Old Irish Trucking

Jager

Re: Old Irish Trucking

Post by Jager » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:02 am

Love the Berliet truck Jerry....its got 'racing transporter' written all over it. Looking through my transporter pics, I was thinking this might be another option with some poetic licence and/or rework of the grill.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:44 am

Yes, there are many possibilities! It's a great base to start with!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:38 pm

More Ferrari!: I came across a couple of Ferrari trailers and the small transporter offered by an Italian seller that have been converted from IXO and Altaya truck and trailer models, with one exception. That is an Old Cars transporter trailer that has lost its tractor at some point. At $20 it was too good to pass up and helped even out the shipping costs.

Fiat 690 TI tractor - IXO and Canvas top trailer - Altaya or IXO: I had the IXO Fiat 690 tractor and felt it would make a good match in the Ferrari livery I applied, with the right trailer. When I found this trailer, I thought it would be a good match. It was also about $20. My plan is to make it into a N.A.R.T. transporter when I get the chance.

The 690 was the first heavy Italian truck designed and capable of long-hauls. It was produced from 1960-1973 and used Fiat's 203A/61 6-cylinder diesel engine of 11.5L, it has a maximum power output of 180 hp. With its 6X2X2 axle and drivetrain specification, the truck was capable of a maximum 44 ton payload. Canvas topped semi-trailers were popular (especially in the USA) in the 50's and early 60's for their versatility in hauling different types of payloads with and without the top on. I envision this as a truck Ferrari would use for ferrying production cars to port, hauling components to the factory. Denis Jenks once wrote an article about race transporters in the 50's and 60's and explained how Ferrari pressed their other trucks into service when the race demands outstripped the ability of their Bartoletti transporters to transport the factory cars to various F1 and sports car races.

Fiat 682 Biscara - IXO and Altaya: This Ferrari transporter is representative of the late 60's early 70's Ferrari transporters which could haul three cars, equipment and crew. The seller has skilfully grafted a IXO Fiat cap to the repainted chassis of the Altaya Pegaso car transporter. I have started doing some 'weathering' detail to the car decks and ramps. I intend to build a box for the forward lower deck over the winter to make it more like the transporters Ferrari and other teams used.

Built over a 36 year (1952-1988) period, the 682 was part of Fiat's range of heavy trucks and could haul loads from 14 to 40 tons, depending on configuration. All 682's were powered by the big Fiat 602 six-cylinder diesel engine, which was noted for its maximum torque at low RPM's. Rugged and durable, the 682 model was used in a variety of configurations depending on the loads to be hauled. The famous Ferrari Bartoletti race transporter is based on Fiat 682 mechanicals.

Ferrari Transporter Trailer - Old Cars: Nothing new about this trailer. The older Fiat 690 has been pressed into service here, but I intend to find a more suitable tractor to match its late 70's livery.

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Nice ones, specially the 682.
But on the 690, would there be such a big Shell emblem on the trailer? For the 60's I wouldn't expect to see anything else but the cavallino.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Maybe. They had sponsor advertising on their other transporters in period. It will likely come off when I redo it into a NART vehicle anyway.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Very cool transporters!

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Great additions Jerry and they are set off very well by the matching cars.

One small observation is that the ‘Old Cars’ trailer is probably 2000’s rather than 1970’s judging by the enclosed wheels. Even up until the 90’s most of the transporter trailers had open wheels.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Jager wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:37 pm
Great additions Jerry and they are set off very well by the matching cars.

One small observation is that the ‘Old Cars’ trailer is probably 2000’s rather than 1970’s judging by the enclosed wheels. Even up until the 90’s most of the transporter trailers had open wheels.
Thanks, going by memory which is getting leakier! 😁 It will go well then with 2000 vintage tractor I just bought.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:20 am

That axle configuration on the 690 looks very odd to me, I wonder how it worked? Was it a a 4 wheel, 2 axle steer?
Jeff
ImageImage

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:02 pm

JSB33 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:20 am
That axle configuration on the 690 looks very odd to me, I wonder how it worked? Was it a a 4 wheel, 2 axle steer?
Yes, exactly. Not very common in the US, but in Europe, UK and other places where roads were generally narrower and increased turning and maneuverability was required, the 6 x 2 arrangement for a three axle trailer was common. It also helped meet the per axle weight requirement in many countries. Some but not all allowed the second steering axle to be raised when not needed. A second steering axle here is still not common, but a lifting rear axle in front or behind the driving rear axle on a semi-tractor is very common.

Remember, that 690 probably didnt have power assist steering either. Better than a day in the gym! ;)
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com