Upgrading my display cabinet

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
StevieSX

Upgrading my display cabinet

Post by StevieSX »

Having decided to use some incoming cash to upgrade my display cabinet with additional glass shelving (finally getting rid of the temporary foam shelves), I've got pretty much every car packed away in it's box. Took a few evenings with 500 odd but it was quite satisfying. There are a few still out that never had boxes so most of those will get wrapped up and stored with the rest, barring a few where I've added little bits that will snap off if I try to do that.
20210319_000646.jpg
I am planning to put an LED strip at front and back of the underneath of each wooden shelf to give the cars some proper lighting and show the detail. I was then thinking, is it worth running some UV light strips along the edges as highlighted in the picture below?
20210319_000739.jpg
I'm unclear as to whether occasionally giving the models some UV light will help them. I've read that UV light will lead to damaging paint and fading plastic parts on models but also that white decals will yellow over time (at least older models) if they don't get any sunlight, so I'm a little unsure on this. I have a few models that have started to go a bit beige but then again, I can't recall now if I bought them like that or they have become that way in my care...paranoia setting in a little!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StevieSX on Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alfaholic

Re: Upgrading my display cabinet

Post by Alfaholic »

Ohhhh, that look's like a shopping list - I'll have...... :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the outcome.
Martin

Tom

Post by Tom »

Impressive collection! Looking forward to the new display. I'm of the 'no UV' type myself.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Looks like you are at maximum capacity, no social distancing there :lol:
Jeff

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Finally progressing on this with 16 glass shelves, a big old perspex screen and 5m of LED strip lights and the appropriate gear ordered.

The models have been stuck under my bed for months now (probably up to 100 that have never been on display) so it will be really nice to get progress towards displaying them again :D

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Took a few pictures of some of the work in progress and bits that have arrived.
Unit Reinforced.jpg
The floating shelves have been fixed in place with additional black screws. The original fixed shelves with the silver screws have covers.
Shelf runners.jpg
Bought some basic black plastic angled moulding to act as shelf runners and these were cut to size and drilled for screws.
Runners in place.jpg
Starting to get the shelf runners in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Additional back support.jpg
A couple of bits of hardboard were cut to sit across the back and re-inforce the structure for the additional weight of the glass shelves and will also rest against the wall to be drilled through and fixed in place against the wall to avoid any tipping forward.
Glass Shelves.jpg
These glass shelves (16 of them, two lots of 2 and four lots of 3 for the gaps between the fixed wooden shelving) will rest on the runners.

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

LEDs.jpg
These will sit at the back and will be 45 degree angled downwards and to the front. 6 lots of around 75cm worth for the underneath of each wooden shelf.
Perspex door.jpg
A perspex door will cover the front to keep dust out. I'll need to get some hinges, magnetic strips and possibly some anti dust strips to fill gaps. The tube in this picture contains the diffuser conduit for the LEDs, in black.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

It's coming along nicely.

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks like you'll be able to fit in lots of models.

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor »

Looking great champ..

Wished i used a diffuser for my led strips in my cabinet.
Adhesive 3m tape backing i stuck to the underside of glass shelf to light things up but you do get the rows of led dots reflected on the vehicle rooves that wouldnt show being difused but not found a way of doing just that.
Lars

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Alex_W wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:51 pm
It's coming along nicely.
Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:34 pm
That looks like you'll be able to fit in lots of models.
Hopefully about 330 models, so somewhere around half of the collection.
rotormotor wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:10 am
Looking great champ..

Wished i used a diffuser for my led strips in my cabinet.
Adhesive 3m tape backing i stuck to the underside of glass shelf to light things up but you do get the rows of led dots reflected on the vehicle rooves that wouldnt show being difused but not found a way of doing just that.
Ahh, the diffuser strips will be screwed in to the top of the cabinet and provide good light, hopefully without being too harsh.

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Putting the first of the glass shelves in.
20211010_174556.jpg
Time for lunch so the perspex door needs to sit on (still in it's protective cover for now).
20211010_174709.jpg
Finally got to the point where everything is in place and it's ready for models to start going in!
20211010_200209.jpg

Jager

Post by Jager »

Looking good. Now the fun can begin.

Just remember to work slowly and carefully…every time I’ve reloaded my shelves I’ve managed to break the odd toe hook, side mirror and rear spoiler snd usually end up with 2 or 3 cars needing minor repairs.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Jager wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:38 pm
Looking good. Now the fun can begin.

Just remember to work slowly and carefully…every time I’ve reloaded my shelves I’ve managed to break the odd toe hook, side mirror and rear spoiler snd usually end up with 2 or 3 cars needing minor repairs.
So far I accidentally knocked an aerial which was easy enough to put back on but seemingly a small decal has come off one of the models and I cannot for the life of me work out from where. Definitely being careful but I think sometimes it's almost inevitable. I guess that's the benefit of 1:24 and up - they're a bit sturdier.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I think everyone here relates, I need to keep glue on standby for every cleaning or rearrangement.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

That does look good.