My Moss Collection

Stewart Frazer

Re: My Moss Collection

Post by Stewart Frazer »

oldirish33 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:23 pm
I have a couple of pieces done by them. Expensive, but a good source for handbuilts of obscure machinery. Your post reminds me I need to update my Moss collection on my website. Nice add!
Thanks Jerry
I just checked out your website and really enjoyed it. I would like to do something similar. Did you set it up yourself or was it a proprietary purchasable package or did someone set it up for you? It works really well.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Stewart Frazer wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:32 am
oldirish33 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:23 pm
I have a couple of pieces done by them. Expensive, but a good source for handbuilts of obscure machinery. Your post reminds me I need to update my Moss collection on my website. Nice add!
Thanks Jerry
I just checked out your website and really enjoyed it. I would like to do something similar. Did you set it up yourself or was it a proprietary purchasable package or did someone set it up for you? It works really well.
Thanks Stewart! I did it myself off a template I got years ago and it evolved as my primitive HTML skills increased . I'm afraid it's not very up to date when it comes to adaptability and graphics handling and such. It has long served a basic purpose, to help me keep track of my collection. :D Happy to pass on what little knowledge I have. Most HTML editing programs have templates. I use coffeecup which has a free editor https://www.coffeecup.com/free-editor/ you might want to check out. I ended up buying their full version, which was pretty inexpensive. I did update my Moss page. ;)
Jerry
Old Irish Racing Collection
https://www.oldirish.com/collection/models2.html

Stewart Frazer

Post by Stewart Frazer »

Thanks Jerry I’m going to try a similar approach using proprietary templates assisted by my son.
In your excellent Moss tribute I noted the Sprinzel Sebring car with interest since I recently put that car into my collection.
How did you build your’s.
However, being picky, the number plate is not quite right.

I think you could do a good diorama of the above featuring his sister and her car.

I was lucky with mine in that I used the Autocult car and merely re-decalled it. However I spent ages fiddling with fonts to try and get the race number right - Leelawadee Bold!

Last edited by Stewart Frazer on Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Great build!

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

That is a Historic Racing Replicas resin model. Looks like the old Mikansue white metal kit (which I also have) may have been its basis. Image has picked up the blue in the numbers, they appear black in natural light. Font as you say is not the correct one, someday may get around to changing. The late John Sprinzel who created these Sebring Sprites was a friend of mine, so I have a small number of them. :D John used PMO 200 on a number of his racing and rally Sprites. A Sir Stirling and Pat Moss Carlson diorama would be a good one. I have in the back of my mind one on the Rome-Liege-Rome rally in 1960 she won with Ann Wisdom in an AH 3000. She was a hell of a driver!

Jerry

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

I was fortunate enough to track John down in Hawaii and to enlist his help building models of his cars from the year he won the British Rally Championship - im aware he drove a really eclectic range of cars from that year (multiple format sprites, mga, austin a35, alfa romeo etc.)

Stewart Frazer

Post by Stewart Frazer »

Thanks Jerry and Paul.
Have you posted any of those Sprinzel models Paul? It would make an interesting thread.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Stewart Frazer wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:34 am
Thanks Jerry and Paul.
Have you posted any of those Sprinzel models Paul? It would make an interesting thread.
I have Stewart but they are buried in my WRC and BRC thread. Its probably easier to see them here along with the back story and the research I did on each year since the inception of the British Rally Championship in 1958 all the way through the current year with the assistance of a number of Rally industry stalwarts over recent years.

https://www.diecastrallymodels.com/t610 ... collection

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

reeft1 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:18 am
Stewart Frazer wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:34 am
Thanks Jerry and Paul.
I have Stewart but they are buried in my WRC and BRC thread. Its probably easier to see them here along with the back story and the research I did on each year since the inception of the British Rally Championship in 1958 all the way through the current year with the assistance of a number of Rally industry stalwarts over recent years.

https://www.diecastrallymodels.com/t610 ... collection
Super stuff Paul! John was a great guy and had a mind like a steel trap to the end. When he was no longer able to travel off Molokai he especially liked correspondence from enthusiasts, helping with projects such as yours. I think he was always a bit humbled by the attention and that anyone still cared.
Jerry

Stewart Frazer

Post by Stewart Frazer »

Just arrived. An interesting Spark Lotus 18-21 model that Stirling didn’t race at Monza since the embryonic Climax V8 engine was playing up in practise and he took up the generous offer from Innes Ireland and Colin Chapman to race the works 21 car, which retired with a failed wheel bearing.
I believe that this is the same V8 car, albeit in UDT colours, that he crashed disastrously at Goodwood in 1962.
I’m toying with the idea that I could re-decal it to become the car that he raced at Heysel earlier in 1962 but am not sure if the bodywork is the same. See below.

I also intend to build the 2.5 Litre Rob Walker Lotus 21 that he successfully raced in the Tasman series early in 1962 and was being shipped home when his racing career ended.

Tom

Post by Tom »

What a beauty!

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Stewart,

My Stirling Moss book he wrote with Doug Nye on the cars he raced, indicates he ran the 18/21 V8 at Brussels in Rob Walker colors and in UDT-Laystall colors in non-championship races at Snetterton and Goodwood (where he crashed). I assume there were no major changes to bodywork for the races run in the V8 special, other than the bubble over the engine? The 21 on arrival from Australia was to be fitted with the V8 and used until they got the 24. Nice looking model. I wonder if they will produce in UDT livery?
Jerry

Stewart Frazer

Post by Stewart Frazer »

oldirish33 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:56 pm
Stewart,

My Stirling Moss book he wrote with Doug Nye on the cars he raced, indicates he ran the 18/21 V8 at Brussels in Rob Walker colors and in UDT-Laystall colors in non-championship races at Snetterton and Goodwood (where he crashed). I assume there were no major changes to bodywork for the races run in the V8 special, other than the bubble over the engine? The 21 on arrival from Australia was to be fitted with the V8 and used until they got the 24. Nice looking model. I wonder if they will produce in UDT livery?
Jerry,
My Hysel photo is from that same excellent book.

The photo below shows some relevant models from my collections. From right to left they are…
1961 Walker Lotus 18 Monaco winner (Climax Str 4 FPF engine). SMTS kit built by myself.
1962 Walker Lotus 18-21 Monza practise car (Climax V8 FWMV engine). Spark S7448.
1962 Walker/Works Lotus 21 Monza race car (Climax Str 4 FPF engine) SMTS kit built by Rodney Rawlings. Combined team colours.
1962 Walker Lotus 21 Tasman Series (Climax Str 4 FPF 2.5 Litre engine). Model shown is actually the 1961 USA winner. I’ll use the same SMTS kit #7 in Walker colours.
1962 Walker/UDT Goodwood car (Climax V8 FWMV engine). SMTS kit built by RR.

I can’t convert the Spark car into the Heysel car since the latter had the pukka rear bodywork rather than the jury rigged arrangement for Monza as the photo below shows.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Nice selection of Moss Lotus' or is that Loti? :D. Do you know if anyone has made the Ferguson he drove in late 1961 or early 62?
Jerry

Stewart Frazer

Post by Stewart Frazer »

This is in my collection. It’s by Auto Replicas of the 1962 Oulton Park winner, the only ever F1 4WD winner.

SMTS do a kit. This is on eBay now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28433390764 ... SwqbVgyHMP

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Thanks for the info Stewart! Sometime around 1984, the car was on loan to the Ulster Transport Museum outside Belfast and saw it there. May have to consider the SMTS kit.

I think Marshall at CMA models might still have some signed Moss plates if interested. https://www.cmamodels.com/index.php I have bought some that I have put with some of my Moss models. They were reasonably priced.

Jerry

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Cracking F2 cars

Tom

Post by Tom »

All those are amazing. Lotus is by far my favourite classic F1 team.

Stewart Frazer

Post by Stewart Frazer »

oldirish33 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:56 am
Thanks for the info Stewart! Sometime around 1984, the car was on loan to the Ulster Transport Museum outside Belfast and saw it there. May have to consider the SMTS kit.

I think Marshall at CMA models might still have some signed Moss plates if interested. https://www.cmamodels.com/index.php I have bought some that I have put with some of my Moss models. They were reasonably priced.

This is my signed plate on top of the Moss cabinet. My friend Rodney Rawlings had built a model for Stirling which was much appreciated.

Rodney arranged for me to send a plaque to him which was signed and returned to me in just a few days. Rodney also built me the same SMTS XK120 to enhance my collection.

TR Rodders

Post by TR Rodders »

Sorry Stewart, the XK120 is an AMR not an inferior SMTS.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

TR Rodders wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:07 pm
Sorry Stewart, the XK120 is an AMR not an inferior SMTS.
I don’t mind what it is - looks ace

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Moss was/is a legend. Someone held in the highest esteem by the entire F1 community. When someone as legendary as Fangio says he is one of the greatest drivers ever, you’d be a fool not to listen.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

My favourite story about Moss is a bit of a polarising one but for me, just increased my admiration of the man.

When rumours/pictures of FIA chief (Max Mosley) started circulating of him in Nazi uniform with prostitutes, the press rushed to interview Moss because of his religious background. Moss was asked how he felt about the pictures. Some people would have gone in all guns blazing. Moss, who probably spoke to people behind the scenes to express his disgust/horror, refused to be baited. His response? “I couldn’t possibly comment old boy. I’ve never tried it myself”

Killed the story immediately and Max left stage left shortly afterwards.

Legend.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Hi Stewart - i've just PM'd you - i'm selling off a couple of Moss cars. I suspect you have them all aready, but thought i'd let you know in case they can fill any gaps in your collection.

Kind regards

Paul