Tip for drying/curing paint

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
Alex_W

Tip for drying/curing paint

Post by Alex_W » Wed May 01, 2019 7:02 pm

I use a food dehydrator to dry/cure any type of spray paint. It speeds up the process dramatically and the finish gets very hard. It also helps keep dust out of the finish by filtering the air and shortening drying time. I started doing this on models that required a lot of masking and spraying of multiple coats of different colors, now I just do it as a matter of course. The unit I use has variable time and temperature settings and is pretty roomy inside.

I have a Watson Roadster in the "cooker" right now drying out the base coat of white enamel. With most paints I can mask and re-spray in a few hours as opposed to a few days.

I hope this tip is useful.

Jager

Re: Tip for drying/curing paint

Post by Jager » Wed May 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Does this work for resin as well, or just diecast Alex ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W » Wed May 01, 2019 10:54 pm

Jager wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:09 pm
Does this work for resin as well, or just diecast Alex ?
I use it on metal, resin, and plastic.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu May 02, 2019 12:44 am

Great idea :D But do you get a tasty gravy this way? :lol: Drying within hours sounds very interesting, I hate waiting :roll: However, I use the heating device room in the cellar. On top of this machine I have constantly 25 °C and 0 % humidity, that's working good, as well. But thanks for your advice, I'm already browsing the www to find out what would be suitable... ;)

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W » Thu May 02, 2019 11:05 am

Jean B. wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:44 am
Great idea :D But do you get a tasty gravy this way? :lol: Drying within hours sounds very interesting, I hate waiting :roll: However, I use the heating device room in the cellar. On top of this machine I have constantly 25 °C and 0 % humidity, that's working good, as well. But thanks for your advice, I'm already browsing the www to find out what would be suitable... ;)
Red paint makes the best gravy :lol:

My unit is variable from about 95°F to about 158°F (35°C to 70°C) and the timer can be set up to 10 hours. Of course the humidity is 0 in a dehydrator. I found it for about $75US at a discount store. I've had less expensive "stacking" models in the past that had no temperature control and they were OK, but I like this one much better. It is a "front load" unit with removable shelves so I didn't need to do any modification to allow the models to fit, and it does a good job of keeping out the dust.

This is the unit I bought:

https://chefman.com/product/6-tray-food-dehydrator/

This one looks like it is the same unit but with Celsius controls/readout:

https://www.amazon.de/BioChef-D%C3%B6rr ... ay&sr=8-25

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:10 pm

Finally:

This is my dehydrator for drying paint. I will try this for the first time when painting the F3 racer I'm right now building. And of course I will inform you about the effect :P

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:02 pm

It looks almost exactly like the one I use. I am happy with mine, I look forward to hearing about the results you achive.

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Here's my dehydrator :) :

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:35 am

Might seem like a silly question but what are the advantages of this over a domestic oven?
I tend to pop mine on a baking tray and pop in the oven at 50C for 10 minutes. So far nothing has melted in any material i've tried
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:49 am

Your next pizza might taste like spray paint though. :lol:

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:36 am

Jager wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 pm
Here's my dehydrator :) :
Wonderful 8-) Although it's horrible what we must see in the news every day... I hope you and your family are alright and safe :?: But as far as I know the fires are mainly in Eastern Australia, far away from you. However, in Germany it's difficult to think in such dimensions :oops:
scalainj wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:35 am
Might seem like a silly question but what are the advantages of this over a domestic oven?
I tend to pop mine on a baking tray and pop in the oven at 50C for 10 minutes. So far nothing has melted in any material i've tried
Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:49 am
Your next pizza might taste like spray paint though. :lol:
First: I've got to walk a long way from the kitchen to my workshop :) ; and second: That's it, I always use enamel and nitro paints, and the smell is hardly bearable in the house :mrgreen:

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:16 am

I use a food dehydrator as well for all my models regardless of materials. Works a treat.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:00 pm

reeft1 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:16 am
I use a food dehydrator as well for all my models regardless of materials. Works a treat.
My first test was good, too :P I dried at only 40 °C (104 °F), but only this shortened the time a lot.