OIR 2021 Dioramas

scalainj
Site Admin

Re: OIR 2021 Dioramas

Post by scalainj »

Very impressive indeed Jerry. One day
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.
Road investment is so poor around here that instead of driving on the left, we get to drive on what's left

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

I don't think there is a person on this planet that could get any closer than that.
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

JSB33 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:13 am
I don't think there is a person on this planet that could get any closer than that.
Thanks Jeff! I'm not sure that someone else couldn't do it more justice as I see some pretty amazing stuff by others with talents I can only aspire to, but appreciate the vote of confidence. :D
scalainj wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:47 am
Very impressive indeed Jerry. One day
You just need to leap in Andy, I'm sure you could turn out some remarkable pieces!
Jager wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:54 pm
Fabulous Jerry. You must have the largest caravan collection on S-143 :D .

Unfortunately there's no Le Mans this month. It's currently been pushed back to 21–22 August 2021 due to Covid, but I guess even that could change depending on the situation in France.
Thanks Ian! My bad, I had forgotten, too used to the traditional dates. A dubious distinction about having the most, but I had assembled them over time for this shot. The caravans will be going back into the diorama spares box, doubt I will need them again. If anyone needs one or all, PM me.
Alfaholic wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 pm
Another wonderful piece of work Jerry - looking forward to when the full 1:43 replica of Le Mans is finished :D
Thanks Martin, it was fun to put together. A nice diversion. It may be a long time, if ever before the full Le Mans replica happens. ;) I am moving in some different directions and as much as I love Le Mans, its become a bit stale for me. Currently, I am trying to model water. I want to model the Monaco harbor in a F1 scene. Wow!, what a steep learning curve and still a long ways from prime time. :D
Tom wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:59 pm
That is impressive! I love recreations of old paddock scenes, always so much to see...
Thanks Tom! I enjoy trying to replicate photos and this was one definitely on my short list. I try to replicate as many elements as possible and some in this scene I made are not really visible, such as the tire changing machines. When I was pulling pieces together for this shot, I came across this VW camper I forgot I had. The backend plays a bit part in the scene. It immediately reminded me of my old friend Tom. :D

Two new diorama projects on the bench. The Bluebird LSR car and Land Rover support vehicle at Bonneville and the Mille Miglia start ramp circa 1955. Stay tuned!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing Collection
https://www.oldirish.com/collection/models2.html

Tom

Post by Tom »

That camper is perfect for the paddock scene- relatively unadorned, not too fancy. Nice model!

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Mille Miglia 1955
Since the Covid pandemic hit, I have spent much more time reading and I have taken a much keener interest in both the Mille Miglia and the Targa Florio over the past fifteen months. My latest new diorama project is the starting ramp on the Mille Miglia in 1955. I meant to take some in progress photos but forgot. I thought I would post a couple images of what I have so far. The base and part of the ramp are done. Tomorrow I am going to go look for some small quarter round trim to do the ramp railings. Making those will be my weekend project.

I am still working out in my mind what I want to do for a backdrop. I haven't decided if I want to make a facade of the buildings and stands behind the ramp, or use a period B&W image of the crowd, etc. as a backdrop. Finding one large enough is the trick. The base is 21" (53.3 cm) long. My plan when done, is to display my MM cars on the base.
Jerry

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Nice router table.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Looking great already!

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

I'm definitely going to enjoy this one ;)
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager »

This should be a popular subject Jerry. As you say, it might be too large to replicate the crowd, but I'm sure it will look great with the buildings.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Jager wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:14 pm
This should be a popular subject Jerry. As you say, it might be too large to replicate the crowd, but I'm sure it will look great with the buildings.
Alfaholic wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:00 am
I'm definitely going to enjoy this one ;)
Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:06 pm
Looking great already!
Thanks! The wheels of progress grind on slowly. Our section of the country has been hit with a massive heat wave which has set all-time high temps (115F - 46C, our normal is 76F - 24C this time of year) has meant that working in the shop without air-conditioning is limited to very early morning hours. Therefore, I have finished the base (mostly), but little else.

Working from several photos, I am going to try and replicate background buildings using a facade behind the platform and starting stand. Early planning phase yet, but that is the idea. I will update as more progress is made.

Alex_W wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:02 pm
Nice router table.
Father's Day gift. It gave me the excuse to buy a new router. :D
Jerry

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

My wife accuses me of taking on any project that requires the purchase of a new power tool. I'm a big fan of Milwaukee tools. I still have some from my days in the field. I've drop my old 14.4 volt NiCad hammer drill from thirty feet and it still works like new. Milwaukee even replaced both batteries at no charge (after decades) when one of them expanded and cracked. You can't beat that for customer service.

Tom

Post by Tom »

At least the glue and paint will dry quickly. 46°C, wow.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

The wheels of progress grind slowly. I've been spending most of my time lately repairing and replacing fence after a mamma bear and cub took up residence in our woods. They took a liking to the berries in our garden and were not courteous enough to use the gates. :D Anyway, I have made some progress on the Mille Miglia base and hope to spend more time on it in the coming days.

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:34 pm
At least the glue and paint will dry quickly. 46°C, wow.
While temps are still slightly above normal, we are now in the high 80's (31-32C) and its not too bad if you get your outside work done by mid-day. We have the largest wildfire in the country (bigger than Los Angeles) is burning about 125 mi. to the SE of us and so far, winds have been caring smoke away from us, which also helps being outside. The record high temps, drought conditions and early veracious fires will open more unseeing eyes to global warming. :cry:
Alex_W wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:27 pm
My wife accuses me of taking on any project that requires the purchase of a new power tool. I'm a big fan of Milwaukee tools. I still have some from my days in the field. I've drop my old 14.4 volt NiCad hammer drill from thirty feet and it still works like new. Milwaukee even replaced both batteries at no charge (after decades) when one of them expanded and cracked. You can't beat that for customer service.
My wife is a tool junkie too, so buying a new tool is never a problem. :D Milwaukie makes great stuff and seems to be the choice of professionals. I would have gone that route if I wasn't already so committed to Ryobi cordless tools, which are pretty good for the DYI'er. They suck you in with continuous great deals at Home Depot. ;)
Jerry

SpeedCat71

Post by SpeedCat71 »

Looking awesome as always. Another fantastic diorama with a famous historical theme. Loving your work especially the paving surface.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

Full marks for persistence and withstanding the astronomically hot weather conditions where you are. If we get 30+ degrees in UK it makes headlines.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

oldirish33 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:56 pm
While temps are still slightly above normal, we are now in the high 80's (31-32C) and its not too bad if you get your outside work done by mid-day. We have the largest wildfire in the country (bigger than Los Angeles) is burning about 125 mi. to the SE of us and so far, winds have been caring smoke away from us, which also helps being outside. The record high temps, drought conditions and early veracious fires will open more unseeing eyes to global warming. :cry:
That brings back some terrible memories - stay safe Jerry (and also from the bears :shock: )

The diorama looks pretty fantastic from here - I will have to "ramp" up the lobbying to have a production run done for Forum members. :D
Martin