Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Alfaholic

Re: Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Post by Alfaholic » Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 am

No surprise that this is much more to my liking RT :D

I like the idea of collecting the cars from a ”Greatest Ever” List - a good way to get a small but select group of iconic F1s.
Martin

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Wed May 09, 2018 1:37 pm

[/quote]
Tom wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:42 am
The Ferrari makes me appreciate the dragster more. :)
LUW wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 am
Agreed.
Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:51 am
Whats wrong with the Ferrari eh , eh :D
Alfaholic wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 am
No surprise that this is much more to my liking RT
Geez, this may be more controversial than an American political discussion these days. :? :)
Alfaholic wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 am
I like the idea of collecting the cars from a ”Greatest Ever” List - a good way to get a small but select group of iconic F1s.
Yes, such lists can be very useful for collecting if one lacks background knowledge like I do. :oops:
Jager wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:31 am
Nothing against the Ferrari which is a lovely model, but its not one of the first cars to come to mind when you think of the most successful F1 cars.
You're right; they aren't the most "successful" cars. It was a list of cars that could be considered "milestones."

Continuing in the F1 vein:

Williams/Renault FW16. Coulthard. Onyx.

The next model doesn't have numbers, but we'll call it a race car.

In the early 1950s, Renault was interested in the application of new technologies such as the gasoline turbine engine. A trial vehicle was developed, built around a turbine developing 270 hp. In 1956, near the Bonneville salt flats in Utah, the Étoile Filante ("Shooting Star") set a world speed record of 308.85 kph (192 mph) for turbine-powered cars. However, Renault was not able to adapt the turbine engine to production vehicles. The Étoile Filante has been rebuilt and is on display in Renault's Historical Cars Collection.

Renault Étoile Filante. Norev.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Another one from the Renault brochures/books of the 1970s. Another one that I love dearly and that I need to avoid unless I want to get caught up in the LSR theme... fantastic shape, love it.
As for the F1 car: that might be one of the last ones I really liked. Clean shape without all the winglets and intakes and a full Rothmans livery make it great.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed May 09, 2018 4:04 pm

That Renault is so cool that even the red F1 looks better now :D
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Thu May 10, 2018 11:21 am

Tom wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:51 pm
Another one that I love dearly and that I need to avoid unless I want to get caught up in the LSR theme... fantastic shape, love it.
LUW wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:04 pm
That Renault is so cool that even the red F1 looks better now :D
The Renault is a fantastic shape. My preference is always for smooth lines over angles and winglets.

Now, just to contradict myself, here's one that has no curved lines at all.

This will climb a 45º incline. Has a 4.8 liter engine with 240 hp. I posted this last year, and Ian commented that this was a civilian version of a prototype military vehicle. It made an appearance at the Dakar in 2010. Probably not actually raced, but rather used to ferry the press around. It may have been raced in the 2011 Dakar, driven by A. Daniel and D. Manuel, but I could find no record of this.

Renault Sherpa. Eligor.

The Sherpa and this Tarek are probably two of the most ungainly vehicles in my collection outside of pre-WWI cars.

This is a VW designed by Intaldesign/Giugiaro for the 2003 Paris-Dakar rally. It's a 2WD diesel "buggy" that's huge like a Hummer H1 (15.1 ft. x 7.2 ft.), only not so high or heavy.

The Tarek has strange proportions – a far cry from Giugiaro's EB 118, for example. But I like it because the design reflects the requirements of an extreme desert race.

Volkswagen Tarek. Norev.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am

Italdesign on a beer coaster? Ungainly is being kind, the later Touareg PD cars look a lot better.
I quite like the Renault Hummer. Looks purposeful.

Then again, few PD cars of the last 30 years actually look good.

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu May 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Both, very nice. Cars that I have no business with, but would be très cool to have.

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri May 11, 2018 12:26 am

Some nice diverse stuff there which is a bit different to the usual racing machinery we see.

I guess I relate to the Williams F1 car most of all. It's nice to see the David Coulthard version, instead of the usual Senna or Hill versions.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Fri May 11, 2018 9:17 am

Tom wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am
I quite like the Renault Hummer. Looks purposeful.
Exactly. Good design isn't necessarily handsome.
Jager wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:26 am
Some nice diverse stuff there which is a bit different to the usual racing machinery we see.
Thanks, Ian. There will be more "different" to come. ;)
LUW wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:32 pm
Both, very nice. Cars that I have no business with, but would be très cool to have.
Thank you, Luc. No need to "have" when you can just look them over on the Forum. :)

Luis Rodriguez Moya - Carlos Sainz (Spain) winners of 1988 Rally Cajalicante, San Juan, Spain
This one came without the Marlboro decals.

Ford Sierra RS Cosworth (night version). Ixo.

No numbers on this one, but it's a car for racing.

Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa. PW.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri May 11, 2018 10:07 am

I like both, with a special memory attached to the Ferrari as I helped push one into the pits after a stint on the track at the Monterey Historics, two decades ago. You did a great job on the Ford's decals- much better like this.

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri May 11, 2018 11:28 am

I may detest a pilot figurine in the car, but one to pose beside the car is smashing.
And you're right, seeing all these different cars here is quite nice. The problem is that I'm a very impressionable 12yo... :?

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Fri May 11, 2018 12:41 pm

The Cossy is the obvious winner here :D

Great ob on the decals too RT ;)
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 am

Tom wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:07 am
I like both, with a special memory attached to the Ferrari as I helped push one into the pits after a stint on the track at the Monterey Historics, two decades ago. You did a great job on the Ford's decals- much better like this.
Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:41 pm
The Cossy is the obvious winner here :D

Great ob on the decals too RT ;)
Thanks, Tom & Gary. :) The decal job is not as good as you might think. I bought some Marlboro decals for another car because I couldn't find a set for the Ford. If you look closely, above the door you'll see that the decals are missing. Same situation in the rear. :(
LUW wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:28 am
I may detest a pilot figurine in the car, but one to pose beside the car is smashing.
Finding a figurine that's appropriately dressed for the era of the car is sometimes a challenge, especially for me since I don't follow racing. :?

Once again, this next set of cars was posted in 2015, but the pictures have gone with PhotoBucket.

These cars are sold as a set by GMP.

Several famous American race drivers started their careers in cars like these. Parnelli Jones is in the National Midget Auto Racing Hall of Fame. Mario Andretti raced in over 100 midget car events in 1963. A.J. Foyt, Jr. raced midget cars and was the USAC Sprint Car Series Champion. He raced midget and sprint cars in Minnesota and other Midwestern venues.

Jones, Andretti, and Foyt have all been inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum, located in Knoxville, Iowa, “The Sprint Car Capital of the World.”

The rest of the comments were provided by Jeff in the earlier posting. I'm including them here.

"The largest car of the set, the black #14 is ... the Dirt Champ car that was used on the dirt 1 mile ovals of the championship trail. The races on the dirt counted for the national driving championship into the early 70's. The drivers that raced Indy also had to race the mile tracks in cars like these to win the championship.
The Roadsters were intended for pavement only (although some tried them on dirt with no success)
The Dirt Champ cars were "Uprights" where the driver sat above the driveshaft.
The Roadsters had the driveline to the left of the driver so he could sit lower."

"The second car in the set is the Black # 2 Sprinter. These cars were used on the half mile dirt tracks.
They were not part of the Championship trail but were a good way for the driver and many times the Crew Chief to make a bit of extra money. The Sprints had their own championship
The Konstant Hot Sprinter is a very famous car as it is considered to be the "first modern sprinter" because of its use of a 4 bar suspension over the old as the hills torsion bar suspension that was the norm.
It also was the first successful use of the small block Chevy in place of the 255 Offy. It had some tremendous runs and battles with the old tried and true Offy.
This car was built by Jud Phillips."

"The smallest car, the yellow #19 is a midget. Run on mostly dirt but also on pavement 1/4 mile oval tracks. They had 90CID Offenhauser engines on a very diminutive and light chassis. Again, the Midget had their own championship and was a way for drivers to pick up some extra money and have some fun."

Thanks, again, Jeff. :D

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 am

I've never seen these IRL but they're incredibly cool. In fact every time I see them, I have to restrain myself not to find any for my collection. One was featured on the Discovery show Chasing Classic Cars.

LUW

Post by LUW » Tue May 15, 2018 9:12 pm

That's 1:43rd?!? :shock:

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:39 am

Lovely set, RT. I remember buying the same many years ago. I liked them so much I also bought the Foyt set.
Jeff
ImageImage

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 am

AAAARGH ! :x
I have been posting pictures in this thread that were posted before. But since they were posted using PhotoBucket, they had all disappeared. And now they have reappeared in the old postings. Unfortunately for me, the day before they reappeared, I deleted the URLs from all my posts. :twisted:

The next model was posted in 2013.

The $4,000 Thomas Flyer of 1907 was a proven machine, one of the greatest cars of its day. Each had to climb Buffalo’s Brewery Hill in high gear and do 55 to 60 miles an hour in a road test, before being delivered to a customer.

In 1908, this Thomas Flyer won the Around the World Auto Race that went from New York to Paris the long way – heading west by way of Alaska and China. :shock:

Times Square, New York City February 12,1908: Over 250,000 cheered the start of a race to circle the globe from New York to Paris by auto!  It would become the longest automobile competition in history, often with no roads & during a bitter cold winter.  The Around the World Auto Race would cover 22,000 miles in 169 days!

Jackie Frady, executive director of the National Automobile Museum, said the Flyer deserves a spot on the register because it represents so much more than just a car that won a race. “You have to look at the impact of the race,” she said. “At that time, European makes were considered superior, but when the Thomas Flyer won, that increased the prestige of American automobiles. The win also proved that something that had never been done before was possible, that automobiles could be used year-round and for reliable long-distance travel. That’s really the car’s historical pedigree, one that’s so often missed.”

President Teddy Roosevelt (the first President to drive an automobile) invited the Team and the Thomas to join him at his summer White House.

Thomas Flyer. Rio.
The model is missing (among other things) a spare tire, white tires, and an American flag (which can be seen in the old photos and on the stamp). I guess you buy these old Rios for the story, not for accurate representation. :roll:

RT

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon May 21, 2018 10:20 am

Rio has some models that I would like to have, but usually there are too many little mistakes that keep me away from them.
A shame.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon May 21, 2018 11:01 am

Still a nice model with a great back story.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 am

LUW wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:20 am
Rio has some models that I would like to have, but usually there are too many little mistakes that keep me away from them.
A shame.
Tom wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:01 am
Still a nice model with a great back story.
Together, Tom and Luc have summed up the Rio brand. :)

But wait; there's more.

Another Rio – and another story:

La Jamais Contente (The Never Satisfied) was the first road vehicle to go over 100 kilometres per hour (62 mph). It was a Belgian electric vehicle with a light alloy torpedo-shaped bodywork and batteries. The high position of the driver and the exposed chassis underneath spoiled much of the aerodynamics. The light alloy, called partinium, is an alloy of aluminium, tungsten and magnesium. The vehicle had two direct drive 25 kW motors for about 68 hp, and was equipped with Michelin tires.

The vehicle was driven by the Belgian driver Camille Jenatzy. Camille was the son of Constant Jenatzy, a manufacturer of rubber products (rubber was still a novelty at the time). Camille had studied as an engineer, with an interest in electric traction automobiles. He became known for his record-breaking speed runs, and was nicknamed Le Diable Rouge ("The Red Devil") for the color of his beard.

Jenatzy reached the land speed record of 105.882 kilometres per hour (65.792 mph) on April 29 or May 1, 1899. After this exploit the gasoline-fuelled combustion engine would increasingly supplant electric technology for the next century.

CITA "La Jamais Contente". Rio.

And perhaps a step above Rio quality, we have this by Brumm:

Manufactured by Benz & Cie. in 1909, the Blitzen set a couple of land speed records. In 1911, it averaged 228.1 km/h (141.7 mph) for a full mile at Daytona Beach. That broke the unofficial absolute speed record for land, sea, and air, set in 1907 by Glenn Curtiss on a V-8 motorcycle. The record stood until 1919.

Benz & Cie. Blitzen HP220 record. Brumm Ore Serie.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue May 22, 2018 8:33 am

Yes, the Brumm appears to be more detailed than the Rio. However, as the 1:1s are portrayed well enough I like both. I wonder if anyone will ever see enough profit in a series of 1:43 early cars... until then, I'm glad that the likes of Brumm and Rio did.

LUW

Post by LUW » Tue May 22, 2018 9:03 am

I like the Blitzen a LOT, to the point that I even eyed one twice or thrice but haven't yet found enough arguments to buy one :D

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue May 22, 2018 10:39 am

LUW wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:03 am
I like the Blitzen a LOT, to the point that I even eyed one twice or thrice but haven't yet found enough arguments to buy one :D
Surely this one qualifies for the Silberpfeile collection Luc. Made by Benz, painted in silver and used for land speed records, what else do you need :D .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LUW

Post by LUW » Tue May 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Oh shush! Gary is enough to give me bad ideas for cars I'm not supposed to buy :?.