OIR 2021 Dioramas

oldirish33

Re: OIR 2021 Dioramas

Post by oldirish33 »

Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:27 am
Love those, great idea and wonderful execution!
Thank Tom! This has been fun and I still have some works on the drawing board. Here is one I just finished with AJ Foyt as the subject.

I was surprised how fast the plate was returned by AJ. I thought it might take months to get his signature. :D

This is one I am putting together to feature Fangio's Championship winning cars. I am waiting for a different W196 for 1954, but this is the general idea.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Both are great but the Brickyard is special. Superb.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

The Fangio set is superb :shock:
Martin

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Anything Indy floats my boat!

Jager

Post by Jager »

While F1 is more my thing than Indy, your AJ Foyt diorama really appeals. Love the addition of the 'bricks'.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

If I had to name a driver above any other that I followed it would be AJ. Very nice work.
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Some more completed projects:

Tom

Post by Tom »

Superb. Love the idea and the execution.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Tom wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:30 am
Superb. Love the idea and the execution.
Thanks so much Tom! The completed ones of what I am calling the Signature Project are on my website here: https://www.oldirish.com/collection/diorama.html I have more in the works and they will be posted there going forward.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

Wow! You have been a busy boy! Great website. I've only checked out Jag road cars and concepts plus dioramas so far but will visit again soon. Excellent.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

GBOAC002 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:46 pm
Wow! You have been a busy boy! Great website. I've only checked out Jag road cars and concepts plus dioramas so far but will visit again soon. Excellent.
Thanks! Glad you like the website. I started it to keep track of models in my collection to not buy duplicates and its kind of grown from there. Visit often! :D

Seven Time Champion - Growing up my son was both a Ferrari F1 and Michael Schumacher fan. While we tended to like different drivers and teams, it did make watching F1 telecasts together more fun. I promised him some time ago a Michael Schumacher diorama and am now delivering on that promise. I have to say, constructing this brought back many great memories of his time growing up and time shared over the last thirty years that help create the special bond between fathers and sons. I am hoping that when he looks at this, it brings back some of those memories for him too.

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks amazing!

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

That is just magic Jerry.

Like your son, this was a period of F1 that I will long remember, being a Ferrari and Schumacher fan.
Martin

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Alfaholic wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:01 pm
That is just magic Jerry.

Like your son, this was a period of F1 that I will long remember, being a Ferrari and Schumacher fan.
Tom wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:24 pm
That looks amazing!
Thanks guys! My son is quite happy with it. :D

Press on Regardless: My latest project revolves around my Signature Project. Paul (reeft1) has a connection with Doug Woods who co-drove the winning Toyota Corolla on the 1973 Press on Regardless Rally, which gave Toyota its first WRC rally win. Doug graciously agreed to sign a plate to go on a display base and also offered to have the driver, Walter Boyce sign one as well. The plates are in Doug's hands, buy Covid restrictions prevent him at the moment from driving the 30 miles to Walter's home since its across provincial lines. In the interim, I decided to start of the base for the model I will use. I am still waiting for the model (Trofeau) as well. :)

Using bits of foam packing material, I glued them to the base I cut from some scrap shelving material, to create some low terrain. I covered the foam with drywall joint compound slightly with water to allow sculpting of the terrain. The road section in covered with yellow tape in the center and the yellow covered portion in the foreground is where the signature plates will go.

Next step once the joint compound had dried, was to spray it with primer to seal the joint compound and prevent any cracking. This also gave me an opportunity to see contrast in the terrain and fix any part of it I didn't like. For me, this is always kind of a hit and miss process, never knowing quite what I will end up with.

Next came one of my favorite steps, starting to put paint on the thing. I used a light colored textured paint base, followed with earth toned paint I mixed to suit the effect I was trying to go for. The Press on Regardless is held in November and covers that back roads of Northern Michigan. Surfaces on the rally vary from tarmac to gravel to dirt. Doug told me that they encountered just about every type of weather on the rally. I want to represent the Michigan land scape in late fall the best I could, using photos, and You Tube video as a guide.

This is the terrain with the fall ground foliage and leaf matter on the wooded forest track. The road surface is complete at this time and after painting the surface with textured paint, I used crushed soil from our garden to make the road surface. I sprayed the dirt with matte clear spray paint to keep the bits that weren't glued down in place.

I added some model railroad trees found on eBay and gave them some fall color. The next step will be installing the signed plates once I have them and the model when it arrives. It is going to need some "weathering" as well. This is what the car looked like on the rally:

I have a special affinity to this car. In 1974, I bought my first new car, a Toyota Corolla SR5 (Levin J depending on where you are in the world), which I briefly used as a race and TSD rally car. Unfortunately, even in showroom stock racing the cost to go faster (i.e. better tires) outstripped my meager wages at the time and rallys began to interfere with work due to the distances involved. So the car became my faithful daily driver for many years and is and will always be one of my favorites. So, thanks to Paul, I will showcase my inner racer with this diorama. :D

Tom

Post by Tom »

Absolutely love the diorama! The car needs a load of weathering, I'd say...

SpeedCat71

Post by SpeedCat71 »

Just brilliant work. On some of my dioramas I have used real soil mixed with PVA glue. It goes off and works really well. Food for thought maybe one day for the type of scenarios like this rally one........

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

SpeedCat71 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:36 pm
Just brilliant work. On some of my dioramas I have used real soil mixed with PVA glue. It goes off and works really well. Food for thought maybe one day for the type of scenarios like this rally one........
Thanks and thanks for the suggestion! I did use glue for the base layer, but wanted to create a small crown on the road surface and ruts where wheels had run. I thought about using glue, but the only way I figured I could get a realistic look, was running a car on the surface and didn't want glue and dirt on the wheels and tires of the model I used. I thought about using hairspray but didn't want a sticky residue. Flat clear spray paint seems to have done a good job of "sealing" the surface and holding the dirt in place. I did a few light coats.
Tom wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:58 pm
Thanks Tom! Yes, it will be a fun project to weather the Toyota! :D

SpeedCat71

Post by SpeedCat71 »

I have no hair so don’t need hairspray :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by SpeedCat71 on Fri May 07, 2021 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpeedCat71

Post by SpeedCat71 »

oldirish33 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm
SpeedCat71 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:36 pm
Thanks and thanks for the suggestion! I did use glue for the base layer, but wanted to create a small crown on the road surface and ruts where wheels had run. I thought about using glue, but the only way I figured I could get a realistic look, was running a car on the surface and didn't want glue and dirt on the wheels and tires of the model I used. I thought about using hairspray but didn't want a sticky residue. Flat clear spray paint seems to have done a good job of "sealing" the surface and holding the dirt in place. I did a few light coats.
Tom wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:58 pm
Thanks Tom! Yes, it will be a fun project to weather the Toyota! :D
I’ve always used an old no longer wanted model of approx the same wheelbase dimensions to drag across base materials to create tyre marks or ruts.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Great stuff!