Cry for help!

Jean B.

Cry for help!

Post by Jean B. » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:29 am

Hello guys, I guess I need your help! I've been asked to build a race car :shock: , and you know that you could also ask a sea-dog to dance cha-cha. However, I'd like to inform the interested person about the availability of an appropriate model, at least. The subject is

BMW ADAC Formel Junior - Team Abt Motorsport - Fahrzeug Abt Formel junior, Ralf Schumacher 1993

Does anyone of you know whether a 1/43 model of this one exists, or any similar type? Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Alex_W

Re: Cry for help!

Post by Alex_W » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:04 pm

Jean B. wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:29 am
Hello guys, I guess I need your help! I've been asked to build a race car :shock: , and you know that you could also ask a sea-dog to dance cha-cha. However, I'd like to inform the interested person about the availability of an appropriate model, at least. The subject is

BMW ADAC Formel Junior - Team Abt Motorsport - Fahrzeug Abt Formel junior, Ralf Schumacher 1993

Does anyone of you know whether a 1/43 model of this one exists, or any similar type? Thanks a lot for your help in advance!
If I were on the hook for this build (I'm glad I'm not) I would probably start with a 1990's era Reynard F3 car. Minichamps made some in diecast:

I know you prefer white metal, but these are close enough in shape that a bit of grinding/filing and putty should produce a good result. If you find two of them the front wheels/tires may work for all four corners of the Formula Junior. I'm sure the wings and suspension will be no problem for you to scratch build (or wheels and tires, if need be).

I see some for $80-$90 US on ebay

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:16 pm

While the shape of the Formula Junior and Formula 3 cars is similar, I think the Formula Junior cars would be smaller (shorter in length, width and possibly height).

Formula Junior was a feeder series for F3. While the F3 cars ran 2 litre engines, I suspect Formula Junior ran smaller 1.6 litre engines. You probably need to google the race regulations for the cars to understand if they were similar or not.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:42 pm

Jager wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:16 pm
While the shape of the Formula Junior and Formula 3 cars is similar, I think the Formula Junior cars would be smaller (shorter in length, width and possibly height).

Formula Junior was a feeder series for F3. While the F3 cars ran 2 litre engines, I suspect Formula Junior ran smaller 1.6 litre engines. You probably need to google the race regulations for the cars to understand if they were similar or not.
They can't be too much smaller and still fit the driver, can they? I mean the same drivers participated in both series. I think the idea of searching the reg's is a good one. These builders weren't flush with money so I'm betting there is a lot of parts that cross over. A 1.6 and a 2.0 would probably use the same block. right? Wheelbase is an easy fix, height has to do with the rear wing, which needs to be scratch built anyway. I suspect width is determined by the wheels, not the body. But I'm just a loudmouth Yankee, so what do I know? ;)

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:00 am

Alex_W wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:42 pm
They can't be too much smaller and still fit the driver, can they? I mean the same drivers participated in both series.
Generally ever category of open wheel racing is a step up from the next in terms of size and power.

Go karts lead to Formula Ford
Formula Ford leads to Formula Junior (or these days F4)
F4 leads to F3/GP3
F3 to GP2
GP2 to F1

(Unless your name is Max Verstappen then you just go from Step 1 to Step 5 and skip everything in between.

Here's an interesting size comparison of current F1 and GP3 cars.

Same drivers, the only difference is 2 or 3 years experience (and maybe $20million in personal sponsorship).
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:23 pm

Yeah. Modern F1 cars are huge.

From what I've found, the ADAC uses a single chassis manufacturer (BMW since 2000) and a modified motorcycle engine.

The shape looks close on the F3 car, though it might make a model that is slightly over-scale if you are correct about the size difference.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Dear Alex, dear Ian: Thank you so much for your kind help, I knew I could rely on you :P I would've had no idea only for what I should look for... So I could inform my (not-yet) customer about what he should be aware of :) By the way, your posts are quite interesting, even for me :oops: Perhaps I'll be an expert for race cars, too, sometime :lol:

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:38 pm

Jean B. wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:05 pm
Dear Alex, dear Ian: Thank you so much for your kind help, I knew I could rely on you :P I would've had no idea only for what I should look for... So I could inform my (not-yet) customer about what he should be aware of :) By the way, your posts are quite interesting, even for me :oops: Perhaps I'll be an expert for race cars, too, sometime :lol:
You're welcome. If you decide to proceed with the build, let me know. I know a few places that you can contact to get custom decals printed.