Page 5 of 8

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 am
by Alfaholic
That's a great model, bumpers or no bumpers!

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:39 am
by Jager
That looks so much more 'purposeful' without the bumpers.

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:44 pm
by Tom
Fab model.

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:29 am
by reeft1
51 Lancia Aurelia B20 Ser 1 Bracco Mille Miglia Partswork 2nd overall, 1st in class
Image
52 Lancia Auerlia B20 Ser 2 Super Charged Maglioli Carerra Panamericana Spark S2442 4th overall
Image
54 Jaguar C Type Ibarra Carerra Panamericana Brumm R547 DNF
Image
71 Porsche 908/3 Rear Fins Elford Targa Florio Best 9334 39th overall, 3rd in class
Image

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:35 am
by Alfaholic
To quote some dodgy movie - you had me at Aurelia... :lol: :lol:

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:38 am
by reeft1
Alfaholic wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:35 am
To quote some dodgy movie - you had me at Aurelia... :lol: :lol:
Figured i might have lol!

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:16 am
by Tom
All those are ace, with only lack of funds and space preventing me from starting a collection of Carrera Panamericana models...

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 am
by JSB33
Much like Tom, I would love to be able to start a TF wing of my collection. I actually think I would rather collect cars from that race than LM.

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:42 am
by Featherless_Biped
Carrera Panamericana models are so tempting. I don't have even one, but one is on its way here. :)
I would rather collect cars from that race than from LM.

RT

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:01 am
by Jager
The Best 908's are really nicely done and you can't go wrong if you get one with a Martini livery.
JSB33 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 am
Much like Tom, I would love to be able to start a TF wing of my collection. I actually think I would rather collect cars from that race than LM.
There's no doubt there were some cool cars at the Targa Florio, but for the most part many of the Le Mans cars competed at the Targa Florio as well. In addition, the race lost its international ststus in 1973 and ceased in 1977, so your collection wouldn't have any of the cars from the last 50 years.
Featherless_Biped wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:42 am
Carrera Panamericana models are so tempting. I don't have even one, but one is on its way here. :)
I would rather collect cars from that race than from LM.

RT
The Carrera Panamericana is even more limited than the Targa Florio, being run only for five consecutive years from 1950 to 1954. Again, many of the Carrera Panamericana cars also raced at Le Mans (ie both the Jaguar and Lancia above are also Le Mans cars), but personally I'd want to collect cars from a wider period of history than just 5 years in the 50's.

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:05 am
by JSB33
Jager wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:01 am
JSB33 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 am
Much like Tom, I would love to be able to start a TF wing of my collection. I actually think I would rather collect cars from that race than LM.
There's no doubt there were some cool cars at the Targa Florio, but for the most part many of the Le Mans cars competed at the Targa Florio as well. In addition, the race lost its international ststus in 1973 and ceased in 1977, so your collection wouldn't have any of the cars from the last 50 years.

Works for me.

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 am
by reeft1
JSB33 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:05 am
Jager wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:01 am
JSB33 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 am
Much like Tom, I would love to be able to start a TF wing of my collection. I actually think I would rather collect cars from that race than LM.
There's no doubt there were some cool cars at the Targa Florio, but for the most part many of the Le Mans cars competed at the Targa Florio as well. In addition, the race lost its international ststus in 1973 and ceased in 1977, so your collection wouldn't have any of the cars from the last 50 years.

Works for me.
x 2 - having an upper limit on a collection or even a narrow window stops (to a small degree) things getting completely out of hand like it has with my WRC collection.....

These next 2 will undoubtedly cause some forum members to opine negatively as these are scratch builds by which i mean that the "buck" from which these were cast will have been carved from wood or similar and as such they cannot be compared to the superb detail that is available on items such as Spark models. Nevertheless, i love them for their quirkiness and uniqueness.

1953 Carerra Panamericana - Fano Bush Glasspar Mercury - OTL
Image
1953 Carerra Panamericana - Adolf Brudes Borgward Hansa 1500 RS - DNF
Image

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:04 am
by JSB33
Very nice, especially the Glasspar.

I also have a carved wooden model that I cherish.
Image

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:03 pm
by Alfaholic
As you say, quirky and unique, and all the better for that. The Mercury’s lines are the more cohesive to me.

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:31 am
by Jager
The Mercury is quite impressive give the manufacturing method.

You probably have to be German to really appreciate the Borgward Hansa :D .

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:18 pm
by oldirish33
reeft1 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 am

These next 2 will undoubtedly cause some forum members to opine negatively as these are scratch builds by which i mean that the "buck" from which these were cast will have been carved from wood or similar and as such they cannot be compared to the superb detail that is available on items such as Spark models. Nevertheless, i love them for their quirkiness and uniqueness.
Ah, I see you have discovered Stripped Pine. I have a couple pieces of Brian's work in my collection. I enjoy his work, the hand made look and feel and he chooses subjects that are not usually modeled. Here is an example, a Nash-Healey spider on the 1953 Mille Miglia. Dont bid on the Jaguar he currently has up for auction! :D

Image

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:26 pm
by reeft1
oldirish33 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:18 pm
reeft1 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 am

These next 2 will undoubtedly cause some forum members to opine negatively as these are scratch builds by which i mean that the "buck" from which these were cast will have been carved from wood or similar and as such they cannot be compared to the superb detail that is available on items such as Spark models. Nevertheless, i love them for their quirkiness and uniqueness.
Ah, I see you have discovered Stripped Pine. I have a couple pieces of Brian's work in my collection. I enjoy his work, the hand made look and feel and he chooses subjects that are not usually modeled. Here is an example, a Nash-Healey spider on the 1953 Mille Miglia. Dont bid on the Jaguar he currently has up for auction! :D

Image
It's already in my watch list lol

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm
by oldirish33
reeft1 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:26 pm
[It's already in my watch list lol
I won't bid then. :D

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:38 am
by reeft1
50 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Freccia D'oro Bonetto Carerra Panamericana Jolly Model JL090 8th overall
Image

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:04 am
by JSB33
It that made from wood?

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 am
by reeft1
JSB33 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:04 am
It that made from wood?

Not this one - resin.

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:51 am
by GBOAC002
That's one helluva forward blind spot!

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:34 pm
by reeft1
I’ve been thinking i might rework the front windscreen for exactly that reason.

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:17 pm
by reeft1
Jaguar XK120 Special - Bush - 1954 Carerra Panamericana - DNF - Code 3 scratch build
Image