Redline Ferrari 612

k1w1taxi

Redline Ferrari 612

Post by k1w1taxi »

Though I bought this for my NZ collection I thought it deserved more exposure than just a single photo there (when I get around to updating that thread :) ). Apologies for the colour change in some of the photos they were all taken in the same place at the same time in the same conditions yet :?: :roll:

The Ferrari 612 was built by Ferrari at the insistence of Bill Harrah (the West Coast importer and bankroller of the program) to try and challenge the might of McLaren in the Can Am series. Unfortunately I don't believe Enzo thought much of the series so he did not provide Chris with any back up or factory development after the initial appearance at Las Vegas' Stardust GP in 1968. As a result Chris was rather behind the 8 ball for the whole time he ran the car before eventually giving up. The biggest problem caused by the lack of funding/support was a lack of reliability especially in the biggest engine Ferrari had ever built.

The Redline is a cracker little model and represents the car as it appeared at the 1968 Las Vegas round where Chris qualified 9th but failed to finish due to clogged injectors. Unfortunately I am unsure as to the accuracy of the model as the very very photos of the car I can find on the Net do not show the front winglets, but given the silver colour of these it is possible that the photos are practice whilst these were added for the race.

Cheers
Lee

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: Redline Ferrari 612

Post by JSB33 »

Would love to add this car, Lee. I am afraid its priced out of my range so I will just enjoy the pics of yours.

Great addition!
Jeff

RaceOddity
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow....or Calgary,Canada if you prefer.

Post by RaceOddity »

AArrgghh, Lee... nicely done. I have had this one in line for a while,
but haven't managed to do the deal. Haven't seen one one the flesh.
Have they avoided some of the more regular finish issues that Redline seems
intent on including?
It looks extremely good to my eye. :D
Scott

k1w1taxi

Post by k1w1taxi »

The finish looks excellent to my eyes. Paint is flawless, all bits seem well attached, no spare glue ;)

Cheers
Lee

RaceOddity
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow....or Calgary,Canada if you prefer.

Post by RaceOddity »

Well, all round kudos to you! I will go in my corner and sulk now... 8-)
Scott

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR »

What a nice model! :)
-Julio-

jj2728

Post by jj2728 »

As soon as this gem hit the market I snapped one up. An invaluable addition to my Can Am collection. It is a limited edition of 500 pcs. As far as the winglets are concerned, I did find a photo that confirms the accuracy of the model. Now if someone would do the 1969 612 and the 1971 712 I'd be a very happy camper.
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2960 ... 438ew8.jpg

k1w1taxi

Post by k1w1taxi »

Thanks for that jj. Could not believe Redline would be that wrong given their price point and Spark's usual accuracy. Good to have visual verification.

Cheers
Lee