Looks great!

reeft1

Re: Upgrading a few cheaper models/part works

Post by reeft1 »

Nice looking racer

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Nice, I did something similar a few years ago. Looks good!

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Just a quick and easy upgrade to the DeAgostini Audi S1, to make it fit in a little better with the Spark S1 E2.
IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
Just needed some black wash and thin marker to fill in the vents at the front and a bit of thin wire coloured red to make the tow rope. Used a bit of black wash on the wheels to make them look a little less plastic. Can't see any pictures of this car with tyre decals so didn't add any this time. The rear bumper just needed the vents filled in red - presumably these are reflectors of some kind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Much better. And you're right, those are reflectors.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Really takes it to another level.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Sometimes the upgrades are so simple you wonder why the original model manufacturer didn't do them. The Audi is a good example of this.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Nice upgrade again

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Jager wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:39 pm
Sometimes the upgrades are so simple you wonder why the original model manufacturer didn't do them. The Audi is a good example of this.
Exactly this!

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

So one of the little projects is to turn the chrome Altaya Chaparral 2D into a proper race liveried vehicle. I'll mostly be concentrating on the outside, maybe a little bit of extra detail on the interior.
20210429_171134.jpg
I've read that brake fluid is a good way to strip paint - any thoughts on whether this would work in the same way for this chrome look?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

StevieSX wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:17 pm
So one of the little projects is to turn the chrome Altaya Chaparral 2D into a proper race liveried vehicle. I'll mostly be concentrating on the outside, maybe a little bit of extra detail on the interior.

20210429_171134.jpg

I've read that brake fluid is a good way to strip paint - any thoughts on whether this would work in the same way for this chrome look?
The best option is to find a shop with a bead blaster and pay them a few bucks to hit it for you.

Barring that, I'd wash it in Dawn, scuff sand it with 320 grit and steel wool, wash it again and use a self-etching primer. Be careful and wear gloves and a mask. Chrome is nasty stuff. I'd also work outdoors.
Last edited by Alex_W on Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Is it really chrome, or chrome simulated paint? If you do use a bead blaster, make sure the media is very fine, or you can pit the paint and possibly the metal since its pretty soft. If you wet sand it with 320, you might see if you can primer the body shell over the "chrome" and not loose too much detail. I am betting the primer will stick to the "chrome" surface with some prep.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I'd be very wary of bead blasting zamac.

Putting it in a plastic bag with some oven cleaner for a few days works well on many finishes.

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Oh just to be clear it's a cheap model - it'll be chrome simulated paint I'd imagine. That's the reason I bought this with the intention of painting it - the Minichamps 2Ds are upwards of £100 delivered and the one Altaya race liveried version on eBay is around £55 whereas this was around £15 from memory and another £10 or so for the decals.
41wu3q8rDQL.jpg

Tom

Post by Tom »

It'll be a huge improvement- those chrome models are horrible but it appears to be a good casting.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Tom wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:44 pm
I'd be very wary of bead blasting zamac.

Putting it in a plastic bag with some oven cleaner for a few days works well on many finishes.
Good point. I know it can be done but you would need someone who knew what they were doing and it might be safer (for the model) to go another route.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

oldirish33 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:29 pm
Is it really chrome, or chrome simulated paint? If you do use a bead blaster, make sure the media is very fine, or you can pit the paint and possibly the metal since its pretty soft. If you wet sand it with 320, you might see if you can primer the body shell over the "chrome" and not loose too much detail. I am betting the primer will stick to the "chrome" surface with some prep.
I think you might be right about it being paint. Looking again at the first photo it appears that there is no plating on the interior of the body. If that is the case it wasn't dipped. If it's painted on, carb cleaner might take it right off. As mentioned, an overnight soak in oven cleaner is worth a try as well.

Heck, if it's paint some Dawn and a scouring pad or steel wool might knock it back enough for primer to stick.

Stewart Frazer

Post by Stewart Frazer »

What is Dawn Alex? Uk equivalent?

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Stewart Frazer wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:22 am
What is Dawn Alex? Uk equivalent?
It's a concentrated dish washing detergent made by Proctor & Gamble. I soak plastic parts in it (full strength) to remove chrome. It may be similar to Fairy in the UK since they are both P&G products. Dawn is available in several versions but the original blue one labeled "Concentrated" is the one I use for parts. Used with water, it will remove wax, grease, oil, etc. from models prior to painting. I always use it on new resin models before I prime them.

It will also strip old wax off of cars prior to polishing and re-waxing.

Stewart Frazer

Post by Stewart Frazer »

Thanks Alex

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Just the extortionately priced helmet decal to finish this one off now (along with gluing Senna in place).
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG
Decal set from eBay, wheels from a '95 showcar Minichamps (so not an overly desirable one) and a racing figure from grandprixmodels sorted this out. Yellow paint on the helmet doesn't look amazing right up close but it'll look fine from normal viewing distance. I tried just using green and blue pen to colour in the usual helmet stripes but that ended up looking pretty bad considering the time it took to do the decals, carve up the racing figure and paint him.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

StevieSX wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:53 pm
Just the extortionately priced helmet decal to finish this one off now (along with gluing Senna in place).

IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG

Decal set from eBay, wheels from a '95 showcar Minichamps (so not an overly desirable one) and a racing figure from grandprixmodels sorted this out. Yellow paint on the helmet doesn't look amazing right up close but it'll look fine from normal viewing distance. I tried just using green and blue pen to colour in the usual helmet stripes but that ended up looking pretty bad considering the time it took to do the decals, carve up the racing figure and paint him.
Nice upgrade. I've done some where I spent more time on the helmet than the car so I feel your pain.

I like this thread a lot. Upgrading/rescuing models is one of my favorite activities in the hobby.

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Simple sponsor upgrade to the Lotus 98T.
IMG_1507.JPG
IMG_1508.JPG
The model itself is fairly nice so a set of eBay decals and we now have a proper JPS 98T.