Tamiya polishing medium

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
Jean B.

Tamiya polishing medium

Post by Jean B. » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:02 am

After having built some dozens of white-metals, I still look for the best way to paint & polish. I am quite sure that there is no "right way" to do that, but that every modeller prefers his own way. Nevertheless I try some new stuff from time to time, and this time I'd like to present my results with two polishing mediums offered by Tamiya. Tamiya material is quite expensive, and I wanted to know if the stuff meets my expectations, spending € 10 (!) for a tiny bottle of some unidentifiable liquid :roll: .

For testing I take an old diecast model, the Panhard Dynamic made by Eligor in the 1970s. This model shows the worst paint I've ever seen:

First the paint has to be honed, I prefer the flexible linen supplied by MicroMesh, starting with "1500":

Proceeding step by step up to "12000", the surface is even and shiny, but shows "haze" which has to be removed by - polishing with a liquid medium:

First I try the "Gloss Coating Varnish" which has to be applied only with a dry cloth, without anything to be done afterwards:

The result: The haze is reduced, but not gone

And you can clearly see that this varnish leaves streaks, similar to dried water:

ImageAs already said: € 10 (or around USD 12) for 10 ml - for me it's much too expensive for such a result :?

The roof honed again with MicroMesh to remove everything applied and to start again:

This time trying Tamiya Modelling Wax, offered for around € 14 for a medium bottle including re-usable cloth:

Right-hand side polished by hand with this stuff:

Now trying with the motor device and a cotton buffer:

ImageIn my opinion a really impressive result, the surface shows a deep and glossy black, without streaks or anything else :P ! When only polishing by hand, the surface - at least with dark colours - shows some haze, so I would recommend the motor device, but be careful especially at edges! Try with a scrap model in which direction the motor device is turning and how to handle it! - My conclusion: The "Gloss Varnish" may be useful for certain applications, but I do not see any advantage for bringing shine to a complete model. The "Modelling Wax" is highly recommendable, especially as it is water-clear and leaves no white remainings in joints or seams, as it is the case with MicroMesh polish, for example.

LUW

Re: Tamiya polishing medium

Post by LUW » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:12 am

Wowzers! Would that work as well for resin models?
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:21 am

Interesting. I usually resort to car wax, the good stuff doesn't leave any residue either. A very fine grade abrasive paper (>3000) helps too.

There's a cheap general store here that sells car scratch removal kits. I have one and need to try it out on a suitable victim.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:50 am

LUW wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:12 am
Wowzers! Would that work as well for resin models?
Luc, the problem might the decals on your racing models. Some are under clearcoat, but some aren't. Using the polishing wax by hand should be ok, but using the machine could be risky.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 am

Well remembered. For bare decals sometimes even hand polishing is hazardous.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Of course I would only recommend this procedure for normal paint layers which also need to be absolutely dry & hardened! When using decals, they need at least two layers of clear lacquer, and even then I would only start with 3600 or 4000 sanding linen. Whether it is a resin or a metal model is of no matter, it only depends on the paint. And I showed an extreme example with the black Panhard, taking "good" models you can use the Tamiya Modeling Wax simply by hand, with no machine, to give some shine or to touch up smaller blemishes.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 am

Pretty amazing results! :o
-Julio-