Spark Models 1965 Targa Florio Sunbeam Tiger

CDM

Spark Models 1965 Targa Florio Sunbeam Tiger

Post by CDM » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Spark Sunbeam Tiger 1965 Targa Florio as driven by Peter Harper and the Reverend Rupert Jones.

Just received this new model from Spark and WOW what a model. It’s a model I looked at doing myself but there would be a serious amount of work involved. So when I spotted this in the 2018 Spark Catalogue I couldn’t wait.

So armed with The Works Tiger book/bible, written by a very good friend of mine Graham Rood, a little bit of history on the real car first. AHP 483B started out as a works rally car driven by the Reverend Rupert Jones on the 1964 RAC rally under the Vitafoam banner. It was thought that the car would be suitable for an entry onto the Targa Florio in the GT class. But having changed the engine for a Shelby Cobra 4.7 litre unit the front was then cut away to give extra cooling for the engine and brakes and oil coolers added which then moved the car into the prototype 3 litre class. To cope with the extra air flow the bonnet was propped open, a power bulge added to clear the 4 barrel Holley carbs, the exhausts modified to exit just in front of the rear wheels, the boot propped open to help thru flow ventilation, wider minilites on very stiff suspension, one overtaking mirror added and a rear window demister. The car remained in Carnival Red with a black roof and Midnight Blue bonnet & boot. The car was fast and reliable and eventually finished 2nd in class to the overall winner.

ImageDSCN6185 aa

ImageDSCN6188 aa

ImageDSCN6187 aa

ImageDSCN6186 aa

ImageFB_IMG_1522361222458

ImageSunbeam-Tiger-Factory-Competition-Car-1028 aa

So back to the model it is a gem and well presented. The overall shape and the details are very good. It looks like someone has looked at the real car currently in the Shelby Museum or a load of photos? On the base it says P Harper Jones – this really should read P Harper Rev R Jones. The front looks good with the wide opening and the two hedgehog oil coolers, the bonnet is part open and so is the boot!!,, there is one overtaking mirror, a rear window demister, rear chrome trim on the rear wings only and the very well done hand painted race numbers. So what’s wrong - the roof is black as is the bonnet & boot which should both be Midnight Blue (really hard to see this on a colour photo), as per the real car there are two exhaust sticking out the back but the two side pipes are missing (see museum car), but don’t let these distract from what is a very good model from Spark. Check out their ADU 312B Tiger from the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, which I already has as a Provence Moulage kit, so I will be passing on this one.

ImageDSCN6189 aa

ImageDSCN6190 aa

ImageDSCN6191 aa

ImageDSCN6192 aa

ImageDSCN6193 aa

This will go into a themed collection of which more much laterrrrr…..Chris

Tom

Re: Spark Models 1965 Targa Florio Sunbeam Tiger

Post by Tom » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Really cool car, fab model.

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:09 pm

VERY cool - first time I see a Spark with both boot and bonnet opened. Shame about the absent pipes.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Well done CD, that certainly looks a stunner :shock: Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh so to speak.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

CDM

Post by CDM » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Paul

You wont have to wait long it will be out on Monday evening!!!

Chris

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:14 pm

That's a great model and really shows off the talents and abilities of the guys at Spark.

There is a nice collection of pictures of the Sunbeam at the website below. Interestingly shots 8 and 9 taken from the rear of the car appear to show two rear exiting exhaust pipes, while other pictures show the side exiting exhaust. Was the exhaust changed during the event ?

http://www.targapedia.com/album_targa_f ... index.html
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

CDM

Post by CDM » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:32 am

Ian

The exhausts confused me too.

I have just emailed Graham to find out.

Chris

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:33 am

This one is on my hit list for sure.
Jeff
ImageImage

JBRedondo

Post by JBRedondo » Sun May 20, 2018 4:07 pm

A very interesting model, to me especially as I started Targa collection some time ago.
Jerry

philsaunders

Post by philsaunders » Tue May 29, 2018 2:50 pm

Wow, fantastic model! And what a piece of history. Someone at Spark spent some love on this model. I only have Porsches and Stratos..es.. (Stratoi?) from the Targa, but I'm tempted to expand my theme...
Friends don't let friends early apex...

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Tue May 29, 2018 3:27 pm

Really cool looking model, indeed! :)
-Julio-