Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Featherless_Biped

Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Post by Featherless_Biped » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:40 am

Since many of the photos I have posted here have disappeared (thanks to PhotoBucket :evil: ), I decided to post them again. This time I'm selecting out race cars, hot rods, LSR vehicles into a separate thread. So some pics will be repeats and some will be new acquisitions.

Since I know little about racing and race cars, your back stories and "educational" comments are welcome. :)

Minichamps.

Minichamps.

Metro.

M4.

Bizarre.

RT

Tom

Re: Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Post by Tom » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm

Not a dud amongst them. Excellent picks.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:37 pm

Classic metal! 8-)
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:00 pm

Tom wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm
Not a dud amongst them. Excellent picks.
Thank you, Tom.
LUW wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:37 pm
Classic metal! 8-)
Here's more classics. Some of these are up your alley, Luc.

Universal Hobbies.

1982 Rallye Monte Carlo. Vitesse.

Brumm.

Brumm.

Minichamps.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:28 pm

You have a quattro and a couple of Auto Unions. You officially cannot go wrong from now. :)

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Excellent selections

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:23 pm

I can shed a little light on the rally cars:

The A110 was driven by Jean-Claude Andruet and Patrice Écot in the 1969 Tour de Corse. They led the rally from the start until they crashed out on SS6.

The Quattro was driven by Michele Cinotto and Emilio Radaelli in the 1982 Rallye Monte Carlo. He contested 3 rounds for the Audi works team in 1982 (Monte Carlo being one of the three). He crashed out on SS9.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:19 pm

Alfa's, Alpines and Auto Unions are pretty common with collectors, but your Allard stands out as something different. An unusual colour, great details and interesting subject make it a winner.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:33 pm

Tom wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:28 pm
You officially cannot go wrong from now. :)
You watch, Tom. There's bound to be a few "doorstops" yet to come. :roll:
reeft1 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:00 pm
Excellent selections
Thanks. Some of my selections are based on general historical significance and some selections are just cars I happen to like for one reason or another. :?
dbonser wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:23 pm
I can shed a little light on the rally cars:
Thanks, Douglas. A little background always makes a model more interesting. :)
Jager wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:19 pm
Alfa's, Alpines and Auto Unions are pretty common with collectors, but your Allard stands out as something different. An unusual colour, great details and interesting subject make it a winner.
Thank you, Ian. Here's another that's less common and an interesting subject (but without the great details, however).

Tandem seating with the driver in the rear seat. Belt driven. About 10 hp. The method of changing gear for the two-speed transmission was unusual. The rear driver had to operate a lever which slackened the belt by moving the rear axle forwards and then the passenger had to move the belt between pulleys by means of a separate lever. How the car was driven without a passenger is not known.

Brumm Revival Serie. 1913. Bédélia Cyclecar.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:56 am

I love those early cars with their weird solutions to common problems. I quite like the model too.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:00 am

Happy to help out with the Alfa Romeos....

The Alfetta looks like the Paul Pietsch car from the 1951 German GP - he was a DNF due to an accident.

The 155 is Nicola Larini's 1993 DTM winning car - still the favourite model in my collection as well as being the model that kicked off my addiction
:D

No. 14 is the P2 that Gaston Brilli-Peri took to first place in the 1925 Italian Grand Prix. The car carried the "Quadrifoglio" in a white triangle - when this first appeared on racing Alfa Romeos it was a white diamond, however one "corner" of the diamond was removed following the death of Alfa Corse team driver, Ugo Sivocci, in September 1923.

The 33 SC Turbo was introduced near the end of the Tipo 33's racing life in 1977. The 2.1 litre engine complimented the 3.0 V12 that the car was more regularly seen with. No doubt the Turbo car happened as a result of Autodelta's ongoing development work for the F1 Turbo engine that was first raced in 1983.
Martin

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:10 am

Allard is hot, hot, hot!
Jeff
ImageImage

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:15 am

Tom wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:56 am
I love those early cars with their weird solutions to common problems. I quite like the model too.
Thanks, Tom. Stay tuned. More weirdness to come, but hopefully that can be related to the progression of automotive design. :geek:
Alfaholic wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:00 am
Happy to help out with the Alfa Romeos....
That's great, Martin. :D Forum members have a tremendous amount of racing knowledge (and passion), and I welcome their comments. :P
JSB33 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:10 am
Allard is hot, hot, hot!
I agree, Jeff. I was especially pleased to see one at Hilton Head.

1950 Allard with Ford engine.

The 4.5-Litre model dominated endurance racing in the late '20s.

1928 winner at Le Mans. W. Barnato/B. Rubin

Ixo Le Mans Collection Vintage.

In 2001, Bentley returned to Le Mans after a gap of 68 years. Winner 2001 Le Mans in the closed-cockpit LMGTP class (only two cars entered in this class). Wallace/Leitzinger/van de Poele.

Altaya.

RT

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:28 am

Oh boy...
Where to begin? YOU HAVE A TYP B!!! And from MC! But Brumm's Lucca car looks ok (as long as the car doesn't have wire wheels Brumm seems to make a decent model). The LM cars also look great, specially the Alpine. All in all a great line-up! :trophy:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:24 am

LUW wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:28 am
Brumm's Lucca car looks ok (as long as the car doesn't have wire wheels Brumm seems to make a decent model). The LM cars also look great, specially the Alpine. All in all a great line-up!
Thanks, Luc. Unfortunately true about Brumm models. :( But they often are the sole source for many vintage cars, so I have more Brumms than I would like.

This one was purchased from a fellow Forum member.

1984 DTM. Hans-Joachim Stuck.

AutoArt.

The 57G Tank won the 1936 French Grand Prix, as well as the 1937 24 Hours of Le Mans. Three 57G Tanks were produced. The Le Mans winner, is the only one known to exist now.

The December 1936 issue of Actualite Automobile said:
"Bugatti wins the 24 hours international record and six other international records. Wimille, Williams and Veyron accomplished the feat with a 3-liter 57S (57G) Tank. For the first time on the Montlhery race track, an average speed of 200 km/h was reached for over a 24 hour period.

"And driving at an average of 200 km/h for an hour at Montlhery is already an extraordinary feat. To realize the same average for 24 hours is beyond all superfluous commentary. The three drivers responsible for this success, Wimille, Williams and Veyron, the latter having had a long experience with the tracks, especially at night when the temperatures can get down to 3 degrees C."

Ixo.

RT

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:29 am

That's one of my favorite Ixos.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:42 am

Both look great. One of the most beautiful BMWs in an iconic livery and one of the most distinctive LM racers ever.
Last edited by Tom on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:11 am

The Jager BMW is a bit of a favourite :D .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 am

635 is an absolute classic - brilliant.
Martin

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:45 am

LUW wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:29 am
That's one of my favorite Ixos.
If you've sold your 1:18, you might want to consider getting one like this.
Tom wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:42 am
Both look great. One of the most beautiful BMWs in an iconic livery and one of the most distinctive LM racers ever.
Thanks, Tom. I've even considered buying a street version of the 1:1, but there's a lot of competition. :lol:
Jager wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:11 am
The Jager BMW is a bit of a favourite :D .
I'm wondering why. Do you like orange cars? :lol:
Alfaholic wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 am
635 is an absolute classic - brilliant.
I think that is a good summary. :)

Bugatti and Louis Chiron, Bugatti’s most successful driver, ruled the 1928 season winning most of the events. Bugatti’s latest supercar is named for this driver.

The plinth for this next model says “Grand Prix Sport 1928 – Louis Chiron.” However, this doesn’t agree with the information that I have found for 1928:
Louis Chiron in #24 - Rome Grand Prix Sport in a Type 35C
Louis Chiron in #50 won the Italian Grand Prix in a 37A

I didn’t find a record of Chiron in a #24 Type 35B.

Anyway, the Bugatti Type 35 is regarded by many as one of the most beautiful pre-war racers from the legendary Bugatti Company. The Type 35B was introduced in 1927 and was the final iteration of the Type 35 series. The engine produced an astonishing 138 horsepower, by far the most of the Type 35 series. The 35B could race from 0 to 60 mph in just six seconds and had a top speed of 125 mph (201 km/h).

It was a very modern vehicle fitted with many innovative technological features such as cast-aluminum eight-spoke road wheels with an integral brake drum. This setup simplified the overall design and resulted in the entirety of the wheel mass absorbing and dissipating brake heat. Final iterations of this wheel would even incorporate angled spokes that acted as a fan to laterally blow air on the brake drums when the car was moving.

PW.

For the 1950 Le Mans, Briggs Cunningham had initially hoped to race a coupe with a Cadillac V-8 engine in a modified Ford chassis. But such a hybrid was illegal for Le Mans. To get the hot Cadillac engine, Briggs had to run the Cadillac car as well.

Cadillac offered Cunningham two Series 61 Coupe de Villes for the race. This one was kept in the original stock body style to better represent the company and was known as "Petit Pataud." (translated as something like "Little Clumsy.") The other was extremely modified and was known as “Le Monstre.”

#2 Le Monstre leading #3 Petit Pataud.

Sixty cars faced the starter’s flag. The Caddy faced some formidable opposition from Ferrari, Jaguar, Talbot-Lago, Aston Martin, Nash-Healey, Bentley, Delahaye and Allard.

Averaging 81.5 mph for the 24 hours (only 8 mph less than the winner), this Cadillac Coupe placed 10th (ahead of “Le Monstre”). The American entry had been a popular one at Le Mans, and the Cadillacs finished to a tremendous ovation. The American drivers were toasted in the European press for their “skill, sportsmanship and dauntless good humor.” :?

Vitesse. (A gift from Jeff. :D )

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:51 am

Love 'em both. I'm a huge fan of this generation of Cadillacs (qualifies as an incredibly unlikely racer though) and the Bug is on my extended wish list. Looks somewhat like the car we saw at the Louwman BTW.

LUW

Post by LUW » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Awesome! Both! But of course I would want the Cady first ;).

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:44 am

635 is a beaut

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:20 am

Talk about variety! You cover a lot of ground with that small group of cars.
Jeff
ImageImage