Old Irish Trucking

Tom

Re: Old Irish Trucking

Post by Tom » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:47 am

Fantastic models! I wouldn't mind that Iveco Daily myself, I once drove a turboless version to Barcelona and back. Not a quick drive at all.

105epaul

Post by 105epaul » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 am

Superb collection, I have the Dinky trucks and the Oxford Lotus Thames 400E (and many others!). Oxford used my friend's Thames for the basis of the model and the plain grey version represents his van. It was actually bought when new by Jenson Button's grandfather and it was very carefully looked after so escaped being ravaged by the rust bug. I am rather fond of them as I've done a fair few miles in them. Just remembered that I had to tow another friend's Thames down the M1 motorway with my 58 Chevy Belair, the van was on a rope (ah the good old days) and my friend was terrified! :D

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:54 am

I could easily find room in my collection for all of those Jerry. I'm keen on that Porsche transporter as you know, but the little Altaya Pirelli van is equally as desirable.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:43 am

Castrol truck is superb.
Jeff
ImageImage

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:28 pm

More Servizio: Here are a couple more Greenlight Ram Promaster/Fiat Ducato vans I took liberty to adorn with racing liveries of a couple teams that the vans will serve as backdrops for in the display case. These well detailed vans are currently available for less than $20 with shipping, so why not?

JSB33 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:43 am
Castrol truck is superb.
Thanks Jeff, I think I have enough left over decals if you want to make one.
Jager wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:54 am
I could easily find room in my collection for all of those Jerry. I'm keen on that Porsche transporter as you know, but the little Altaya Pirelli van is equally as desirable.
I'll let you know if I stumble across another Porsche transporter. The IXO version of the Pirelli van has red fenders, which really makes a smart looking model. I may try and do the same with this one.
105epaul wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 am
Superb collection, I have the Dinky trucks and the Oxford Lotus Thames 400E (and many others!). Oxford used my friend's Thames for the basis of the model and the plain grey version represents his van. It was actually bought when new by Jenson Button's grandfather and it was very carefully looked after so escaped being ravaged by the rust bug. I am rather fond of them as I've done a fair few miles in them. Just remembered that I had to tow another friend's Thames down the M1 motorway with my 58 Chevy Belair, the van was on a rope (ah the good old days) and my friend was terrified! :D
Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:47 am
Fantastic models! I wouldn't mind that Iveco Daily myself, I once drove a turboless version to Barcelona and back. Not a quick drive at all.
Thanks and great stories! It seems to be universal that there are memorable road (off road? ;) ) adventures in old vans.
Alfaholic wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:18 am
I really like the old Italian support vehicles here Jerry. You have inspired me to look for some of the Alfa ones that may be around.
I have a couple Romeo 2 vans Martin that I am waiting to do some work with. They will need repainting, so I am holding off till I get my new shop completed and can set up my paint gun again. There is an Altaya that has a roof rack on it that is relatively inexpensive that I think will make a great Alfa support vehicle. Its in the right colors now if I could just get the decals off.

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Those Ducatos look great, very authentic. Perhaps Greenlight's Transit could be a good base vehicle too.

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Really looking forward to seeing what you do with the Alfa van Jerry. I can picture the roof rack filled with spare tyres already.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:37 am

3 thumbs up for the latest. I have to admit that it would be hard for me to do anything to that cute little Italian, it looks great as is.
Jeff
ImageImage

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:47 pm

JSB33 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:37 am
3 thumbs up for the latest. I have to admit that it would be hard for me to do anything to that cute little Italian, it looks great as is.
Yes, I agree it is a cute model, but I see it with so many possibilities. If it were rare, then yes of course I would leave as is. I think Altaya made it with the purpose I have in mind! :D
Jager wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:05 pm
Really looking forward to seeing what you do with the Alfa van Jerry. I can picture the roof rack filled with spare tyres already.
Precisely! ;)
Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:31 pm
Those Ducatos look great, very authentic. Perhaps Greenlight's Transit could be a good base vehicle too.
Thanks Tom! I grabbed these because they were on sale, but yes the Transit would open up new possibilities as well!

Still More...: I am finding myself more drawn to finding course and support vehicles, as well as transporters for my collection. I am particularly drawn to those which could be made into those vehicles as I look for more projects to keep me occupied once my new workshop is complete. With tha in mind, here are a couple recent finds.

MAN TGL 12 - Atlas: When I first saw this police/fire command post vehicle, I thought that could be converted to a small transporter, or race paddock support vehicle. I am not sure what this will be used for exactly. Tire company support vehicle?, or oil company perhaps?, race transporter? It looks very much like the MAN support truck Team Bentley used at Le Mans in 2001.

I can just see a load of tires in that rack on top of the cab! These seem to be pretty inexpensive and plentiful on ebay, may need to get another one before they disappear! A well made model which I am sure is a partworks Altaya/IXO.

Mercedes Martini Porsche Transporter - Premium Classixxs: While not the first one in my collection and certainly seen before many times on this forum, I have been picking these up when I can find them cheaply enough. I have some small hinges and I think I may try to cut out the door and make it so it will open and close, showing more interior detail, making some workbenches, etc..

There is some debate on another forum I subscribe to about the three Porsche Mercedes transporters, who used them and when. Its known only two survive, but its not known that Martini ever used one in this color scheme. They used one painted in silver in 1973, but I have no recollection of seeing a picture of a white one. Am I right Ian? Regardless, they make great display pieces and they are still out there. This one came from a dealer selling some NOS ones. I have a small Mercedes truck coming to go with it.

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:56 pm

The Porsche transporter is superb, and I was eyeing that same MAN as a base for conversions for the same reasons.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:30 pm

The white Martini transporter seems to be slightly harder to find than some of the other liveries. The early realeases (Gulf, Silver Martini etc) were 1000 pieces each, but the later released were only 500pieces. I’ll check my database to see what the numbers were for this one.

It’s definitely real,used circa 1976. I’ll email you some pictures tonight.

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:35 pm

I am pretty sure there was a Martini-liveried Mercedes transporter used by Porsche wors team, but I don't have a picture to verify what I'm saying at the moment.
Follow me on Instagram @brimportcollection

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:37 pm

Proof that the members of the other forum havent a clue what theyre talking about

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Thanks, saved me having to look it up! :D was the blue transporter the Martini sponsored team used at Le Mans in 1970 one of the three Mercedes transporters owned by Porsche? I only have a rear view shot and can't tell.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:52 am

Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:37 pm

Gary, will you be buying those Porsche sawhorses for your collection?
Jeff
ImageImage

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:47 am

As Gary has already shown, there were two white Martini transporters. As you can see below, they had slightly different Martini logos, with Premium Classixxs modelling the version on the left (although the casting is based on the truck on the right based on the position of the side indicator above the cab):

The dark blue Martini transporter from 1970 was a completely different truck. Here's the best overall picture of it that I have.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks for supplying the pictures and information Ian and Gary! I especially appreciate the image of the blue Martini truck Ian. It is one I want to model for my 1970 Le Mans paddock diorama. It's hard for me to keep them all straight. I think I will save what gray cells I have left for the areas I have already developed some expertise and leave the rest to others. :D The discussion I referred to was in a vintage racing forum and in re-reading it, I think the poster was referring to the Exoto transporter not the Premium Classixxs Martini transporter as being non-authentic.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:03 pm

That would be right Jerry....all the Exoto transporters are fake (mostly authentic liveries, but on the wrong trucks).