Aston Martin DB7 - AutoArt vs Vitesse vs HighSpeed

Tom

Aston Martin DB7 - AutoArt vs Vitesse vs HighSpeed

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:10 am

I was looking at my display cases and realised that I now have three different 1:43 DB7s. Not my intention but that's how it goes sometimes... Here are pictures of all three for you to compare and decide for yourself which is the winner. The AA is the only one with working steering

AutoArt
Image_MG_7937b by Tom Sfotoos, on Flickr
Image_MG_7938b by Tom Sfotoos, on Flickr

Vitesse
ImageIMG_0343b by Tom Sfotoos, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0344b by Tom Sfotoos, on Flickr

HighSpeed
Image_MG_6376b by Tom Sfotoos, on Flickr
Image_MG_6378b by Tom Sfotoos, on Flickr

The HighSpeed cost about EUR 2, so it's logical that it's less detailed than the other two. It came in a plastic bubble and not on a plinth. Though it's clearly the least of the three, it looks fine in a display but it could do with some lowering of the suspension.
If you have any other versions to add, please post them here.

Featherless_Biped

Re: Aston Martin DB7 - AutoArt vs Vitesse vs HighSpeed

Post by Featherless_Biped » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:04 am

No surprises there, Tom. The AA beats the Vitesse which beats the High Speed.
This Whitebox falls somewhere between. Maybe not a fair comparison since it's the Zagato version and has some differences. It's in need of some blackwash on the grille. Wipers?

RT

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:13 am

While the Highspeed may be cheap at €2, I think the real bargain is the Autoart which can be bought as cheaply as €15.

Just out of curiosity, why did Autoart and Vitesse both model the car with the windows down ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:16 am

That would be my ranking too RT, in fact it's the reverse of the order in which I bought them so it's an upgrade process.

WRT the Zagato, I've been umming and aahing over that for a long time. On one hand I really like the blue on the Whitebox, on the other hand I preferred a more traditional green. The grill was my other concern, it lacks any depth and I'm not sure if my attempt at blackwashing would improve it any. Luckily I found a great deal on the full Ixo version which addressed both issues to my satisfaction. I still like the blue though.

Image_MG_8016b by Tom Sfotoos, on Flickr
Image_MG_8017b by Tom Sfotoos, on Flickr

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Jager wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:13 am
While the Highspeed may be cheap at €2, I think the real bargain is the Autoart which can be bought as cheaply as €15.

Just out of curiosity, why did Autoart and Vitesse both model the car with the windows down ?
Might've been that many collectors had the Vitesse already when AA released theirs, seems to be a common AA malady.
Perhaps appreciation for AA's quality in this scale is only now setting in, overshadowed by their 1:18s.

As for the windows- I have no idea whatsoever.

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Spark DB7 Zagato

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:52 pm

I personally dont rate the Autoart DB7 if im honest. Ive had it in 2 colours and sold it on both times because it just doesnt look right to my eyes .
I have kept the Vitesse Vantage, Volante and GT versions as imo , they are better proportioned .

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Yes, that is better.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:28 am

This is one of those cars which model makers cannot seem to get right in 1:43. I'm with Gary in having my doubts about various tries at a wholly acceptable DB7 Coupe in 1:43.

Back in September 2001 Maisto did a 1:40(?) Coupe in purple. I bought one because 1. I liked the colour, 2. it was cheap and 3. because there was no 1:43 available.

Forward one year to Sept 2002 AA launch their DB7 Coupe in 1:43 diecast metal (Hooray!). I buy the mid green (popular and used by Aston in many publicity pics) seen in Tom's pic above, and the Dark Blue which hides the slightly off shape.

I called it quits right there. I have ignored the IXO standard Coupe versions but do have a silver IXO DB7 Zagato Coupe which imo IXO got right.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:35 pm

I have both the AutoArt and precisely that Vitesse, and I have to admit that I love the stance of Vitesse´s DB7 GT! Although, the dark red colour of my AutoArt DB7 is extremely attractive! ;)
-Julio-