in plastic sheets which are pliable, but don't easily conform to angles. I made some trussing to support the roof, but am not 100% satisfied with it. I may end up redoing, using smaller sections and over lapping to get to lay flatter.

I painted using stone texture spray paint over rust colored primer. I then lightly sanded the sides to give a stucco/plaster like look. I then painted using an acrylic based blend of colors to get the desired shade. All trim, roof, etc. are also all painted using acrylics to get the desired look and effect.

This is how it sits, now on its base, as of this morning. More detail work yet to do, but it is getting there!

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

I love it!

gilma

Post by gilma »

Wow, very impressive result,with that stone effect and color, and it's good to know I'm not the only one having trouble cutting out straight windows and doors.....

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Thanks gentlemen! Here is a "test" shot of the diorama, needs some fine tuning yet, but mostly there.

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

Superb!
Must be a very low-speed corner though... :D

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

Wonderful work Jerry - and the choice of vehicles is spot on ;)
Martin