Well that was terrifying !

Galaxy Gaz

Well that was terrifying !

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 pm

I decided after unboxing my MC Porsche 956 1-2-3 set to put in their new display cabinet , that the crappy "Racing" livery had to go. I couldnt put these with my Rothmans Mercedes Transporter unless they were in correct warpaint , so tonight they got the sellotape treatment.
I started with the rear spoiler and after a couple of attempts to remove the decal , the first car was starting to look much better .

The "racing " decals are covering the Rothmans decals underneath , so by placing a piece of sellotape on the decal and rubbing over it to ensure good adhesion, its just a simple case of peeling it off slowly to reveal the correct livery. It took a couple of pieces of tape on each decal as it was coming off in pieces , but after some very nervous applications, I ended up with this

It all went pretty easily and with no problems , until the penultimate decal removal . Whilst trying to remove the front Racing decal and crest on the nose of the #1 car , theRothmans decals came off still attached to the Racing one , so unfortunately I ended up with one part missing decal .
Looks like I will have to get a decal set in order to replace the damaged one , but thats not really a big deal as theyre readily available . I guess theres always one isnt there :(

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Jager

Re: Well that was terrifying !

Post by Jager » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:36 am

I guess with these being~10 years old the decals have bonded together,so you did well to only damage one Rothmans decal. I'd say job well done.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:00 am

Still can't believe how the Rothmans decals stayed in place. Specially if the Racing ones didn't come off in one piece and you had to use the tape over areas of the Rothmans underneath. I say you were VERY lucky with only one damaged decal - and one of the easiest to find!
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage Image

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:17 am

That's the issue when waiting for too long. Good job!

And you should find a new set easily, even the HPI's.

When I try to decal old Spark's is also a scarry task.

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:04 am

So did you know the Rothmans decals were underneath? Why would they put the Racing decals over the Rothmans decals?

No matter, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:49 am

So that they wouldn't break the 'no tobacco' rules but still appeal to collectors 'in the know'?

Nice job Gaz, I guess I wouldn't even attempt it myself.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:47 am

Tom wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:49 am
So that they wouldn't break the 'no tobacco' rules but still appeal to collectors 'in the know'?
That's the only reasonable explanation. Though the Spark solution is both cheaper and less complicated.
Image The Garage Image

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:55 am

I agree but I bet these were easier to remove when new, and they were at least in the correct place.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:07 am

Oh yes, I guess it was something to be done right away, but some collectors want their models "pristine" (what I call the HW Syndrome) and probably left them as is when bought new :roll:
Image The Garage Image

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:28 pm

Jager wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:36 am
I guess with these being~10 years old the decals have bonded together,so you did well to only damage one Rothmans decal. I'd say job well done.
Thanks Ian ,youre probably right about their age , which wouldnt have helped in their removal .
LUW wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:00 am
Still can't believe how the Rothmans decals stayed in place. Specially if the Racing ones didn't come off in one piece and you had to use the tape over areas of the Rothmans underneath. I say you were VERY lucky with only one damaged decal - and one of the easiest to find!
There was no lifting on any of the other decals . As soon as I tried to pull the sellotape off the nose decal , part of the Rothmans text and a chunk of the crest came off with it . I removed the rest of the text with my fingernail but left the crest as is until I get soe new ones ordered.
Serafa wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:17 am
That's the issue when waiting for too long. Good job!

And you should find a new set easily, even the HPI's.

When I try to decal old Spark's is also a scarry task.

Thanks Bruno , Ive located a couple of possible sets on ebay , so it should be fixed soon.
dbonser wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:04 am
So did you know the Rothmans decals were underneath? Why would they put the Racing decals over the Rothmans decals?

No matter, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

I did Douglas , and as already said, the Racing decals were placed over the Rothmans decals because of the cigarette advertising laws .
Tom wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:49 am

Nice job Gaz, I guess I wouldn't even attempt it myself.
Cheers Tom , the result was worth it as they look so much better with full livery , but its not a job id like to do again .
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Very impressed Gaz. You are more brave than me, mind you I didn't realize the correct war decal was under the racing one!. They now look so much better well worth the effort. :D
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

jna

Post by jna » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:17 am

I can't recall exactly the sequence of events, but I think the 'Racing' decals came about after the models had been manufactured en bloc and were set for release to coincide with the Le Mans 24 Hours race that year. The owner of the brand name then became involved and the stock was not released for sale except, I gather, in Japan where they had already been made available.

I'm willing to be corrected about the above, but in the fallout from this myself and a fellow collector managed, with the help of an AutoBarn Model Forum member from Japan, to obtain the three-car set in the full Rothmans livery. I was so pleased not to have to attempt to remove the 'Racing' decals, and think you've done an excellent job.