Diecast restorers?

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
StevieSX

Diecast restorers?

Post by StevieSX »

So I've recently made a regrettable purchase from eBay that I don't think I can necessarily contest.
A.jpg
B.jpg
C.jpg
Unfortunately this Spark Lister Storm GTL is pretty tatty in terms of its decals. The physical model itself is fine. The advert listing stated that the item was 'mint' but the pictures show the notable decal damage. I just quickly checked the first picture to see that it was indeed the remodelled GTL version, which is pretty rare as far as I can tell and trusted the 'mint' description. More fool me I guess.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get something like this restored? I paid £65 for it and given it's rarity I imagine it may still hold some value but they come up so rarely that if there is something that can be done, I may consider it even if it's potentially costly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jager

Re: Diecast restorers?

Post by Jager »

I guess the first question is can you even get replacement decals?

Normally Spark's decals are protected by a layer of clear coat, so removing the damaged decals will be difficult. You might have to simply put the new decals over the top of the old decals, which might not line up. Otherwise, you could be looking at a full strip and repaint.

Can you return it, or is it too late for that?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

I was surprised to see the level of decal damage as well, as I had thought the same - Spark decals seem to typically be sealed in with a layer of gloss. It would take some pretty aggressive handling or very poor storage to get to this condition I imagine.

I will probably contact the seller about returning it but the description at one point says look at the pictures, so unless the person decides to suddenly be a saint about it, they can probably say the description states what is needed, even though it is still misleading.

A part of me is thinking that I should keep it anyway given that they don't come up often at all and then consider moving it on if I find a better version in the future. I'm not necessarily sure if I over paid as I have seen actual mint versions come up at around £120 from memory - I just didn't really intend to buy a slightly knackered version.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

I wouldn’t try to restore it. I think (frustratingly) its a case of keep it or return it. When you determine which you want to do, trying asking the seller. If they refuse, lodge an ebay case- they are normally pretty supportive

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Restoring decals is quite a delicate job. Many decal foils simply dissolve when getting in contact with clear paints, so if you do so, be very careful! Finding a non-aggressive clear-coat (I mostly use Humbrol Gloss Kote), and applying this with only one "brush" very thin around the edges, so that they get down to the car again, is the best way of handling this problem.

In many cases, I paint the missing parts of the decals by hand, this seems to be easier than removing/applying/restoring old decals.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Further to above, I don't think GBP 65 is any great bargain for the 1997 Listers. As there were two cars, I think that makes prices reasonable (unlike the 95 & '96 cars where there was only one entry). Here's a perfect '97 car that sold for only GBP 56:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-storm ... 3176155201

IF you can't return it, there are 'Newcastle United' decals available from Pattos Place for this car:

Search under "Lster Storm - Nwcastle Unted":

http://www.pattosplace.com/decalsL.html
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Jager wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:24 am
Further to above, I don't think GBP 65 is any great bargain for the 1997 Listers. As there were two cars, I think that makes prices reasonable (unlike the 95 & '96 cars where there was only one entry). Here's a perfect '97 car that sold for only GBP 56:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-storm ... 3176155201

IF you can't return it, there are 'Newcastle United' decals available from Pattos Place for this car:

Search under "Lster Storm - Nwcastle Unted":

http://www.pattosplace.com/decalsL.html
Thanks, I might also look at that just for the Newcastle United logo on the bonnet. That livery appears to be slightly different from the Le Mans version - possibly what they ran in the British GT series or something similar. JeanB has offered to assist with this and I know that will lead to a good result.

I didn't see that one in France - I guess people were trying to charge more in the UK and the States as I had not seen one at that price previously, although the P&P does put the amount up a bit. Those pictures do show that there is slight physical model damage on the edges of the front bumper as well though. Disappointing though. To be honest, I think I need to take this as a bit of a lesson to be more careful with purchases in future.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

I am not a 'cars with numbers' fan but Centauria Supercars Series have recently (April) issued a Partworks series die cast metal black Lister Storm GT which can probably be bought cheaply to modify and practice on with a spare set of decals.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

It looks to me like the old decals are not tight to the surface of the model in some spots. Which means they'll probably need to come off and be replaced. You're in good hands with JB. I'm sure he'll work it out.