IXO Huiles Berliet 'Transporter'

Jager

IXO Huiles Berliet 'Transporter'

Post by Jager » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 am

IXO have released this model, which looks like it could possibly be a racing transporter, but probably isn't. Does anyone know the background to this one ?

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Glen

Re: IXO Huiles Berliet 'Transporter'

Post by Glen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:51 pm

I found this
http://cyclingmodel.over-blog.com/2018/ ... -1955.html

Which says that it was a mobile workstation servicing the cars that followed the Tour de France bicycle race.

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Yep, it's a workshop on wheels for the TdF.
Really neato.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Cool van.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:58 pm

I like it no matter what is was used for. Well, maybe not if they strangled kittens in it but short of that....
Jeff
ImageImage

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:14 pm

I just received one (PW version). At first I thought about converting it to look like the Cunningham bus/transporter from the early 50's, but having done some research, think I will keep it as is. There are aftermarket TdF decals that make it either the 1953 or 1955 version. Seeing photos of the bus/transporter with the decals, its pretty cool! I will post photos when done.
Berliet TdF.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:21 pm

I love that they didn't make it glossy. It's a seriously cool vehicle that can play a great role in a dio.

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:26 pm

Only three chassis of the Berliet PLK 8 bus were used to build unique vehicles in order to meet some needs of the company , so they took the chassis along with the front panel and they attached closed box type bodies on them in order to use them for the internal transportation needs of the Berliet factory.
The vans ended up being lent to the organizers of the Tour de France in 1953 with one of them being adapted into a workshop van for the Tour.
It could be made into a transporter very easily as it even has the back doors .so I can see why it might appeal , but it was never a race transporter so unless you are into fantasy vehicles its probably not worth bothering with .
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche............For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:26 pm
Only three chassis of the Berliet PLK 8 bus were used to build unique vehicles in order to meet some needs of the company , so they took the chassis along with the front panel and they attached closed box type bodies on them in order to use them for the internal transportation needs of the Berliet factory.
The vans ended up being lent to the organizers of the Tour de France in 1953 with one of them being adapted into a workshop van for the Tour.
It could be made into a transporter very easily as it even has the back doors .so I can see why it might appeal , but it was never a race transporter so unless you are into fantasy vehicles its probably not worth bothering with .
While it was never an auto race support vehicle, with the aftermarket decals it makes into a pretty neat truck/bus support vehicle for the TdF. I'm okay with that because ever since I was a kid, I have liked playing with trucks! :D
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:19 pm

oldirish33 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:23 pm

While it was never an auto race support vehicle, with the aftermarket decals it makes into a pretty neat truck/bus support vehicle for the TdF. I'm okay with that because ever since I was a kid, I have liked playing with trucks! :D
The decal set is pretty cheap and will certainly make the bus more period correct . In a Tdf scene it would look great im sure . If its historically accurate in its looks and its use, then its a winner in my book ....I just dont like to see fantasy race / service trucks .
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche............For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person