1/43 Trucks

SG143

Re: 1/43 Trucks

Post by SG143 »

JSB33 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:02 am
That is not a sleeper unit, is it Gary?
Yes it would be . There`s just enough space behind the seats for a single bunk .
Not the best pic , but you can just see the flat area behind the seats

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche............For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Super tight quarters then.
Jeff

SG143

Post by SG143 »

JSB33 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:27 am
Super tight quarters then.
Deinately not for us big boys :lol:

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Minichamps Mercedes Benz Axor 1840 Tractor unit

The original Mercedes-Benz Axor mid-weight truck was developed to fill the gap between lighter Atego and heavier Actros models. The Axor was introduced in 2001. Stablemate to the smaller Atego, the Mercedes Axor ranges from 18 tonnes upwards, and extends to a three-axle 26-tonne chassis. The common fleet models, the Axor 1840, 2540 and 2640, provide a sturdy vehicle without the higher specification or price tag of the Axor’s counterpart , the Actros . The Axor day and sleeper (including high-roof) cab interiors have been made more driver-friendly, but the high mounting and three steps don’t suit all duties.

The Axor is powered by a 12 litre straight six cylinder engine that is built in Mexico . The straight six engine is reported to be an excellent unit and HP for HP , it actiually pulls better than the V6 engine in the Actros . Both trucks basically use the same chassis , but the Axor is minus the Actros electronic brake actuation, which just makes the pedal a slight bit harder to push, or in other words it feels normal in comparison to the featherlight feel of the Actros anchors .

The Axor, just like the bigger Actros comes with an electronic sequential gearbox that Mercedes-Benz has dubbed the “Telligent Gearbox”. It pushes forward the principle used in some earlier Mercedes-Benz tractors by using the gearshift lever to command a pneumatically actuated system that changes the gears. The Telligent gearbox utilizes a computer, together with a load-sensing system on the fifth-wheel coupling, to estimate the proper gear that the truck must be in . There’s also a relatively simple manual gearbox available and an automatic version which works like the Tiptronic system found in Mercedes-Benz cars .

Tom

Post by Tom »

I used to make the dealer magazine for MB Trucks NL when the Actros, Axor and Atego were introduced. The first Actros tractors were unreliable but after that they became much better. Nice truck, very good model. Apparently Ixo is taking this seriously.

dcast

Post by dcast »

Cool truck :) Have been looking into getting some truck model myself as have enjoyed playing the Truck Driver game with Xbox One.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Do any trucks in your part of the world have the large living quarters/sleepers? I don't hink you could hire a driver in the US with a cab as small as these.

Here is the size of things over here.
Jeff

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Tom wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:32 am
I used to make the dealer magazine for MB Trucks NL when the Actros, Axor and Atego were introduced. The first Actros tractors were unreliable but after that they became much better. Nice truck, very good model. Apparently Ixo is taking this seriously.
Sounds like a pretty cool job that Tom . This ones actually a Minichamps model that I bought about 12 years ago . Its much better quality than the latest Ixo trucks , but then it is twice the price too . Ixo have some new American trucks due for release soon which are must buys if your a truck or should I say a TV truck fan .
dcast wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:59 pm
Cool truck :) Have been looking into getting some truck model myself as have enjoyed playing the Truck Driver game with Xbox One.
Thanks. That wouldnt be Euro Truck driver youre playing is it? I have a buddy who is nuts about that game and has spent thousands on building his driving rig in order to play it.

JSB33 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:26 am
Do any trucks in your part of the world have the large living quarters/sleepers? I don't hink you could hire a driver in the US with a cab as small as these.

Here is the size of things over here.
https://freightliner.blob.core.windows. ... ior-v3.jpg
Most of the European trucks from the likes of DAF , Mercedes, Scania and Volvo use a very similar sized cab .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq9dUBS9mX0

Scania used to make a Longline version of their R Series truck with a larger living quarters, but Ive never seen one in the UK.

Last edited by SG143 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

It was a very nice job indeed. Later, the passenger car division got wind of what we were doing and I got to make their dealer magazine too. By then it was almost a full-time job, including photoshopping Dutch number plates into the images for their press database. I think I did the truck magazine for ten years and the cars for six or seven. Also made a few Dutch brochures.

That gaming setup looks amazing!

dcast

Post by dcast »

That is indeed awesome gaming set up :)

The game I'm playing is not Euro Truck Simulator as it's PC only game. Mine is Truck Driver, made by Dutch company called Soedesco. It's made for game consoles (Xbox One and PS4) and the game was released last year.
Before this, there wasn't really good truck driving simulation game for video game consoles. It should become available for PC as well.
https://soedesco.com/games/truck-driver/
Tom wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:07 am
It was a very nice job indeed. Later, the passenger car division got wind of what we were doing and I got to make their dealer magazine too. By then it was almost a full-time job, including photoshopping Dutch number plates into the images for their press database. I think I did the truck magazine for ten years and the cars for six or seven. Also made a few Dutch brochures.

That gaming setup looks amazing!
Sounds like really cool and fun job :)

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Minichamps Scania LB 141 S Tractor unit

In the 1970s nearly every driver acknowledged the Scania 141 as the King of the Road. It was the most powerful truck of its day, and proved to be a favourite for long-haul work throughout Europe. It set a standard for other manufacturers to match and it created a premium image for Scania that still exists. When Scania unveiled its 350 hp 14-litre V8 engine at the end of the 1960s, it was Europe’s most powerful truck engine, and it held that distinction for many years. The V8 made Scania the King of the Road.

Development started at a time when 250 hp was considered adequate. The engineers at Scania-Vabis realised that such outputs would not be sufficient in the long run, especially in timber haulage and heavy long-haulage, so why not try to be first on the market and take a groundbreaking step. The go-ahead in 1962 coincided with the development of a new generation of forward-control trucks that would be unveiled in 1968. An inline eight-cylinder engine would not fit underneath a forward-control cab, nor would a larger inline six. The engineers therefore went for a vee-configuration that would fit under the same cab as the 11-litre inline six, yet produce 100 hp more. The result was a powerful but very compact power unit that paved the way for a new level of truck performance.

The Scania LB140 models quickly won acclaim as they combined high output with a torque curve that flattered the use of low engine speeds which was a pleasant and effective combination in a heavy vehicle. Many customers also liked the V8 emblem and the typical, powerful rumbling of the engine and this, combined with exceptional durability and service life, quickly helped make the 14-litre V8 engine a legend with around 170,000 14-litre V8 engines being delivered between 1969 and 2001.

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks great, they were all over the place here up into the '90s.

Keko

Post by Keko »

Excellent Gary, it's an outstanding model. And maybe the most wanted 1/43 truck by Minichamps. I have the 6 cylinder version in 'Hamburger Spedition' livery, also by Minichamps, also as semi tractor.

dcast

Post by dcast »

Excellent model. I remember these Scania trucks were seen long time on the roads.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Gary is the 1:43 trucking king of the UK. Seems like you have them all.
Jeff

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Tom wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:26 pm
That looks great, they were all over the place here up into the '90s.
Yeh they were a very popular over here too. My Aunt & Uncle ran a couple in their fleet for a few years and they were great tractor units and were well liked by the drivers.
Keko wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:44 pm
Excellent Gary, it's an outstanding model. And maybe the most wanted 1/43 truck by Minichamps. I have the 6 cylinder version in 'Hamburger Spedition' livery, also by Minichamps, also as semi tractor.
Thanks Keko , I have to agree with you in that is a very nicely done model as is the red/cream version you have. I really wanted to get the matching trailer for mine, but theyre impossible to find by themselves.
dcast wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:37 pm
Excellent model. I remember these Scania trucks were seen long time on the roads.
Yes, they were very common sight in the UK too as operators loved them due to the big V8 engine which was a superb motor that would go on forever .
JSB33 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:55 am
Gary is the 1:43 trucking king of the UK. Seems like you have them all.

Not quite yet, with only 30 in the fleet at the moment, theres still a little room for expansion . Eligor has some beauties available that I could see me adding and Ixo have a few new American rigs due out soon, including BJ & the bears Kenworth and the Peterbilt from Duel :D

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Eligor Iveco Stralis 560 Tractor unit

The Iveco Stralis is the Iveco company’s flagship heavy-duty truck which has been produced by the Italian manufacturer since 2002 . It replaced the EuroStar and EuroTech models and now covers the range above the Eurocargo, between 19 and 44 tonnes. In 2007, the Stralis received minor changes to cabin and front of the vehicle. All models have the EuroTronic gearbox, which have full or semi-automatic modes. This continues the trend Iveco started with the launch of the original Stralis in 2002, when it became the first heavy truck to be fitted with automated gearboxes as standard.

All engines are four-valve straight-6 cylinder units with modern pump nozzle injection and various performance levels from three different capacity variants are available . There is an entry level Cursor 8 with a 7.8 litre capacity developing 310-360 hp with the mid range powerplant being a Cursor 10 with a 10.3 litre capacity developing 420-450 hp . The most powerful engine is a Cursor 13, with a 12.9 litre capacity developing 500-560 hp. All engines are equipped with the Iveco “Turbobrake” , a high performance decompression exhaust brake, to help braking, especially on long downgrades. Available exclusively to meet Euro 5 emissions standards and featuring the very latest on-board diagnostics , the Cab range includes Active Day (AD), Active Time (AT) and Active Space (AS) models, with two new AS variants, comprising the CUBE and flagship Super CUBE.

This model by Eligor is of the 12.9 litre engined Stralis 560 with the Active Space Supercube cab. Features inside the Supercube cab included larger, more comfortable bunks, 15 per cent increase in storage space, new heated and multi-adjustable seats , a revised dashboard with new multifunctional display, larger folding table, additional lighting and a striking grey and black interior trim. The Stralis was a popular truck amongst fleets as it was cheaper to buy than the equivalent Scania or Volvo , but they did suffer some reliability problems which meant they got alot of mixed reviews. They were very well equipped but the build quality wasnt the best and drivers would often complain about the interior falling to bits and how cheap the materials used were. No doubt as a driver , youd prefer to be in a Volvo or Scania , but for a haulier the Stralis made sense as a lower cost alternative. Iveco partnered up with the New Zealand All Blacks and provided the team with six Iveco vehicles for the duration of their European Rugby tour. The Stralis “Emotional truck” as it was known, was later auctioned off along with the Iveco team coach in order to raise funds for the UNICEF charity. To commemorate being official sponsors of the team, Iveco produced 100 trucks wearing the All Blacks tribal colour scheme.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I recall these being introduced. Really nice model.

dcast

Post by dcast »

Nice one again, cool truck :)
Wondering about trailers. Let's say there's a trailer made by IXO, can it be connected to Eligor made truck or vice versa?

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

I think it would look better without the graphics.
What is "All Blacks"? You would have holy hell to pay if you used that name in the US. :lol:
Jeff

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Tom wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:51 am
I recall these being introduced. Really nice model.
Eligor make some nice stuff Tom. This ones a slightly older release but their latest trucks are absolute crackers.
dcast wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:53 am
Nice one again, cool truck :)
Wondering about trailers. Let's say there's a trailer made by IXO, can it be connected to Eligor made truck or vice versa?
Although I havent tried mix & match tractor and trailer combos, im sure an Ixo trailer will fit onto most 1/43 trucks. You might find that the trailer locating pin is too large in diameter to fit into the tractor units fifth wheel , but thats easily sorted.
JSB33 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:39 am
What is "All Blacks"? You would have holy hell to pay if you used that name in the US. :lol:
The All Blacks are the world famous New Zealand rugby team....you mustve heard of them. I can see why it might not be advisable to drive through Alabama in this one thats for sure :lol:

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

SG143 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 am

JSB33 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:39 am
The All Blacks are the world famous New Zealand rugby team....you mustve heard of them. I can see why it might not be advisable to drive through Alabama in this one thats for sure :lol:
Rugby? never heard of it.
Jeff

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Ixo Peterbilt 359 Tractor unit

The latest release in the Ixo truck series is this gorgeous looking Peterbilt . 10-4 good buddy :D

Between 1967-1987, Peterbilt produced the well-known classic Peterbilt 359. It was the first long hood truck built by them and it developed quite a loyal fan base and following over the years. The 359 Peterbilt looked like a big truck was meant to look like back then. It was big, long, low and powerful , however, these trucks certainly had their issues. Many of them had quite a rough ride , in fact, so rough that they would shake their body rivets loose after awhile and the body panels would actually start to shift around under the rives , sometimes scraping off the paint underneath. In 1977, the company introduced a new dash style in the 359, that became known as the corvette dash, because of the round hump shape, similar to that of the early Corvettes

In July 1986, the manufacturer officially announced their intentions of producing these special classic Peterbilt 359 numbered trucks, as the last manufactured 359’s. 1987 was the final year of the production for the 359 model , so to add to the company truck sales, they announced the last three hundred and fifty nine trucks off the assembly line, would be numbered, and would be referred to as 359 Classics. The Classics were a loaded, chromed up long-hood truck with dual exhaust, aluminum fenders and hood, dual stainless breathers, stainless visor, dual polished round headlight pots, custom mud flaps, air horns, lights, 29 inch 150 gallon polished tanks and wheels, loaded 63 inch flat top bunks, with a black and grey interior, all built in 1987.

Some of these classic custom semi trucks were built with 2 stick transmissions, making them even more rare. A commemorative set of hood emblems were installed and a commemorative plaque was fixed on the dash stating the number of the truck in the last of the run. Of course in later years, many owners of 1987 model 359’s claimed to have one of the special classic numbered trucks. Some did, some disappointed owners, did not. 8,844 of the special 359 custom Peterbilt rigs, were built in the final year of production, but the numbered classics could still be checked on a factory list by their serial number of authenticity. To this day, there are mixed stories floating around about just how many of these trucks were released. These trucks rivaled the long hood Kenworth W900A, for that long hood presence on the highways and were a coveted truck to own both then and now, for die-hard old school truckers.

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks great, but quite old-fashioned for the 1980s. Torpedo-nose tractor units were never a big thing here because of the maximum length of the tractor-trailer combi, a longer tractor limited trailer size. Tipper trucks were sometimes torpedo-nose vehicles.

Ixo makes some amazing models these days.