Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Post by JSB33 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:48 am

All theNapier needs is a lid and they can bury someone in it.

908 is wonderful.

Nardi earns a spot in any collection.
Jeff
ImageImage

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Fri May 04, 2018 5:00 pm

LUW wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:31 pm
That is friggin A-W-E-S-O-M-E!
Tom wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:18 am
Simply love that.
Alfaholic wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:31 am
Very nice - I do need that.
JSB33 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:48 am
Nardi earns a spot in any collection.
The Nardi seems to be a winner even though it wasn't a winner on the track.
Jager wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 7:06 pm
Great to see this again RT. The quirky Nardi was one of the cars that got me hooked on Le Mans in he early stages of collecting.
Yes, it's quirky, but it hasn't hooked me on LM. I guess I'm just hooked on quirkiness. :roll: Even though it's red like a lot of race cars, it stands out on the shelf because of the odd design.
JSB33 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:48 am
All theNapier needs is a lid and they can bury someone in it.
:lol:

The next car is not quirky, but I believe it is uncommon.

5 April 1964, Jose Rosinski (Fr) took 4th place in the XXIV Grand Prix de Pau in #10.
The race was on a temporary street circuit of 1.72 mi. (2.76 km), 80 laps for a total distance of 137.2 mi. (220.8 km). Jim Clark was the winner.
Renault Alpine A270. 1964. Formula 2. Eligor/Hachette.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri May 04, 2018 5:15 pm

I don't recall ever seeing this, but it's really nice. A clean, lean shape from before the age of aerodynamics and French racing blue from before the age of liveries. A very pure and basic racer.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Fri May 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:15 pm
A clean, lean shape from before the age of aerodynamics and French racing blue from before the age of liveries. A very pure and basic racer.
Thanks, Tom. I think you have summed it up nicely. :)

Again I am posting a model with a good backstory that I have posted before, in 2013. The PB pictures of the original post are now missing.

The famous Paris-Madrid race of 1903 was a nightmare. According to Wikipedia:

"The race was held on public streets even though the French government was against it, but many small towns wanted the race to pass through them, and many French car manufacturers wanted the race in order to promote their brands. The race was promoted as the biggest race since the invention of the auto, and over 100,000 people assembled in the dark at Versailles at 2:00 a.m. for the start of the race. One hundred seventy cars and 54 motorcycles started in one minute intervals - until the last vehicle at 6:45."

"The soldiers deployed to manage the crowd proved insufficient, and people swarmed the streets. Cars raced at over 140 km/h [87 mph], a speed not reached even by the fastest trains of the time. The race proved to be very difficult for the drivers: the dangers from the crowd added to the thick dust cloud raised by the cars. Outside of the leading positions, the accidents continued throughout the day; cars hit trees and disintegrated, they overturned and caught fire, axles broke and inexperienced drivers crashed on the rough roads. [An] incredible feat was achieved by Marcel Renault, who started in the 60th position but managed to almost reach the race leaders at the control point of Poitiers. Louis Renault reached Bordeaux in first place at noon.... All the drivers were physically exhausted: the cars were heavy, and required a great deal of force to maneuver. Dust made their eyes sore, and many of them had had issues with the engines and burned their hands while fixing them."

"Someone started talking about an accident involving Marcel Renault; with his incredibly fast pace he should have already arrived by that time, but was still missing. News arrived stating that he had an accident at Cohué Vérac. He would die 48 hours later, never regaining consciousness. Porter's Wolseley was destroyed at a rail crossing where the bar was unexpectedly down. The car hit it and overturned, killing his mechanic. Georges Richard hit a tree in Angoulême, trying to avoid a farmer standing in the middle of the road, and news came that in Châtellerault Tourand's Brunhot had hit spectators while avoiding a child who crossed the road. A soldier named Dupuy intervened and saved the kid, but was killed and the car lost control killing a spectator. Further south another car left the road and went into a group of spectators. Two people were said to be killed in the crowd."

Marcel Renault, one of the brothers who founded the Renault company, drove this car, #63. He died racing in the Paris-Madrid race, apparently driving this vehicle with excessive dust impairing visibility.

"Overall, half the cars had crashed or retired, and at least twelve people were presumed dead, and over 100 wounded. The actual count was lower, with eight people dead, three spectators and five racers."

Number 63, Marcel Renault's car.

"The French Parliament reacted strongly to the news of the numerous accidents. An emergency Council of Ministers was called and the officers were forced to shut down the race in Bordeaux, transfer the cars to Spanish territory and restart from the border to Madrid. The Spanish government denied permission for this, and the race was declared officially over in Bordeaux."[/list]

"The race was called off, and by order of the French Government the cars were impounded and towed to the rail station by horses and transported to Paris by train. Newspapers and experts declared the "death of sport racing". It was a common thought that no other races would be allowed, and for many years it was true. There would not be a race on public streets until the 1927 Mille Miglia."

Renault-Frères rally car. Brumm.

RT

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Quirky cool! :geek:
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 pm

A lovely part of motor racing history. We can sometimes be critical of Brumm, but they did a nice job on this and to date no one else has modelled these sort of cars.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat May 05, 2018 2:26 am

And Brumm was the only one to actually make them. I quite like the model, one of the better efforts in this series.

Crowd control is still a problem today, even for the Tour de France.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Sat May 05, 2018 3:22 am

Th Renault is nice RT, but that little Alpine is an absolute Gem!
Martin

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Sun May 06, 2018 9:09 am

LUW wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 pm
Quirky cool!
I am pleased that you appreciate my idiosyncratic choices in models. :)
Jager wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 pm
We can sometimes be critical of Brumm, but they did a nice job on this and to date no one else has modelled these sort of cars.
Tom wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 2:26 am
And Brumm was the only one to actually make them. I quite like the model, one of the better efforts in this series.
I still wish some of these old timers were available with the details afforded by Spark, etc.
Tom wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 2:26 am
Crowd control is still a problem today, even for the Tour de France.
Reminds me of the Cinco de Mayo parade I watched yesterday. These days, crowds along parade routes can't seem to stay off the road. :evil:
Alfaholic wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:22 am
Th Renault is nice RT, but that little Alpine is an absolute Gem!
Thanks, Martin. I agree on both counts.

Terigi/Berti, 4th in #82. 1948 Mille Migla. Fiat engine. "Quirky cool" headlight/grille. :P

Stanguellini S1100 Sport. Starline/1000 Miglia.

1951 24 hr of Le Mans. José Froilan Gonzalez (RA)/Onofre Marion (RA). DNF due to radiator problem.

Talbot-Lago T26 GS. Bizarre.

RT

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun May 06, 2018 10:19 am

Ah, I get it now: your collection theme is quirky cool cars :lol:
I would love both.

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun May 06, 2018 11:11 am

I echo Luc's comments. Stanguellini's my favourite.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon May 07, 2018 4:46 am

I've always thought those Talbot Lagos from Bizarre had some great detail. As a result I've got several in my collection.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Mon May 07, 2018 5:22 pm

LUW wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:19 am
Ah, I get it now: your collection theme is quirky cool cars
I would love both.
Tom wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:11 am
I echo Luc's comments. Stanguellini's my favourite.
OK, you guys are on to me. Today's post sort of supports your observation. ;)
Jager wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:46 am
I've always thought those Talbot Lagos from Bizarre had some great detail. As a result I've got several in my collection.
The detail is superb. However, I'm not aware of any others.

What this forum needs is a "funny car" dragster. :mrgreen:

Wikipedia explains: "Funny Car is a type of drag racing vehicle and a specific racing class in organized drag racing. Funny cars are characterized by having tilt-up fiberglass or carbon fiber automotive bodies over a custom-fabricated chassis, giving them an appearance vaguely approximating manufacturers' showroom models. They also have the engine placed in front of the driver, as opposed to dragsters, which place it behind the driver. These "fake" body shells are not just cosmetic; they serve an important aerodynamic purpose. A single carbon fiber body can cost US$70,000."

"Funny car fuel systems are key to their immense power. During a single run (starting, burnout, backing up, staging, 1/4 mile) cars can burn as much as 15 US gallons (12 imp gal; 57 L) of fuel. Horsepower claims vary widely—from 6,978 to 8,897—but are probably around 8,000 HP. They routinely achieve a 6G acceleration from a standing start."

Hot Wheels Hot Rod Series.

I don't recall ever seeing another top fuel dragster on this forum. :roll:
In 1990, Don "The Snake" Prudhomme ended his funny car career and switched to top fuel. At age 51, he became the third Top Fuel driver to pass the 300-mph mark (301.60) in 1993.

Don Prudhomme Racing Skoal Bandit Dragster. 1993. Corgi.

It's famous among those who follow drag racing. You can even get a commemorative shirt from Picclick.com.
"The front of the T-shirt celebrates his historic 300 MPH pass with illustrations of Snake's 1993 Skoal Bandit Top Fuel Dragster during a burnout with header flames fully ignited! "

RT

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon May 07, 2018 5:43 pm

Oh boy...
I made the mistake of going down that lane once, but will not do it again :shock:

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon May 07, 2018 8:53 pm

I think I'm happy to admire these from a distance :D .

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue May 08, 2018 12:31 am

Two very American types of racing and both really spectacular. I don't think I've ever seen 1:43 models of either, though I did have both a dragster and a funny car by Matchbox as a kid.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 am

Yeah, a branch of the sport I have never been able to get into - I just don’t get the point of spending all that effort and money for a 6 second run - then again there are plenty of us that appreciate the effort and money being expended on spending 20mins, 4 hours or 24 hours of going around a circuit just to get back to where you started from. :?

I do admire the technology though, and the power-plants are works of art. But like Ian, I will doff my hat to your collecting prowess and admire from afar :D
Martin

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:04 am

Seeing Fuel cars (and hearing them) is something every car person should do once. For me, once was enough but what a sight it was.
Cool that there are some models of them.
Jeff
ImageImage

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Don Garlits and his AA Fuelers were a spectacular sight and sound when they visited the UK in the 1960s and again in 1975. Ironically the 1:43 scale model 'rails' are tiny. I did get the great man to autograph some items which consolidate drag racing and it's hero at their finest.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Tue May 08, 2018 10:40 pm

LUW wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:43 pm
I made the mistake of going down that lane once, but will not do it again :shock:
Jager wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:53 pm
I think I'm happy to admire these from a distance :D
Alfaholic wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 am
Yeah, a branch of the sport I have never been able to get into
You are welcome to watch from the grandstands. ;)
JSB33 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:04 am
Seeing Fuel cars (and hearing them) is something every car person should do once.
GBOAC002 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:56 pm
Don Garlits and his AA Fuelers were a spectacular sight and sound when they visited the UK in the 1960s and again in 1975.
Alfaholic wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 am
I do admire the technology though, and the power-plants are works of art
OK, here we have a bit more enthusiasm. :)
GBOAC002 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:56 pm
I did get the great man to autograph some items which consolidate drag racing and it's hero at their finest.
Ah, perhaps we actually have a fan. :)

Well, here's another drag racer. Last one, I promise. :mrgreen:

Note the parachute pack on the rear.

Willys Coupe. Universal Hobbies.

Motorsport Magazine published their list of the seven best-ever Grand Prix cars representing the best of their respective eras. "They're the ones that will be remembered as milestone machines." Of course, there are many "best-ever" lists, and you probably won't agree with this one entirely.
  • 1913 Peugeot L76 Grand Prix
  • 1924 Alfa Romeo P2
  • 1938 Mercedes-Benz W154
  • 1959 Cooper T51
  • 1967 Lotus 49
  • 1979 Lotus 79
  • 2002 Ferrari F2002
I have a model of each except the Peugeot which I have not found in 1:43. Here's my latest addition.

“Considered the most successful Formula 1 car of all time, F2002 won 15 out of 19 races. Schumacher amassed 11 wins and finished second in every other race, while teammate Rubens Barrichello won four races. They finished one-two in nine races. The Ferraris were one-two in the Drivers’ Championship, and the manufacturer won the Constructors’ Championship with twice as many points as all the other teams put together.”

Ferrari F2002. Hot Wheels Elite.

RT

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed May 09, 2018 12:31 am

Nothing against the Ferrari which is a lovely model, but its not one of the first cars to come to mind when you think of the most successful F1 cars.

To me that honour probably goes to the 1988 McLaren MP4/4 which won 15 of the 16 races that season (Ayrton Senna (8) & Alain Prost (7).

As you say, there are lot of lists, but here's another one from Motorsport with a comprehensive list of cars :

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/most ... rs-991911/

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 09, 2018 1:42 am

The Ferrari makes me appreciate the dragster more. :)

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 am

Agreed.

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Wed May 09, 2018 6:51 am

Whats wrong with the Ferrari eh , eh :D
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person