Help/advice needed

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
David MG

Help/advice needed

Post by David MG » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 am

Just bought a LookSmart Ferrari California T and cannot see how to get it off it's solid plinth. Bottom layer is strongly glued and upper is even worse. Any clues without destroying the plinth,guys?

Cheers,
David

LUW

Re: Help/advice needed

Post by LUW » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:43 am

You mean it's not screwed? On my TSM Ford GT at a distance it also didn't seem to have any screws, but the screws were below the velvet (or whatever) that recovered the plinth - there was a flap to access the screws.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:54 am

Either peel the bottom layer off to reveal the screws of if this is impossible i create small hole where the screw is and push the screwdriver through to get to the screw
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

David MG

Post by David MG » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:01 am

scalainj wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:54 am
Either peel the bottom layer off to reveal the screws of if this is impossible i create small hole where the screw is and push the screwdriver through to get to the screw
That makes sense.
Cheers,
David

Featherless_Biped

Re: More Help/advice needed

Post by Featherless_Biped » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 am

I hope you've had success with these suggestions. Now, if I may, I would like to direct this thread to another problem for which I need advice.

I bought this Maxichamps Porsche 924, but the model's stance is not quite right. I thought I could fix this by the usual methods which would involve removing the base and axle. However, I can't figure out how to remove the base. :oops: There aren't any screws, and I couldn't snap it off by prying.

The center hole is for attaching it to the plinth. The two areas on either side of it are not screws. :?

Another thing that may be useful to know in figuring this out: the model's rear wheels are on some sort of spring suspension. The wheels/axle move vertically with downward pressure and spring back up when released. :o

I checked another Maxichamps model (Scirroco), and it has screws but no springs.

Any advice on adjusting the stance and/or removing the base would be appreciated.

RT

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:37 am

RT, some model makers hide the screws under items like the exhaust muffler. See if this can be gently prised off the base.

Likewise, is the hexagonal shape at the front a separate piece ? If so, you may find a screw hidden underneath.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:27 pm

On some older diecast models the front end of the metal baseplate locates into a cut out slot in the body under the front bumper. If it's a plastic baseplate it may need slight levering/bending if tolerances (the two mm at the font) is too tight.

Looking at this model the rear of the baseplate of this model it is flush with the body. However there appears to be a two mm gap between edge of baseplate and body at the front. I suspect that with the plinth screw removed the baseplate can be slid forward into the slot. Therefore the back end of the baseplate should drop down allowing the baseplate to slide out at a shallow angle.

Do what is necessary to axles/wheels then at a shallow angle offer in the front of the baseplate into the slot under the front bumper. Raise rear end of baseplate and slide rearward 'til it is flush with the rear edge of body. Re-screw to plinth to totally secure.

Very similar to some of my old Mebetoys/Politoys when I needed to adjust axle lengths and change wheels.

Just a suggestion.

David MG

Post by David MG » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:19 am

David MG wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:01 am
scalainj wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:54 am
That makes sense.
Andy, did the hole and screwdriver route and it worked a treat. Good suggestion.
Cheers,
David

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Jager wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:37 am
RT, some model makers hide the screws under items like the exhaust muffler. See if this can be gently prised off the base.

Likewise, is the hexagonal shape at the front a separate piece ? If so, you may find a screw hidden underneath.
GBOAC002 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:27 pm
I suspect that with the plinth screw removed the baseplate can be slid forward into the slot.
Thanks for the suggestions, Ian & Ian.

> I removed the muffler which was glued in place. No screws underneath.
> The hexagonal shape is not a separate piece. The differential is a separate piece, but it is firmly glued into place, and I hesitate to try to remove it. In the end, I think it would be my best course of action – if I wanted to risk the possible damage.
> The baseplate cannot be slid foreward; it's fixed in place somehow.

I think I will just insert a small wedge in the gap that allows the axle to move up and down, fixing it in the position it needs to be in. Alternatively, I might try to remove a rear wheel to see what I can observe above the base plate.

Pictures will be posted soon – I hope. :)

RT