Old Irish Trucking

oldirish33

Re: Old Irish Trucking

Post by oldirish33 »

One of the projects I have been working on lately, is a Jaguar Castrol transporter from the IMSA days in the late 80's. I have finished the mock-up (mostly) and now need to find either larger (legal size) decal paper, or a smaller trailer in which to make the finished product. I want to replicate one of the photos below, so will also need to build one of my PM unbuilt kits of the XJR-9 to make the #66 car, depending on which one I choose. Stay tuned.

One of the trickier bits, was reversing the image of the race car, which you can just see in the image below. This required making an image without sponsor logos and then layering them on the reverse image to get the finished result. All part of the fun! :D
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

Great project, will bring another unique piece for your collection.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Nice work Jerry. Looking forward to seeing the finished product once you find the right decal sheet.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

David MG

Post by David MG »

For display purposes I would have been happy with the “mock up” but you have obviously got the same bug as JB!
Cheers,
David

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

David MG wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:09 am
For display purposes I would have been happy with the “mock up” but you have obviously got the same bug as JB!
Exactly!
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Saviem JM240 -Altaya/IXO: Seeing someone else's conversion of this truck to a Firestone track support vehicle on the forum recently made me want to do one for myself. ;) The Saviem makes a good base vehicle and being in the Firestone colors already, only needed the center of the box sanded down of existing graphics and repainted white.

The Saviem JM240 was produced from 1964-1975 in collaboration with MAN of Germany. Man designed what has become known as the "Europe" cab (Type 860) and the truck was powered by a MAN10.7L turbo-charged straight-six engine, which produced 170bhp. The truck could haul a maximum load of 32 tonnes (35.3 tons) and came in a variety of configurations with chassis for van bodies, or as a tractor unit. Perhaps not very speedy, but enough torque and horsepower to haul a big load of race tires from circuit to circuit.

I have been wanting a companion for this Spark Ford van I have had for a long time.

Over the winter, I plan to do a paddock scene like this from Le Mans 1970. Note the Firestone trucks in the background. I need to do another one and I think I can cut the side of at least one to replicate the trucks here. It may have to wait though until international shipping gets better. It took a long time for this one to get here from France.

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks great!

I wish there'd be more classic caravans in 1:43 for those dioramas...

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:49 pm
That looks great!

I wish there'd be more classic caravans in 1:43 for those dioramas...
Thanks! There are some caravans, but not many and are getting harder to find.

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com