Diecast Photography Tutorial

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
dcast

Re: Diecast Photography Tutorial

Post by dcast »

Nicely done tutorial :) Interesting example car too ;)

Sometimes have tried to get the whole model in focus by zooming in (optical zoom in digital camera), but it's tricky that way as well, because my camera is quite picky to focus in small objects like models, when zoomed in, even if I use the Macro mode. When the distance happens to be right, the depth of field should be just right to get the whole model in focus.
Also, when zoomed in, to avoid blurry image because of shaky hands, have used a tripod and 10 second timer for the shot, so the camera has time to stabilize after I take my hands out of it. I also usually add exposure to avoid dark and grey pics, but still usually have to do some corrections with Gimp.
Using Gimp also to reduce the size and as it gets a bit softer when resized smaller, using the Unsharp Mask -tool to slightly sharpen the image.
If everything comes together perfectly, perhaps my pics are nearly passable, hopefully :P

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yes, the Chinese Passat will be shown later. :)

I use a tripod and shutter timer with the DSLR too, the lightbox seems to provide enough light to avoid motion blur. My sports watch has a remote shutter release for the phone camera, if that works with the video setting too it might come in handy for the 360° shots.

This doesn't work for diorama shots, when time is a little less tight I will work on those. I have a decent selection of diorama materials by now.

Stewart Frazer

Post by Stewart Frazer »

This is my somewhat crude set up at the moment

Kitchen worktop
A3 paper or coloured card on top of a book to a suitable height. Paper is weighted down and curved against the wall
iPad propped up to a suitable angle in a seed tray to slide it around.
Battery powered LED lamp, I’ve learned to keep it back a bit to give a softer light
Remote shutter release

Seems to work fairly well but I have ordered a light box/tent thingy
Cheers
Stewart

Stewart Frazer

Post by Stewart Frazer »

Just took this with that set up, paper a bit crumpled
Cheers
Stewart

Tom

Post by Tom »

That is not a bad result at all. If you use an app like pixlr you could easily take the background out for a 'clean' effect.

I had a job shooting small jewelry and the vendor wanted 'clean' shots with no shade. So I ordered a LED light panel off aliexpress to try this. A small size did the job so for under EUR 10 I could tinker to my heart's content

Naturally, I couldn't resist trying it on diecast too

I think it looks good, but I prefer a bit of shadow over the 'floating' model. It's nice to mess around with, though.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Nice