2011 Le Mans

Jager

2011 Le Mans

Post by Jager » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Inspired by the "Holy Moly" thread, I thought I dig out and photograph a few of my Le Mans grids on my dining table. As a start, here's 30 cars from the 2011 Le Mans in finishing order. Most of the models are from Spark, with a couple of IXO Oreca's, while the Ferrari 458's are from Fujimi.

Multiply this by 85 races and you start to get a feel for the size of the collection.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Re: 2011 Le Mans

Post by Tom » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 pm

:shock:
Now that is impressive.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:22 am

Luc is going to have kittens :shock:

Wonderful display Ian - you have hinted at 85 other races, which one will be next?
Martin

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:18 am

Small kittens.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage Image

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

911RSR

Post by 911RSR » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:22 am

Lovely to see the iBird! That is definitely a model I failed to get in time and still regret.

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:21 am

Impressive to say the least, Ian. It takes a lot of effort, research and funds to get all these models, but also a lot of time to put them all together out of their boxes for a group picture like this, so thank you for that.

They look great together (I believe you already know that). I always say that collecting Le Mans cars is a much more difficult task than collecting other subjects. 50-60 different cars each year is enough food for many collectors feeding habits. For instance, large Formula 1 collections usually have only one car per team per year. Since each team usually has 2 equal cars, most collectors don't feel the need to have both cars, that gives us only 10-15 cars per year, if not less due to rarity and also to many cars that have never been modeled until today, just like other racing series.

Every time I see collections with this caliber I start leaning towards having more philosophical thoughts around what's the purpose and why we do this. And at the same time I tend to think less about simply hunting more models.

Do you plan to have every single car that has ever been released, Ian? Maybe not today, not tomorrow, and not even in the next few years... but perhaps at some point in the long term? Or do you feel it's likely that you end up considering the idea of downsizing it?

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 pm
:shock:
Now that is impressive.
Thanks Tom....that was the idea.
Alfaholic wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:22 am

Wonderful display Ian - you have hinted at 85 other races, which one will be next?
I'm thinking of something in the 1970's next Martin. But for the moment Julie-Ann wants her dining room table back, so it might have to wait until next weekend :D .
LUW wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:18 am
Small kittens.
Your a hard man to please Luc :D .
911RSR wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:22 am
Lovely to see the iBird! That is definitely a model I failed to get in time and still regret.
I love the art cars, so this one was always coming to my colection. In fact, I should do a group shot of all my art cars as well.
Serafa wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:21 am
Impressive to say the least, Ian. It takes a lot of effort, research and funds to get all these models, but also a lot of time to put them all together out of their boxes for a group picture like this, so thank you for that.

They look great together (I believe you already know that). I always say that collecting Le Mans cars is a much more difficult task than collecting other subjects. 50-60 different cars each year is enough food for many collectors feeding habits. For instance, large Formula 1 collections usually have only one car per team per year. Since each team usually has 2 equal cars, most collectors don't feel the need to have both cars, that gives us only 10-15 cars per year, if not less due to rarity and also to many cars that have never been modeled until today, just like other racing series.

Every time I see collections with this caliber I start leaning towards having more philosophical thoughts around what's the purpose and why we do this. And at the same time I tend to think less about simply hunting more models.

Do you plan to have every single car that has ever been released, Ian? Maybe not today, not tomorrow, and not even in the next few years... but perhaps at some point in the long term? Or do you feel it's likely that you end up considering the idea of downsizing it?
Thanks Bruno, I think you captured my feelings perfectly. I'd love to be able to display all my cars like this on a permanent basis, but for the moment that's not possible. While it was a bit of effort to get them all out, it was definitely worthwhile and something I think I should do more often.

Like you, I have various philosophical thoughts from time to time. I started out in the early 90's just wanting to collect the winners, expanded that to 3 cars per year, then 5 cars per year, then 10 car per year. At one point I was thinking about collecting EVERY LE Mans car, but the practicality of that idea meant it didn't last very long. Then when I came home from Dubai I thought about downsizing the collection to 15 cars per year and sold off a few pieces, but since acquiring a significant number of cars from my friend Tim I've given up on the downsizing idea for now. Our longer term plan is to move from a house to an apartment, so that may result in the collection being culled in a few years time, but for now I'll continue to enjoy it.

johann.nunweiller

Post by johann.nunweiller » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:13 am

Beautiful line up!

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:48 am

Jager wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm
LUW wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:18 am
Small kittens.
Your a hard man to please Luc :D .
Oh, don't get me wrong: LM cars are just like pizza - there's no such thing as bad pizza, just not enough pizza :D. I just don't do the must-complete-the-list thing anymore.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage Image

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:53 am

Jager wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm
Alfaholic wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:22 am

I'm thinking of something in the 1970's next Martin. But for the moment Julie-Ann wants her dining room table back, so it might have to wait until next weekend :D .
Ha ha - I did show Kerrin these photos and she assumed you must have a massive coffee table - you wouldn’t have used the dining table surely :lol:
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:55 am

johann.nunweiller wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:13 am
Beautiful line up!
Thanks Johann !
LUW wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:48 am
Oh, don't get me wrong: LM cars are just like pizza - there's no such thing as bad pizza, just not enough pizza :D. I just don't do the must-complete-the-list thing anymore.
Fully agree Luc - as I said above, I decide long ago that trying to complete every grid would be futile. Remember though, this is actually only half the grid, and every car here is in the collection for a reason. :D .
Alfaholic wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:53 am
Ha ha - I did show Kerrin these photos and she assumed you must have a massive coffee table - you wouldn’t have used the dining table surely :lol:
Actually I photographed the cars on a 1.2m piece of black glass and the dining table was the only thing long enough to hold the glass in a well lit area suitable for photographs. The car are now back in the display cabinet and storage, so peace has returned to the household.

Stu935

Post by Stu935 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 am

wow stunning collection Ian. I haven't seen a complete display of Le Man race finishes from a single year like this before, truely fantastic.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:03 am

Stu935 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 am
wow stunning collection Ian. I haven't seen a complete display of Le Man race finishes from a single year like this before, truely fantastic.
Thanks Stu. I know there are collectors who have even more cars from a single race than I have, but I agree photographs like this are rare. That was the main motivation for posting it.

JBRedondo

Post by JBRedondo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Ian, I’m speechless :o. This is a very serious project. I was trying to create something similar, 1971 LM lineup and never finished it. Ferraris are the worst to come by as you surely know.
Jerry

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks Jerry, actually I was thinking of 1971 as my next photo essay. As you say, there are a lot of Ferrari's missing, but I think I have 26 or 27 cars in total that I think would look good together.

911RSR

Post by 911RSR » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:29 am

Very sure it will look good. Do you also have the Gulf LangHeck Porsches?? Can't wait :D