Slimey Waterslide Decals

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
SpeedCat71

Slimey Waterslide Decals

Post by SpeedCat71 »

Hi. I would say I’ve had varying success with waterslide decals, however on quite a few occasions now when the decal has been immersed and is ready to be applied, it becomes just like a slimy mess and is good for absolutely nothing. I have tried various types of decal paper and cannot pinpoint why this happens. Has anybody else had it happened to them?

Tom

Re: Slimey Waterslide Decals

Post by Tom »

The quality just seems to vary immensely.

SpeedCat71

Post by SpeedCat71 »

You’ve had similar issues then?

Tom

Post by Tom »

Very much so. Older decals won't adhere or just break up.

SpeedCat71

Post by SpeedCat71 »

Yes indeed. I wish I could find somebody who can make proper waterslide decals rather than ones I make at home. Any that you get with a proper kit or the like always work quite well.

Jager

Post by Jager »

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you leaving them in the water too long? Most commercial waterslide decals I've used only need about 20 seconds before the bond with the backing paper Is broken and can be slid into place.

I work with one decal at a time, rather than throwing all the decals from one car in at once.

There is also a recommendation to use lukewarm water rather than cold water, which might help break down the 'slime'.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

So......... are you using an inkjet printer or a laser printer? I’m guessing its inkjet - are you using a clear lacquer top coat?

Waterslide decals printed on an inkjet printer on dedicated inkjet waterslide decal paper must be sprayed with a good covering of acrylic lacquer or the decals do just go to mush in water, even after a few seconds

With the spray in situ and well dried, i still find much more than 20 secs can start to increase the risk of breakdown through the lacquer

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

The way I'm doing it (generally the same points already mentioned here):

Use appropriate decal paper for either DeskJet (laser printers) or InkJet! I only work with deskjet.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/5-Bl-Laser-Wass ... 1438.l2649
Here I buy waterslide decal paper for InkJet in white or clear with very good quality.

Covering the print with varnish. I made the best experiences with Humbrol Gloss/Matt Cote. I don't use airbrush, but only apply the varnish with a broad brush in one move over the print-out. It dries within ten minutes and can be processed then. Be careful with some varnishes, some solve the ink/the toner, sometimes only one colour (magenta).

Contrary to Jager, I only use cold water. For me there seems to be no difference, and in my cellar workshop I only have cold water :)

I dunk only one decal at a time (I agree with Jager) for only 5 - 10 seconds into the water, then put in on a damp handkerchief and wait another 20 seconds. This is sufficient, don't let it too long completely in water.

Sometimes, if the decal does not stick or the model is too curved, I use either decal adhesive or decal softener. As soon as the decal is in the right place, I press a dry and clean handkerchief on it to remove water or adhesive (only press, do not wipe!).

After drying, at least some hours, I cover the decals either by varnishing the complete car, or with a brush, applying the varnish just a bit over the edges of the decal for preventing that it gets loose after some time.

Following this procedure I recently made an Audi e-tron with custom design like this:

Tom

Post by Tom »

Great job!

SpeedCat71

Post by SpeedCat71 »

Jean B. wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:15 am
The way I'm doing it (generally the same points already mentioned here):

Use appropriate decal paper for either DeskJet (laser printers) or InkJet! I only work with deskjet.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/5-Bl-Laser-Wass ... 1438.l2649
Here I buy waterslide decal paper for InkJet in white or clear with very good quality.

Covering the print with............it gets loose after some time.

Following this procedure I recently made an Audi e-tron with custom design like this:

reeft1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:20 pm
So......... are you using an inkjet printer or a laser printer? I’m guessing its inkjet - are you using a clear lacquer top coat?

Waterslide decals printed...............l a few seconds

With the spray in situ and well dried, i still find much more than 20 secs can start to increase the risk of breakdown through the lacquer
Jager wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:00 pm
At the risk of stating the obvious, are you leaving them in the water too long? Most commercial waterslide decals I've used only need about 20 seconds before the bond with the .......................l. lukewarm water rather than cold water, which might help break down the 'slime'.
Thank you everybody for your help and advice. I do use an inkjet printer and seal all the decals with a water-based matte finish spray applied sealer. I use cold water but not freezing cold and only do one at a time and leave them for us less time as possible submersed. So it is either something to do the sealer perhaps or else I do not know. As it is quite an intermittent problem, maybe the sealer just reacts with certain makes of the decal paper-as I have used different ones. I am going to try what has been recommended above and see how that goes. I will let you know once I’ve tried it all. Thanks again and Happy Christmas

SpeedCat71

Post by SpeedCat71 »

Have got to say, that using the Humbrol gloss varnish seems to have stopped all of the issues and the decals have been going on perfect. Evidence will be seen on here soon. Many thanks for the advice.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Glad its sorted the issue