Early Porsche 356

Tom

Early Porsche 356

Post by Tom » Fri May 03, 2019 12:08 pm

My favourite 356 by a considerable margin is the A or pre-A. I love the clean jelly-mould shape, no unnecessary lines or adornment. Made to be functional, a proper sports car. The Speedster looks great but I'm a coupé man at heart, and it just looks right as a closed car.

My models are all silver. A bit of a coincidence, but it just looks great in that colour IMO. And yes, the leather on my couch armrest needs some hide food.

In 1989, the Matchbox-led revival of Dinky released their rendition of the A. Like all Dinky Collection models it was quite simple because even then, clear headlights were common. Simple was the style of all Dinky Collection models, but luckily it suits the 356. The shape is well captured and it filled a spot in my collection for years. The mould marks were a bit noticeable and take away from the model but these were cheap.

In '89 this was the only non-toy 1:43 356A apart from a couple of handbuilts that generally didn't look like a 356. Rear lights were moulded in with dabs of red paint, the engine cover grill was part of the casting, wipers were part of the windscreen and not even picked out with paint. The only standout detail on this model is the Stuttgart registration decalled on. The wheels are nice and badging was represented by decals. Dated and light on detail this model may be, but it has a certain charm and thus far it's managed to avoid all purges of my collection.

In the 1990s there was DetailCars. They were a mixed bag, with some models that hold their own even now and a couple of real misses. Their 356A however is one of the better products. Though they chose to fit it with opening doors the casting was nice enough to have impressively clean and tight shutlines (not as bad IRL as the close up pics might suggest). It has a separate wing mirror, separate door handles, engine cover grill and nice windscreen wipers. Remember, this is about 25 years old and DetailCars was not a high-end maker. The bootlid cover handle is a separate part, the wheels are great with the correct chrome trims separate from the wheels. They are the perforated steel wheels, and I prefer the earlier closed wheels. The headlights do not have fixing stubs, nice touch DC! The rear lights and front indicators are separate parts picked out with paint and it looks really good. There's even a tiny body builder's badge on the righthand front wing as per the original and the chassis and interior have a decent amount of detail.

The third was a more recent addition, I'd say from the last three or four years. It's a Lucky Diecast, from their Signature Series. I don't know what that stands for but it was extremely cheap, as in sub-EUR 10. It's a very early A or even a pre-A with the split windscreen. It's also a little darker in colour than the other two. Separate chromed bootlid handle, wipers, door handles, wipers, engine cover grill, and the front indicators are even clear parts. That is impressive for the price, as are the bumpers and wheels partially painted in body colour. Rear lights are painted chrome parts, the headlights have small fixing stubs and none of the depth like those on the DetailCars. The rear window trim looks much better IRL than in the pictures. The shape of this one looks somehow a little off, perhaps the bumpers are positioned a little too low?

For now the DetailCars is my favourite of the three.
I know Spark and MC have done this car, perhaps someone who owns either of these would care to do a review?

LUW

Re: Early Porsche 356

Post by LUW » Fri May 03, 2019 12:15 pm

That HW ain't bad for a 30yo model - I say it's a keeper just because of it's age.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Fri May 03, 2019 11:54 pm

Interesting for me is that while the 356 is far from my favourite Porsche, of the 11 Porsche cars in my collection two are 356s. Both are from the very early days of 1:43 for me.

I too have one of the Dinky/Matchbox 356A's from a triple pack that also has a Dino 246 and a 300 SL Gullwing. Mine is in red.

The other 356 in my collection is a very special one for sentimental reasons. It was the very first proper 1:43 model that I ever had, and was a gift from my sister when I was in my very early 20s, so I've had it for well over 30 years. A reasonable Brumm. considering its age.

Martin

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat May 04, 2019 1:08 am

Interesting to see that yours are both red. They might be German, but they look a little Italian. :D The colour changes the car for me, and while I generally like red cars I do not favour bright red for the 356. It does look OK in maroon, strangely.

My collection restarted with a Brumm 356 too but it was a Speedster. Those models are now over 40 years old, and still look quite good.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri May 10, 2019 9:54 am

I forgot all about the final cheapie in my collection, this HighSpeed 356A. It shows that I need to dust more frequently, and why cheapo 356es look better in silver- it hides the tops of the bumpers that should be body colour, which is too much work for most makers. The HS is light on detail which is even more obvious in close-up pictures