I bet you never seen these before!

LUW

I bet you never seen these before!

Post by LUW » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:18 am

All right, maybe a few of you might have seen a Lancia Delta HF Integrale (1987) and a 911 Carrera RSR 2.7 (1973) before, but NEVER with these specific war paint schemes.

A few years after I got really serious about diecast, my son Rafael was born. So when he had his 1st birthday, I bought a Del Prado pw Delta and had it customized in one of my favorite racing liveries - the blue and yellow of Sunoco. As you can see, the decals don't look very good right now, but 9 years ago they were much crispier Image.

For Rafael’s birthday in the next year, I bought a RSR from HighSpeed and had it customized in another of my favorite liveries: Jägermeister. For both cars he was the pilot, and the license plate on the RSR is from the city he was born.

The guy who made them for me incorporated a few car-related brands into the paint scheme, and both were from a very (VERY!) famous and successful diecast racing team of the early 2000's, Mini.Werner Racing. The team had terrific (outstanding, in fact!) results in diecast racing at the time, truly top dogs, but a few years ago the team retired.

Now 10 years old, with only about 4.2% body fat (though you won't believe that if you knew how much he eats), unfortunately Rafael is normal and not a car nut Image. Yes, against my wife's wishes, I did put Castor oil in his formula when he was a baby but it didn’t seem to work. These cars are technically and legally his, but I'm their custodian, so currently they are looked after and (proudly!) displayed in my office. The best that I can manage for now is get him to race against me in split screen mode in Forza 6 once in a while, but I harbor hope that he will eventually come into the light and understand the truly important things in life, like cycling and cars. And good coffee. He doesn't like coffee. Can you imagine a human being who doesn't like coffee Image? Though his mother loves coffee - she has impecable taste - the not liking cars trait I’m positive he got from her side.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage Image

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Re: I bet you never seen these before!

Post by Jager » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:36 am

Nothing like introducing your son to Jagermeister at an early age :D
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:34 am

I should try Martini... :roll:
Image The Garage Image

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 pm

I'm surprised you didn't get him a Rothmans car too !
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:45 am

At the time, in 1:18, cars in Rothmans livery were pretty hard to come by, so for this project I was more focused in what I could have in the collection. Maybe I would eventually get to a Rothmans car, though the planned car for his 3rd birthday was a Martini car.
But then life got in the way and I pulled out of the diecast collecting business.
Image The Garage Image

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:06 am

Gary found one just like that on ebay for $3 :lol:

Very nice, I hope its something that Rafael looks at these many years from now with a big smile on his face.
Jeff
ImageImage

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:20 am

Do you need to check the hospital records to see if you are the victim of an accidental baby-switch 10 years ago?

Somewhere across town there may be some tea-drinking, golf loving parents who can't work out why their 10 year old son spends his days cycling to motorsport events with a Gaggia strapped to the back of his bike......

Very nice gesture with the Delta and Porsche.
Martin

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am

JSB33 wrote:Gary found one just like that on ebay for $3 :lol:
The worse part? With that man I wouldn't be surprised :roll:. Paying 20 pounds (!!!!) for a 917/30.
I'm still not talking to him.
JSB33 wrote:Very nice, I hope its something that Rafael looks at these many years from now with a big smile on his face.
If he is anything like me, he may not think much of it now, but in some years he will understand how important it is :).
Alfaholic wrote:Do you need to check the hospital records to see if you are the victim of an accidental baby-switch 10 years ago?

Somewhere across town there may be some tea-drinking, golf loving parents who can't work out why their 10 year old son spends his days cycling to motorsport events with a Gaggia strapped to the back of his bike......

Very nice gesture with the Delta and Porsche.
Nah, I was there when he came out. Literally - I was the second person to touch him (not counting the obligatory OB in the room) and he then didn't leave my sights all the time we were in the hospital. Professional perks ;). And the other kid? Definitively wouldn't be mine - a Gaggia?!? Mine would carry a La Marzocco or at least an ECM :D.
Image The Garage Image