Anything LeMans

Bluesteel66

Re: Anything LeMans

Post by Bluesteel66 »

The canopies are excellent idea too !!

Jager

Post by Jager »

Here' two more pictures I found which might interest you.

1973 Le Mans pre-race preparations:

1973 Watkins Glen pre-race preparations (love the wooden crates which were presumably used to transport the bodywork):

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Excellent photos thank you .. in those days it’s a case of ...make do and mend ..especially when miles from home and on the move 🤣👍🏻

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Interesting photos, which shows the endless possibilities. Here is a new piece I have sitting on the workbench. I am taking a break for awhile from Le Mans pit and paddock scenes and aim to do some Le Mans track dioramas. One that has been on my mind has been the White House corner, or Maison Blanche. Not part of the circuit since the 70's, the tricky corner is an iconic part of Le Mans which was replaced by what's now called the Porsche Curves. Still early days on this one and it will probably be on a far back burner until summer leaves this part of the world and winter sets in.

I got this White House model some time back and put it together recently. I think the scale proportions are about right, but I think it needs a great deal of work to make it look right (too green and the roof tile colors are not right.) I am trying to decide if I want to just build a building from scratch or not. Part of why this is going to sit for awhile. I do have the road pretty much as I want it. It will sit on a 18.5" x 20" (47 x 51 cm) masonite base.

I am leaning towards doing the corner from the 50's - early 60's, before they installed armco barriers. Similar to this image. Stay tuned.

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Jager

Post by Jager »

We'll all be looking forward to that with interest Jerry.

I think this is the picture on which the artwork was based. As you may have already noted, in the 1950's Maison Blanche didn't have the Martini sign painted on the roof. Note also that the track ran almost parallel to the side of the building rather than in front of the building. Effectively, you need to turn the building 90 degrees anti-clockwise or re-align the track unless your happy with some artistic licence.

The building apparently still exists, so you might be able to get some images of the layout and scale from google maps.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Yes, I am still toying with it, trying to make things work in the space allotted. That's one of the challenges. May have to take some artistic license to make it work in the end, but going for something that conveys the idea, not 100% accuracy. I'll update as more progress is made.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Jager

Post by Jager »

Here's a great scene from 1967 and the Gulf Mirage team before the race at their base which looks likes it was a Renault garage. I don't recall seeing this in any other Le Mans pictures, but might ask on a few other forums if anyone knows where it is.

IFHP

Post by IFHP »

I like your project Jerry and look forward to seeing more of it. There is something about the Maison Blanche that captures my imagination. When I first saw pictures of it from the 1950's with spectators looking out through holes in the roof, I figured that the building was long gone, but it isn't (just remodeled almost beyond recognition). I wonder how old it is and if the people that own it appreciate it's iconic history?
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Another addition 😁
E024A711-6FAB-4730-8D2B-7A496D8A906D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Looks very good!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

Fantastic, in fact!

Jager

Post by Jager »

Nice work Blue Steel.

I'm still waiting on my Ligier transporter to arrive. Here's a poor picture of it at Le Mans which might give you a few more ideas for your diorama.

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Excellent photo , the support truck is a Berliet K seriess K560-K770 range . I’ve seen someone scratch build one and the photos of it with the Saviem transporter which is a coach conversion of the S53 .. all good.. but wouldn’t dream of cutting rear door on model though unlike the kits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bluesteel66 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Great transformation of 1/43 to race support truck

Jager

Post by Jager »

Wonder if I can convince Spark to produce this Liebherr crane used in 1970 in 1:43?

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Great photo , they just didn’t care ,using a construction site heavy lift grab Designed for aggregate gravel and waste on a sports racing car unbelievable ..an Alfa Romeo 33/3 sacrilege of the highest order !!🤣 can’t see any proper lifting ropes or straps . Yes it would be an ideal candidate for a model since most construction toys models are 1/50 or 1/32 scale that I’ve seen

Jager

Post by Jager »

Likewise, I'd like to see Spark or someone else produce the modern day equivalent of the Liebehrr, the Manitou, in 1:43. These things have been a fixture at Le Mans for most of the past 20 years and the 1:43 diorama possibilities are endless.

Tom

Post by Tom »

UH does a 1:32 and Siku a 1:50. The latter should work, the difference is not that great.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Another interesting idea for a LM diorama....a transporter with a collection of Venturi's from 1993:

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

I bought this a few years ago a die-cast OM forklift the scale is between 1/43- 1/40 makes an excellent accessory for diorama.Im not sure who made it but it’s Italian in origin .

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Another side view

Jager

Post by Jager »

Old Cars from Italy did a 1:43 Fiat forklift. This looks like it could be the same as yours, other than the 'Fiat' instead of the 'OM' decals.

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

an Old Cars 1/43 ... yes indeed it is the same model ,with different decals OM or Fiat , thanks again

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

1969 diorama using my Old Cars-Fiat OM team transporter I bought 20 years ago from a fantastic model shop in Florence Italy, slightly modified, this now being released by Brumm .
Best Ferrari 312P coupes,lancia Jolly , Fiat 125 , Alfa Romeo GTV and a Renault 4TL with the Old cars OM Fiat forklift ! 😁 all a bit of fun.