Shops in Vancouver

Listing of Retailer sites and sales
Serafa

Shops in Vancouver

Post by Serafa » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:42 pm

I'll be travelling to Vancouver next week and I am planning for a full day dedicated to visit all the main local hobby and model shops.

These are the shops I initially intend to visit, although any suggestions are welcome:

- Magic Box Hobbies
- Burnaby Hobbies
- Wilkinson's Automobilia
- Yoma Hobby & Die-cast Model

Pictures are yet to be posted in this thread. ;)
Follow me on Instagram @brimportcollection

oldirish33

Re: Shops in Vancouver

Post by oldirish33 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:17 am

Sorry, just saw this Wilkinson's is the only one I'm familiar with. I will be up there next month. Will be interested if you find any other good shops.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:06 am

I'm still here in Vancouver as I write this review, but the visits to the hobby shops ocurred on Thursday. It has a lot of pictures, so if that is a problem for you, you can call the police. :mrgreen:

Yoma Hobby

Yoma is the name of a very sympathetic Chinese girl who owns the shop and also operates it. It isn't located in Vancouver exactly, it's aprox. a 45 min drive from downtown to Surrey where the shop is. It is mainly dedicated to high-end and mid-end 1/18 scale models, but she also has a handful of 1/43 models available, as you can tell by the pictures. She has contacts with all the main Chinese producers and the price is exceptionally good on the high-end 1/18 scale models, such as Exoto and CMC.

Front and inside

CMC+Exoto

Other 1/18 brands are strongly represented, like Otto, GT Spirit, and Spark

1/43 new arrivals

She also has 1/12 models!

Burnaby Hobbies

Also located outside Vancouver city, but closer (about 30 min driving from Vancouver to Burnaby city), there is this small hobby shop mainly dedicated to plastic kits and R/C vehicles. They also have some magazines/books/catalogues available, but everythng here is related to kit modelling, R/C, an some Scalextric cars as well. You won't find any finished model in this store.

Wilkinson's Automobilia

There has been a while since Wilkinson's Automobilia changed its model from a brick & mortar shop and went online. They moved to a different place, but they still have an improvised show room that shares the space with a chaotic stock of new and old models, books, vintage racing suits and etc. If you are looking for 1/43 scale models, this is the place to go in Vancouver, however, the price doesn't come cheap.

Magic Box Hobbies

Another hobby shop dedicated to kit building and R/C cars. The difference here is that the shop is located in Vancouver and it is much larger than the shop from Burnaby. It is ran by a very sympathetic Japanese couple and the guy knows a lot about the hobby, since he is an enthusiast. The shop has a huge stock of military kits (tanks, planes, ships, etc) and a small section for cars. If you are into building kits and need supplies for it and/or you are looking for kits (especially military), this is the place to go.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 am

If we don't hear from you for a while Bruno, we will send out a search party in case you get "trapped" in these shops :lol:
Martin

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:19 am

Enough there to keep me occupied for at least a day.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:39 am

Good information Bruno, but what we really want to know is what did you buy :D .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:43 am

I so wish we had stores like that left here
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:57 am

I was in Vancouver with some time to kill about a year ago, all I did was eat and drink beer. I should have taken the same path as you. Great stuff!
Jeff
ImageImage

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:04 am

Wowzers! I could easily spend two or three dyas around inside those shops, drooling.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks for the info! We go up to Vancouver every May for a car show, will need to check some of these places out.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:12 am

Those shops are financially, very dangerous places to be :lol:

Saying that , it must be bliss looking around shops like that again . I used to enjoy a weekly visit to my local model shop but like many others, sadly , its now gone .
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche............For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:30 am

Alfaholic wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 am
If we don't hear from you for a while Bruno, we will send out a search party in case you get "trapped" in these shops :lol:
Martin, I survived! :lol: But I escaped with my wallet a little more empty though. :roll:
Tom wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:19 am
Enough there to keep me occupied for at least a day.
That's exactly the time I spent in those 4 stores - 1 full day.
Jager wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:39 am
Good information Bruno, but what we really want to know is what did you buy :D .
I bought 1x 1/18 scale Jaguar D-Type (Team Nationale Belge) by Exoto, 3x different kits and some accessories for when I start building the kits. Pictures to be added later in my collecting threads.
scalainj wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:43 am
I so wish we had stores like that left here
Those are getting super rare. I was surprised to have found so many in such a small town. Vancouver has less than a million citizens... São Paulo for instance has 12MM inhabitants and only 2 shops to buy this type of stuff.
JSB33 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:57 am
I was in Vancouver with some time to kill about a year ago, all I did was eat and drink beer. I should have taken the same path as you. Great stuff!
Hope you have the chance to check them out someday in the future.
LUW wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:04 am
Wowzers! I could easily spend two or three dyas around inside those shops, drooling.
I would too, Luc!
oldirish33 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:35 am
Thanks for the info! We go up to Vancouver every May for a car show, will need to check some of these places out.
Hope you guys have a great time there!
Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:12 am
Those shops are financially, very dangerous places to be :lol:

Saying that , it must be bliss looking around shops like that again . I used to enjoy a weekly visit to my local model shop but like many others, sadly , its now gone .
Don't even tell meabout it, Gary... I feel like I always have to drop some cash at stores like those just to avoid "missing the opportunity". :roll:

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:42 pm

I was in Vancouver this past weekend for a car show. Since it was a long holiday weekend in Canada, most shops were closed but Wilkinson's had a booth at the show we attended. I helped myself to a number of models & books I thought I couldn't live without and at the very favorable current exchange rate. I will be back again in July and August, so will give my wallet a chance to heal some and hit the other shops then. :)
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

IFHP

Post by IFHP » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:50 am

Wilkinson's Automobilia

There has been a while since Wilkinson's Automobilia changed its model from a brick & mortar shop and went online. They moved to a different place, but they still have an improvised show room that shares the space with a chaotic stock of new and old models, books, vintage racing suits and etc. If you are looking for 1/43 scale models, this is the place to go in Vancouver, however, the price doesn't come cheap.
I used to stop in to Wilkinson's nearly every visit to Vancouver and always enjoyed them. I knew they had closed their storefront a few years ago, but I wasn't aware of their physical showroom. The photos remind me a lot of their old place. Here is a photo that I took the last time that I was there.

ImageWilkonsons Automobilia, Vancouver, BC by Michael, on Flickr
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Nice picture, thanks for sharing!