What to do with models that don't fit a theme

Featherless_Biped

What to do with models that don't fit a theme

Post by Featherless_Biped » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:20 pm

I had some models that didn't seem to fit my major themes. I didn't want to display them in a group to which they didn't belong. What to do? Why, build a diorama using those misfits. :idea:

I built this dio some time ago, long before I saw some of the excellent work done by others on the Forum. I hesitated to show it. :| My style is somewhat different because I try to include a little humor. (Note the use of the cartoony figurines.) The diorama fits on a narrow shelf. Not much room, but I included several scenes under the theme "Road Trips."

The whole shelf/diorama. The background is a road map with visa stamps on the sides. Normally, all the cars have my standard label (make, model, year, country, logo), but I've removed them for these photos.

I had a couple of La Route Bleue dios that were too big for my limited shelf space. I incorporated them into my diorama without altering them except to add grass, gravel and shrubs.

The original.

Now these folks are part of a larger scene in which they are holding up traffic in this no passing zone.
(Some of those aforementioned labels did not get removed for this pic.)

This is another La Route Bleue dio. I've added new ground cover. You can see the original "grass" under the Renault. A hedge hides the edge of the dio base.

These gents have pulled off the highway to visit this roadside memorial (which, as you can see, birds have visited also).

On the right side, some fellows (and an elephant which my SO placed, trying to be funny :roll: ) wait to board a bus. Also, a state trooper has a discussion with a couple in their BMW. The post card on the side has a caption that says "Traveling on Beautiful Interstate 35." Yes, that's what I-35 looks like, and no, they weren't trying to be funny. :roll:

Perhaps the naked baby in the back seat has influenced the cop's opinion of these scofflaws. :shock:

Models in this diorama:
Renault Dauphine Ondine
Peugeot 203
Rambler Cross Country
Volkswagen T1 Samba Bus
BMW Mini Cooper
Maserati A6G 2000 Spyder
Ford Mustang
Ford Custom
Ford Deluxe
BMW 503
Porsche 356B Cabriolet and trailer
Leyland Tiger PS/Maypole
Ford Crown Victoria/Minnesota State Patrol
Motorcycle

EDIT: This dio has been modified somewhat since I took these pictures. The Leyland bus is gone (not 1:43 anyway), replaced by a stalled 1953 Buick, hood up, with a couple arguing. Cars have been changed (upgraded :D ); a motorcycle added. And there are a few more animals (a orangutan has joined the picnickers). :roll: This is a shelf in my IKEA bookshelves with IKEA LED lighting and glass doors.

RT
Last edited by Featherless_Biped on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David MG

Re: What to do with models that don't fit a theme

Post by David MG » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:55 am

Very imaginative and yes humourous :lol: 8-)
Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:09 am

Love your work, RT. My mind inclines towards humour in dios, I just think it adds to their innocent charm.

(Although when I told my lady about the WW2 Hospital Ship I am building, and my diorama plan to have a submarine periscope poking out of the water in the distance, she thought that was in very poor taste indeed, so this humour caper is always a risky business to embark upon…)

PS: like all the cars, especially the Porsche with the trailer.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:51 am

Very funny and appealing. I like it a lot.

grinbergs

Post by grinbergs » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:33 am

I love it. Great dioramas always have little stories to tell, and the humour touches on this one is great. :D

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:12 am

As is everyday life, things less than perfect are the most interesting. Your story telling trough the objects and placement make it even better.
Jeff
ImageImage

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks to David, Jamie, Tom, Johan, and Jeff. I'm glad you guys liked it. :D

Here are more misfit models for which I had no themes. This is another diorama on a shelf which might be called a “dio duo.” I say duo because there are really two dioramas here separated by topography and a chain link fence.

This is a photo of the whole shelf where you can see a section on the left with a theme of “bad behavior.” On the right the theme could be “life at the truck stop.” I’ve mounted a few vintage ads for model cars on the back wall of the shelf. Labels identifying the models are arranged along the front of the shelf. Again, don’t take these too seriously. :lol:

Life at the Truck Stop.

I’ve integrated a ready-made Schuco diorama of a gas station. That diorama is on a plastic base which is over 1/2 inch thick. The base is still intact, and that accounts for the higher elevation of the right side of the dio. I’ve added a couple of vintage soda machines on the left.

A couple of guys evaluating the problems of this old Ford.

Advice to the guy with the high water pants – keep your hands off the Jeep or you will answer to Sarge and his dog.

Taking a lunch break on the International KB-12.

The wrecker driver is a big guy, but the boss has brought his men to talk about how his Lambo was dropped.

Bad Behavior. The local police have arrived, responding to a report that the Amazon Gang was gathering here.

Confrontation. It’s a version of good cop/bad cop. One has a night stick, the other has a box of doughnuts. What’s it gonna be, fella?

Unknown to the cops, there’s a craps game going on. (Yeah, I know – there's no cars here. But there is a pile of car tires. :roll: )

Models in the dio:
Ford Crown Victoria
Mercury Eight Coupe
BMW R25/3
Zündapp KS 750
Chevrolet 3100
International KB-12
Ford "Jailbar" 1/2-ton pickup
Ford F-100
Volkswagen T1 Van
Willys Jeep
MGB MkII
Volkswagen T1 Van

Since I made these dioramas, I’ve acquired more misfit models, but I’ll not be making more dioramas for them. Too much time and space are required. :(

EDIT: I have made some changes since I took these photos years ago. I've added some dogs, a car jack, junk barrels and crates, a Harley motorcycle, and a fire hydrant. (Oh yeah, I've had some fun with this. :) ) But the biggest change was the addition of vintage models to the rear wall of the shelf. I mounted the old Dinky, Matchbox and Corgi models that are advertised.

RT
Last edited by Featherless_Biped on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David MG

Post by David MG » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:28 am

More humourous masterpieces.
Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:06 am

That looks like a nice BMW sidecar outfit that the Amazons have there (and nice work on the new diorama, RT)

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:33 am

Love your new dio, great to make your models tell a story. Now I want to make one too...

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:24 am

Tom wrote:Love your new dio, great to make your models tell a story. Now I want to make one too...
I always want to end up nicking RT's ideas. he has lot of fun with his collection.
Jeff
ImageImage

Basse

Post by Basse » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:47 am

Great dio, almost like a cartoon! :)

IFHP

Post by IFHP » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:05 am

Nice work. Enjoyed it
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:17 am

RT, you've really brought a smile to face with these dioramas!

The only 'pre-made' that I was aware were the La Route Bleu, but even those have taken on a new life with your creativity and humour! Who though such a story could be told this way. And yes, some are very cartoonish, particularly the 'gang' around the tire mound. That seen keeps sparking in my mind the opening sequence of the old 'Fat Albert' cartoon, but maybe that's just me?

You really have a flair for this, fantastic work 8-)

BB
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:10 pm

I hope that you will take the time to resurrect this thread with new pictures, RT! I was really disappointed when U revisited it and found those PB placeholders...

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:03 pm

I'll see what I can do, Tom. There may be some newer members that haven't seen these diorama postings.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Or, like me, older members like to review these threads from time to time.

Your work is much appreciated.

stewil

Post by stewil » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:13 am

Hi RT,
Love the Leyland bus with the little person staring inside it. All of your dioramas are "fun" to see.
Well done.
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve