Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Alfaholic

Re: Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Post by Alfaholic »

Now we're back on track, much prettier than the Aston :lol:

I cannot begin to imagine what it was like to drive this car (or even be a passenger). I have read a little bit about Mr DePalma and wouldn't mind having one of his cars in my collection.

Fantastic addition Mr Mille ;)
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager »

Despite the labelling issues on tghe box, Brumm did some really nice early race cars that have so far been ignored by all other model manufacturers. I wonder if Spark or someone else will model these in the future.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:19 am
Imagining taking four spare tyres for your modern F1 car and changing a flat somewhere on the track... a nice reminder of different times and a pretty good model too. I would love to see a 'post race' version.
Flats must have been quite a problem then. I can't remember the last time I had one, and of course, new cars aren't even equipped with spares now. A 'post race' version would be welcome for this and many others. (I wonder how many spares would be on the car after the race.)
oldirish33 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:18 pm
Those were magnificent machines driven by real men and brave riding mechanics.
Alfaholic wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:29 pm
I cannot begin to imagine what it was like to drive this car (or even be a passenger).
The drivers often got all the credit, but the mechanic on board had the hardest and most dangerous job, I think. Check out Henry Ford's mechanic working on the engine en route...

Jager wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:35 am
Brumm did some really nice early race cars that have so far been ignored by all other model manufacturers. I wonder if Spark or someone else will model these in the future.
I would welcome efforts by Spark or several other manufacturers, but I think the interest in these antique cars is pretty thin. Nevertheless, I am considering beginning a new thread for these early models. The history of design development in the 19th Century is pretty interesting.
Alfaholic wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:29 pm
Fantastic addition Mr Mille ;)
Un uh. :mrgreen: So now you must take my first born. :lol:

Now I don't know much about Richard Petty, but here you see "The King" with his iconic #43 as well as his iconic hat, sunglasses, belt buckle, and mustache.

I also don't know much about NASCAR, but if I collect only one or two NASCAR models, the #43 Superbird is one to have.

1970 Plymouth Superbird. Racing Champions.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom »

I agree completely. That is one OTT racer.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Probably my all time favorite NASCAR racer, good looking model!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Coolness.
Jeff

Featherless_Biped

Thanks for interest, guys. Your appreciation for this car/model is greater than mine. :o

There seems to be some confusion about this next model. Brumm says it competed in the 1938 Tripoli G.P. But the #44 in that race was a Mercedes. :? The winner was Achille Varzi in #10, a 8CTF Maserati. There was another 8CTF driven by Carlo Felice Trossi, which was #28.

The 8CTF was Maserati’s challenge to the all-conquering dominance of Germany on the Grand Prix scene of the thirties. The unpretentious 8CTF was a very fast car in 1938. This was demonstrated in its first outing, at Tripoli, when Count Felice Trossi put up a 131.2 mph lap in the display car and took the lead on Lap 9 only to retire soon after with transmission problems.

Maserati 8CTF. 1938. Brumm.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks MUCH better than the average Brumm! I have a soft spot for pre-war GP cars and I had a Matchbox Maserati 4CLT as a kid that I loved. It might have a dubious claimed history but if I found one I might not be able to resist...

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

I think you need testicles the size of space hoppers to drive one of those. Left arm may get a tad warm as well. Looks very good.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

Not the first time model numbers don’t match the event - a nightmare for older cars like this one. Still the Maserati is a real treat.
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager »

Alfaholic wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:08 pm
Not the first time model numbers don’t match the event - a nightmare for older cars like this one. Still the Maserati is a real treat.
Brumm can turn out some nice cars when they want to, but in the internet age sloppy research is no longer acceptable.

The closest match I could find was a #44 Maserati 4CLT/48 entered in the 1951 Spanish Grand Prix.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/362680576219896757/

Featherless_Biped

Thanks for your comments, gentlemen. :)

My first and only Audi Quattro Sport:

Walter Röhrl & Christian Geistdörfer.
2nd over all – Rallye Automobile de Monte-Carlo 1985.
This model came with "HB International" decals which I have not applied.

Audi Quattro Sport. CMR.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom »

Nice, but it looks 'naked' without the decals...

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

The right color for sure.
Jeff

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Needs the HB decals to transform it from good to great

Featherless_Biped

JSB33 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:51 am
The right color for sure.
Seems appropriate.
Tom wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:55 pm
Nice, but it looks 'naked' without the decals...
reeft1 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:29 am
Needs the HB decals to transform it from good to great
Oh! I have never heard of HB International, so I looked it up. Now I know why the decals were an option. I thought they had something to do with the race. I'll be applying them so that the model is properly "dressed." :)

RT

Featherless_Biped

My collection of race cars dates back to a 1902 model. This one from 2017 is the most recent.

From Wikipedia: "The F1 W08 EQ Power+ took twelve wins (nine for Lewis Hamilton and three for Valtteri Bottas), fifteen pole positions (eleven for Hamilton and four for Bottas), nine fastest laps (seven for Hamilton and two for Bottas) and four 1-2 finishes. The team clinched their fourth consecutive Constructors' Championship at the United States Grand Prix, the 17th race of the season with three races to spare.

The car also showcased near-perfect reliability, recording only 1 retirement all season.

Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power+

RT

Tom

Post by Tom »

These new F1s are not my thing but it's a nice model to document evolution of GP racers. Any idea who made this?

Featherless_Biped

Tom wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:49 am
Any idea who made this?
Not really. All I know is it's "Lewis Hamilton" partwork.

This Ligier JS5 finished fourth in the United States Grand Prix West at Long Beach, Calif., in 1976, piloted by Jacques Laffite. Despite the participation of several famous drivers, the race itself wasn’t particularly notable. However, I think the livery on the Ligier is memorable (not to mention the air box :o ).

Pictures of this model have been shown here at least a couple of times before now, but I thought that some commentary about the Gitanes logo would be of interest.

The Gitanes logo, designed in 1947, depicts a Spanish gypsy dancing with a tambourine. It’s typically blue because…French. (“Matisse blue,” actually.) Gitanes were a preferred brand among French intellectuals such as Camus, Sartre, and Barthes who often were seen with a cigarette in hand for their publicity photos. Gitanes were cool. Picasso, Jim Morrison, J.J. Cale, David Bowie, and John Lennon smoked them even though they weren’t French. Ads were targeted toward women because smoking was seen as sexy. Bardot smoked them. This image is in contrast to the “Marlboro Man” seen in American cigarette ads.

The connection to racing: In an effort to increase awareness, the brand began sponsoring motor-sports such as Formula One racing and the Dakar Rally. These activities helped to attract a wider range of potential customers while avoiding any dilution of the brand image and thus retained the loyalty of its more artistic core customer base.

Ligier JS5. Spark.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom »

I can still smell the typical acrid Gitanes smoke from the 1970s... :cry: it was either that or Gauloises, and both smelled equally bad.

Very nice model!

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Love it

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

Wonderful model and I did enjoy the Gitanes education.
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager »

I have a few Gitanes sponsored cars in my collection, the earliest being a 1973 Lola (which is interesting in itself because it wasn't a French car). I believe with was 3 years before they started sponsoring Formula 1.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Alfaholic wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:56 am
Wonderful model and I did enjoy the Gitanes education.
Same here.
Jeff