What I did during Lockdown... TWR Rover SD1 'Fleet'

BTCC, WTCC, DTM etc
MT392

What I did during Lockdown... TWR Rover SD1 'Fleet'

Post by MT392 »

Well… I wasn’t quite under lockdown as I kept working all the way through but I still found plenty of quiet time that I thought I could put to good use.
Originally and on the eve of global shut down I bought through Ebay a Neo 43rd scale model of the TWR ‘Fleet’ Rover SD1 after receiving a notification of ‘Your order has been sent’ I settled down for a long wait, but a day or so later received a refund from the seller… Hmmm it appeared postal services were no longer available.
After reading Alan Scott’s wonderful book ‘TWR and Rover’s SD1’ and learning of the history of these very carefully and well constructed race cars. How many times in the 80’s did I hear the line 4.5 litre Rovers? Anyway I decided I ‘needed’ a model of this car, this being the ‘Fleet’ sponsored 1984 season car that ran in the European Touring Car Championship alongside (or usually slightly behind) the TWR Jaguar XJS cars, I dusted off the old S&J Models kit I have had in storage for over 20 years. Decals and window mouldings were very yellowed so I taped the decals to the window and let the sun do its thing, in days they were fine. As a precaution I gave them a coat or two of clear gloss. Windows I don’t think can be saved but luckily I had another S&J Rover kit that I raided for this item, I shall deal with that when I build the Bastos version… If anyone has a cure for yellowed clear plastic…
Luckily I found enough green paint and created an approximate shade, blue was easy from what I had. Just as well as hobby supplies weren’t regarded as an essential item that could be sent. Despite missing the interior tub that I created from plastic it all went together very well and proved to be an enjoyable exercise. Even the decals went on as per the makers instructions.
Really very pleased that I put the effort into this and even though the finish and quality would not be up to the Neo model, I think I’d rather have this one sitting on the shelf.
Now on with the Bastos version…
Photo shows ‘not quite finished’ Rover securing parking spot, so excuse wonky wheel and unsecured bumper and no mirrors as of yet.

scalainj
Site Admin

Re: What I did during Lockdown... TWR Rover SD1 'Fleet'

Post by scalainj »

I've got a bit of thing for the SD1 possibly as the old man had one in period.
The Neo is a good model but making one for yourself is more satisfying. Nice
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Excellent job!

Jager

Post by Jager »

Nice work....that must be very satisfying.

I've often though the Group A era Rover SDi was one of those cars that has never been properly exploited by model manufacturers.

Here in Australia we saw the SDi's race at Bathurst a few times. One of the most eye-catching was this all pink car from 1986, which I think would sell quite well:

Here's the same car from a year earlier:

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

MT392

Post by MT392 »

Jager wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:02 am
I've often though the Group A era Rover SDi was one of those cars that has never been properly exploited by model manufacturers.

Here in Australia we saw the SDi's race at Bathurst a few times. One of the most eye-catching was this all pink car from 1986, which I think would sell quite well:
Totally agree, although not all at once! Surprised the Hulme/Allam Siverstone TT winning Istell Rover hasn't made it into 43rd scale. Seeing that it is available in 18th.
Remember the Slako Rover well. From what I recall hearing it was built local and not an ex TWR or similar car. Quite an achievement as it wasn't an easy car to make go fast and/or reliable. Think the Slako car was a mid field runner, but a welcome change from the hoardes of Commodores and 635s. I have a vague recollection of it running in the Wellington Street race back in the day. We also had the TWR cars race here too. One year in the memorable brown Peanut slab sponsorship, that would stand out in any collection!

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Very nicely executed. Good job.

S&J kits are very rare so well done for having a couple in your collection.

Yellowing vac form is a problem and not easily fixed at all. Most people consider it beyond repair but ive had some success by using car paint cutting compound on a q-tip/cotton bud. You need to apply a fair amount of pressure and the clear plastic wont be quite as gin clear as before but its worth a go before they are used as a template for clear plastic replacements.

MT392

Post by MT392 »

reeft1 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:18 am
Yellowing vac form is a problem and not easily fixed at all. Most people consider it beyond repair but ive had some success by using car paint cutting compound on a q-tip/cotton bud. You need to apply a fair amount of pressure and the clear plastic wont be quite as gin clear as before but its worth a go before they are used as a template for clear plastic replacements.
I shall give the clear a try. All is not lost though as I have a couple of Heller plastic SD1s that can be raided for the windscreen, flat glazing is easy enough.
From my 'Historical documents' comes the S&J flyer. Think there was an XR4Ti road car as well. Managed to get 3 of the Rovers (Mobil, Bastos and Fleet)but again disappointed that the Allam/Hulme TT car wasn't made... or maybe it was?