Machine Learning

Listing of Retailer sites and sales
911RSR

Machine Learning

Post by 911RSR »

Hi everyone,

I think we all know that shop who bumps the price of the last model they have in stock. Well, I think it is a bit greedy so I try to stay away from them and buy elsewhere.

So yesterday I was shopping at a well known German store and as I was finalizing the paypal payment, the price went up and the paypal transaction was cancelled. So apparently they are treating model cars like plane tickets.

Of course there is free economy and everybody should be allowed to ask whatever they want for a blob of resin with some decals, but I still find it annoying. For me, this model car industry is for fan engagement and I try to buy the models which bring back memories from the actual event, but this seems all about the numbers and clawing as much money as possible.

So I was wondering, am I too sentimental and is this the day and age we live in, so I should get over it?

GBOAC002

Re: Machine Learning

Post by GBOAC002 »

Depends on how badly you want what's out there. In recent posts about chasing 'rare' Minichamps McLarens and BMWs - admittedly from private ebay sellers twenty years ago - I and others have learned to wait for items which will eventually pop up at sensible money.

I am noticing the massive hikes in prices of model cars on ebay now happening this year and I'm sure it's not just down to extra taxation. Am I wrong or just cynical? Commercial companies are struggling to survive so maybe there is some desperation out there.

Jager

Post by Jager »

To be fair, the companies charging exorbitant prices also offer plenty of opportunity to pre-order and in some cases lock in a good price well in advance of delivery. There is plenty of advance notices about new releases, so if you don't pre-order you can't complain about having to pay a premium ;) .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom »

I get extended discount offer mailings from every German retailer in the mail weekly. I guess they're not doing that well currently (and I understand that in the current situation people are hesitant to order).

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

Diecast Legends have just posted a piece about these hikes which the post-EU UK is now having to cope with the extra VAT being imposed on exports.

Worse still is if there is a problem and incorrect/defective items have to be returned there is more expense and loss to the buyer. Retailers shipping to overseas are getting items bounced back because Customs are querying paperwork codes and being overwhelmed with paperwork. In theory these are teething problems which will get resolved eventually but it doesn't bode well for us collectors in the short term.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

I ordered a model from a German seller at the end of October. It arrived this week after three months in transit. I knew it had been shipped promptly because I got the confirmation and tracking info right away. In other words, the dealer did his part. Checking the tracking info showed the package to be "In Transit" and located in the US (Chicago for a while, then New Jersey). Rather than complain to the dealer (who was as helpless as I was to do anything about the shipping delay) I just decided to wait it out.

When the package finally arrived I tried to leave positive feedback (it was an ebay purchase) but I couldn't because the tracking info indicated that the package had not been delivered. I contacted the dealer to let him know that it had arrived and he thanked me for my patience and indicated that he was no longer selling to US customers because he was getting so many complaints over shipping delays and issuing so many refunds that it was no longer a viable market.

In contrast, an item I had ordered from China arrived in less than a week.

My point is that the hit-or-miss reliability of shipping/product delivery is one of the factors that is negatively influencing supply and pricing.

Tom

Post by Tom »

China to Europe seems to be going incredibly quickly right now. I get my stuff within eight days which is utterly incredible.

Jager

Post by Jager »

As I understand it, with many countries closing their borders, there are a lot less international flights and therefore reduce airfreight capacity. I know in Australia our Post Office was sending parcels to Europe via seamail as there just wasn't any air space available. This is why with the tracking you see its customs cleared, and then nothing for 60 days - that's while its on the slow boat to wherever its going.

However, I this is an unrelated issue to retainers price gouging on their last model, which is completely up to the retailer's behaviour. I just don't understood who are these 'collectors' who pay these ridiculous prices?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

911RSR

Post by 911RSR »

Hi,

Sure, these were models I was sitting on the fence a little. miniauto.net typically is very well informed about the releases, so I know what to do if I really want it. This time I was like; let's see if it will be on sale for a decent price. Turns out, it was, so put in my shopping cart, went to checkout and then I got a Paypal error. So it must be some kind of active algorithm, because I checked later and the price went up twice more, until they eventually sold out.

The last bit is weird as well, since the actual model which took the biggest price hike is still available elsewhere for the normal price.

I think price hikes in general are normal. Apart from model cars, I tend to spend a lot money on overpriced tools and every calendar year the price goes up, whilst you still get the same tool. But you know when its happening. If paypal would not have given me a warning, I would have paid more for these models then when I put them in my shopping cart.

I think it is ridiculous for a store to be this active in controlling the price of a product. This specific vendor usually goes to a lot of events, which they cannot at this moment, so maybe they need to make up for some loss of income. But I personally don't like it this way, so I won't be buying from them.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

There are some sellers (one in particular in the UK) and lots in Japan who just seem to stick an extra zero on the end - I won't buy from them out of principle. Never seen a price go up mid transaction - i'd be surprised if thats because they are running low on stock and would have thought its more likely to be a tax issue, but hey, computers are clever beasties!

At the moment I am wrestling with the outcome of our inspired decision to bail out of europe - random post delays, random VAT charges - no idea what's going on but am sure it will settle down soon.......... :shock:

Tom

Post by Tom »

I really hope so.

911RSR

Post by 911RSR »

reeft1 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:55 am
i'd be surprised if thats because they are running low on stock and would have thought its more likely to be a tax issue, but hey, computers are clever beasties!
For sure no tax issue. I put two equally priced models in my cart and I saw the price go up twice afterwards.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Wow. Crooks

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Not that I am buying much these days (any sort of products) but I would never pay extra for something that I had already decided on. They are free to raise the price but I am free to walk away.
Jeff