Matrix AC Cobra

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
Jager

Matrix AC Cobra

Post by Jager »

Amazing looking model from Matrix, but there are question marks from collectors about the depth of the colour.

Judge for yourself.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Re: Matrix AC Cobra

Post by Tom »

I don't really trust '60s colour photographs when it comes to accurate colours, they seem washed out. However, it appears that the car is a little darker than it should be.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Tom wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:46 am
I don't really trust '60s colour photographs when it comes to accurate colours, they seem washed out. However, it appears that the car is a little darker than it should be.
Same from me.
Jeff

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped »

Tom wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:46 am
I don't really trust '60s colour photographs when it comes to accurate colours, they seem washed out.
No doubt about that. Photos will fade in 50+ years, but some film brands in those days did not yield accurate color renditions. (I used to sell film back in the day.) The photo in the upper right looks typical.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom »

Looking at my parents' family pics from the 1970s they're pretty much all red. Improper stopping or fixing probably.

Jager

Post by Jager »

There no doubt photos fade with time, but a lot of historic racing pictures are being digitized from slides.

While some of the pictures show faded colours, the one in the bottom right looks pretty crisp when you see the colours of the clothes people are wearing.

It's been suggested the actual colour was closer to the metallic green used by Aston Martin at the time (a terrible picture but interesting for comparative purposes):

Hence, perhaps it should look more like this?

Jager

Post by Jager »

Looking into this a bit further, it appears Matrix have modelled this based on the restored car as it is today (complete with the chunky Goodyear tyres that it never had in the day). So, arguably its somewhat more correct for the 2020 version of the car and maybe less correct for the 1964 version of the car ;) .

BertOne

Post by BertOne »

The road version looks even more wrong. But, it's so cool, I'm prepared to overlook it. 8-)

Tom

Post by Tom »

I guess we can be happy that a model has been made at all. Despite the inaccuracies it's a great model of a really cool car. Very desirable.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Tom wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:21 pm
I guess we can be happy that a model has been made at all. Despite the inaccuracies it's a great model of a really cool car. Very desirable.
It's not the first or only model of this car Tom. Pinko produced this one ten years ago. I wouldn't suggest the finish is anywhere near the Matrix, but its potentially a more accurate example and at this point will do me until such time as the Spark version comes along ;) .

Tom

Post by Tom »

Well, at least Matrix got the size of the A-pillars right.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:24 am
Well, at least Matrix got the size of the A-pillars right.
You're right Tom, but A-pillars were always a problem for resin model makers in the beginning. Spark only produced open cockpit cars for the first coupe of year, and when they did eventually start producing closed cockpit cars, they also had overly thick A-pillars - just look at some of their original E-Type Jaguars. The resin makers have come a long way in the last 10 years.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Shame Jolly Models are still stuck in the 1980s with their casting skills....... i can say that as i own quite a few lol