Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:45 am
Like those!
Tom wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:00 am
Like those a lot.
Thanks, guys. :)
Tom wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:00 am
Neither looks like a good choice for a long rally, BTW.
Jager wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 am
I’m not sure what’s more surprising....that someone would enter a bubble car in the Mille Miglia, or that someone would reproduce it in 1:43.
Right. When I bought the model, I looked for photos of the 1:1 to see if it had actually been raced. It seemed doubtful. :?
Alfaholic wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 am
I think if you look up the word “madness” in the dictionary you’ll find tha picture of an Isetta on the Mille Miglia.
If two guys squeezed in a bubble weren't mad before the race, they had a good chance of being mad at the end. :lol:
LUW wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 am
First time I see the Giaur, interesting.
You can't tell from my photos, but the Giaur is a very small car - smaller than a Caterham Super Seven - yet it's a two-seater. :o
LM24HRS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:49 pm
I had to re-read that 7 Isettas entered the the MM in 1954. Must of had their own little race at the back!
That's probably true. But most of the Isettas beat the Fiat 500 C and the Fiat 1400.

RT

Featherless_Biped

Re: Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Post by Featherless_Biped » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:12 pm

I posted pics of this next model about five years ago. (Wow, time flies. :shock: ) The Photobucket pictures are gone now, but the car has an interesting story so I'll repost.

This is the "Fabulous Hudson Hornet" driven by Tim Flock. Mr. Flock raced in the first NASCAR event.

Wikipedia says "The first-generation Hudson Hornets featured a functional "step-down" design with dropped floorpan and a chassis with a lower center of gravity than contemporary vehicles that helped the car handle well – a bonus for racing. The Hornet's lower and sleeker look was accentuated by streamlined styling. The car's 'unique, low slung appearance and silky handling earned Hudson an image that – for many buyers – eclipsed luxury marques like Cadillac.'" But it looks like changing the rear tires during a race might have been a hassle. :roll:

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Factoid: Flock had a rhesus monkey named Jocko Flocko as co-driver in a win in 1953. According to Wikipedia, "Jocko Flocko became the only winning monkey ever. The monkey was retired two weeks later at Raleigh, where the monkey pulled the device to allow the driver to observe the right front tire and was hit by a pebble.... Tim had to do a pit stop to remove the monkey, and he finished third (he would have won without the problem)."

Jeff asked if Jocko lived. Yes, Jocko lived. He was grazed by the pebble that flew off the right front wheel while Flock was driving 100 mph. Jocko went crazy with pain, screaming and running around inside the Hudson, eventually ending up on Flock's back screaming and clawing. Flock pulled into the pits, handed the monkey to a crew member, and returned to to the race. That was Jocko's last race.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Jocko was quite famous in those days (1953) and a fan favorite. He had a specially-made seat on the passenger side (hmmm, that wasn't included in my model ) that allowed him to see out the windows, wave to fans, and distract competitors. When they won, Tim was paid in cash; Jocko in peanuts. He had his own driving suit with the car number on the back.

(I had a photo of Jocko in his #91 driving suit, but I can't get it to post here. :x )

The car even had Jocko's name on the roof of the passenger side.

In later years, when asked whatever happened to Jocko, Flock smiled and said "I couldn't teach him to sign his autograph, so I had to fire him!" :lol:

Team Caliber.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Like the car and the model a lot, absolutely love the back story. I don't think we'll see characters like this guy in motorsports anymore, much more sanitised and politically correct nowadays...

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:02 pm

REALLY nice one.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:09 pm

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:55 am

I would hate to be the one washing Jocko's driving suit :lol:
Jeff
ImageImage

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 am

Great model and story.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 am

That's a cool car and a cool story. It's just a pity they never supplied a figure of Jocko with the car.

Corgi and Dinky both did various circus vehicles in the 70's, so perhaps there is a 1:43 monkey floating around somewhere.

There is also a company called Schleich that makes small realistic animal figure. If you google "Schleich monkey" you'll see they make many different styles. Maybe something there is suitable.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:39 pm

reeft1 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 am
Great model and story.
Jager wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 am
That's a cool car and a cool story.
Thank you.
JSB33 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:55 am
I would hate to be the one washing Jocko's driving suit :lol:
It was a cool story until Jeff brought this to mind. :roll: :lol:
Jager wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 am
It's just a pity they never supplied a figure of Jocko with the car.

Corgi and Dinky both did various circus vehicles in the 70's, so perhaps there is a 1:43 monkey floating around somewhere.
Great idea, Ian. :idea: My SO just happens to have several 1:43 monkeys. :roll: I have enlisted one of them to be my Jocko. :P

RT

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:43 pm

That really brings the story to life. Excellent.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:11 pm

The 1906 Targa Florio was an open road endurance race held in the mountains of Sicily. There were three laps of a 92.5 mile (149 km) circuit for a total of 277.4 miles (446.4 km). The winner drove for 9½ hours averaging 29 mph (46.7 km/h). The competitors were shot at by brigands, so the promoter (Vincenzo Florio) appointed the three most important mafiosi as stewards of the meeting, to stop this happening again. :shock:

Although there are no numbers on this model, four of the first five places in the 1906 race were won by drivers in an Itala 35/40 hp similar to this one. A "red sled." :lol:

Itala 35/40 HP. 1906. Rio.

The challenge in a 1907 Paris newspaper: "What needs to be proved today is that as long as a man has a car, he can do anything and go anywhere. Is there anyone who will undertake to travel this summer from Peking to Paris by automobile?"

And so the famous Peking to Paris (Parigi/Pechino) “race” was held that year, a distance of 9,317 miles (14,994 km). The prize for the first car to reach Paris was a magnum of Mumm champagne. The race began in 1907 on June 10 and the winner finished two months later. It was held during a time when cars were fairly new and the route traversed remote areas of Asia where people were not yet familiar with motor travel. Following a telegraph route, the race went through countryside where there were forest paths and caravan trails, but no roads or roadmaps. For the race, camels carrying fuel left Peking and set up at stations along the route, to provide fuel for the racers.

Much of the road was too steep for the cars' small engines, and mules or men pulling ropes hitched to the cars were needed to drag them through the mountain passes. At one point, a bridge collapsed under the Itala, which nevertheless survived to finish the trip.

The winner drove a 35/45 Itala. In second place was a Spyker which arrived 20 days later than the winning Itala. From spiderbomb.com:
Bodywork was rudimentary, containing two front seats and a rear seat flanked by twin 150 litre petrol tanks. All could be removed to lighten the car when extricating it from a bog. The rear seat was often filled with luggage, the 3rd man then sitting on the front floor with feet on the running board. Initially, the mudguards (wings) consisted of four "iron planks" which could be removed quickly to aid in crossing obstacles. However, these were discarded soon after the start as part of what became a continuing process of weight reduction and the majority of the trip was completed in an open-wheeler. Consider the Gobi desert in summer, dust and then mud, rain throughout much of Russia, all in an open car.

The many trials and dangers encountered on this famous race make fascinating stories. Would make a good movie. See historic photos and read more here: http://www.unmuseum.org/autorace.htm

Itala 35/45 HP. 1907. Rio.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:20 pm

The cars are cool but the back stories are even cooler. A friend of mine attempted the Peking-Paris a couple of years ago as a co-driver in a 1931 Lagonda 3 litre but it broke down beyond repair early on.

LUW

Post by LUW » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Not my cup of java, but with back stories like that, they become VERY desirable.

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Two great models. Their slightly 'basic' details are perfect for the era.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 am

And after the race, the Itala could remove the extra tanks and seat and could be used as a working truck. But it was probably built tough enough to withstand the roads of the day.
Pretty cool that there is a model of these.
Jeff
ImageImage

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:20 pm
The cars are cool but the back stories are even cooler. A friend of mine attempted the Peking-Paris a couple of years ago as a co-driver in a 1931 Lagonda 3 litre but it broke down beyond repair early on.
Thanks, Tom. There's been some reenactments of this run, but I don't think they have all been on the original route. Apparently the Russians would not allow reenactments on the original route until the dissolution of the USSR.
LUW wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:49 pm
Not my cup of java, but with back stories like that, they become VERY desirable.
You're in luck. The stories are free and don't take any room for display. :)
Jager wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:31 pm
Two great models. Their slightly 'basic' details are perfect for the era.
They're fine if one collects models for representation rather than exact reproduction. It would have been cool if the model came with road dust and luggage and equipment seen in the old photos.
JSB33 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 am
But it was probably built tough enough to withstand the roads of the day.
Pretty cool that there is a model of these.
They must have been tough to survive waist-deep mud, high temps of the desert, etc. For part of the trip, the cars traveled on the railroad, bumping along over the ties. Yes, Rio has done us a service to commemorate these old timers and the race.

Le Mans 1954. Rolt/Hamilton. 2nd.

Not too bad for a cheap model – but then again, I'm no expert. :?

Jaguar D-type. Quartzo.

This 1937 Lancia Astura spider was prepared in 1939 by Carrozzeria Colli for the driver Luigi "Gigi" Villoresi to race in the 1940 Mille Miglia. However, Villoresi had an auto accident before the race and did not participate in the 1940 Mille Miglia. But then the war came and the car was not raced until 1949 in the Mille Miglia.

After that, the car was used for much less noble actions: the smuggling of precious watches from Switzerland to Italy. Seized by the Swiss police, for many years the Astura remained forgotten in a warehouse, where it was rediscovered by Luciano Nicolis who brought it to Italy and had it restored.

Lancia Astura MM Sport Series IV. Metro.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:41 pm

The Quartzo XKD is indeed not a bad-looking model of a car that's somewhere near the top of most beautiful racers ever IMO. I'd not seen this version before. Really like the Lancia too.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm suprised by how good that Jag looks.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Love the story of the Lancia RT - I'm a bit of a Villoresi fan, so it's my pick of the last few by far! (I know I'll be sent to sit in the naughty-corner for not picking the Jag, but hey-ho that's how it goes :D )
Martin

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:31 am

D Type is impressive.
Jeff
ImageImage

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:53 am

Tom wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:41 pm
a car that's somewhere near the top of most beautiful racers ever IMO. I'd not seen this version before. Really like the Lancia too.
I knew you'd like to see the Jag, Tom. I like the lines of the Lancia.
LUW wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:56 pm
I'm suprised by how good that Jag looks.
Tom wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:41 pm
The Quartzo XKD is indeed not a bad-looking model
JSB33 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:31 am
D Type is impressive.
I don't normally buy Quartzo, but I lucked out on this one. As usual, I bought it sight-unseen for only $9.33 including shipping. That's about as inexpensive as it gets for me here. Of course it would be nice to have a thinner windshield, more chrome bits, etc. but I got what I paid for. :|

This is the 1954 Mille Miglia winner modified by Vittorio Jano and driven by Alberto Ascari at 86.77 mph (139.645 km/h).

The 1954 Mille Miglia was held on the public roads of Italy using a route based on a round trip between Brescia and Rome. Drivers did not race against each other, but rather against the clock. The smaller displacement, slower cars started first. Each car number related to their allocated start time. For example, Ascari's car had the number 602, so he would have left Brescia at 6:02 am. The smaller cars in the race had started late in the evening on the previous day.

Ascari’s Lancia suffered a throttle spring return failure, and this was temporarily replaced by a rubber band. :shock: This and other problems started to affect the Lancia, and by the time Ascari reached Florence, he had had enough and wanted to retire from the event. But after a long stop for repairs, he was persuaded to continue.

Lancia D24. 1000 Miglia.

Lancia Delta HF Turbo 4WD. Rallye Catalunya - Costa Brava. 1988. Servià Salvador/Sabater Jordi. DNF. Vitesse (Portugal).

RT
Last edited by Featherless_Biped on Tue May 22, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 pm

It's quite hard to find a better rallying Delta than the Vitesse. Not that it's so good (it's a 1980s casting) but it's a 'narrow' version (HF4WD) and there's no competition. I feel that the Ixo Integrale (wide body) isn't that good. Only the HPI is really good, and that's become hard to find. My Kyosho D'nanos are road cars and the shape is good but there's no interior. I have a couple of Vitesses too and they're not going anywhere for now.
The D24 is really nice. I could see that here too.