The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Jager

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by Jager » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:16 am

JSB33 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:09 am
I don't know why but it always strikes me as off that someone would use a open car for such a journey. Not just this type of racing but endurance racing as well. I guess i am looking at it from a comfort rather than speed context.
Like Jerry said, this is a car I have never seen before, nice find.
These were the days before air-conditioning and climate control. If I was racing through the Mexican summer, I think I'd rather be in an open car with the wind in my hair than sweating buckets in a closed car with little ventilation.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:15 am

Yep. I think for what everybody at the time thought about what was the Mexican climate and how much pilot safety was (not?) important, an open-top car would be a logical choice.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 pm

You can jump from an open car faster than a closed car if its headed over a cliff. :D. Open cars were generally lighter and therefore faster. No wind in the hair motoring, crash helmets were required. More like baking your brain in a shell in that hot sun. Racers were tougher then. :)
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:35 am

Porsche 911 Carerra RSR (2.8) - 1973 Targa Florio - Pucci - 6th overall, 4th in class - Minichamps 430736907

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:34 am

A Martini RSR is always going to be popular around here. The clean and classy livery fits the shape like a glove.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:37 am

I could see that in my collection easily. Fab.

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am

reeft1 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:35 am
Porsche 911 Carerra RSR (2.8) - 1973 Targa Florio - Pucci - 6th overall, 4th in class - Minichamps 430736907

I wouldnt mind the #107 RSR either , even though the 6th place car wasnt an RSR :D The Pucci/Stekkonig Porsche RSR was written off in practice when the car t-boned a tree and it never started the race. The car that did start was a spare 911S that was rebuilt using any mechanical and salvagable parts from the wrecked RSR . It wasnt even registered to be in the race but Porsche got away with it because Giulio Pucci was effectively, local royalty .

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche............For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Interesting history! And thats a proper prang!

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:03 pm

reeft1 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:18 pm
Interesting history! And thats a proper prang!
Yep , Pucci certainly made a mess of it . Apparantly the roads of the Targa cir­cuit were only closed on race day and dur­ing prac­tice days they re­mained open, which meant driv­ers com­ing around a cor­ner at high speed could find basically anything in front of them in the road. On the day be­fore the race, the #107 Porsche RSR came flat-out around the cor­ner , only to see that lo­cals had dragged ta­bles and chairs into the road and were hav­ing their breakfast as the cars went by. Its speed, and the line it had taken out of the cor­ner, meant the 911 was head­ing straight for these people , so Pucci threw the car into a slide and T-boned a tree. The car was destroyed but the spectators were unhurt ;)
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche............For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person