Old Irish Trucking

oldirish33

Re: Old Irish Trucking

Post by oldirish33 »

I thought I would update the progress on the McLaren transporter. I have been working on it in-between some other projects (mostly of the home improvement kind), so it is moving along if albeit slowly. :D I have the van body about done and have put the first primer guide coats on it to do any final fill and sanding. As the weather here has warmed up, I am hoping to have started putting paint on it by this weekend.

I used Milliput for filler at first but it must have been beyond its prime. While it set rock hard, it didn't adhere well, I ended up taking most of it off and using a plastic wood filler instead (you can see green patches of Milliput that remain). Much easier to work with and it takes primer and paint well. I am constantly checking the fit, here the van body sits on the chassis and cab assembly.

I neglected to show the bare chassis and cab in earlier photos.

After first primer guide coat and some wet sanding. I will have some final shaping to do, but as you can see Jeff, I am trying to round the corners as much as possible. :lol:

Hopefully images with the first coats of paint later this weekend!

Tom

Post by Tom »

Impressive result looking at what you started out with!

dcast

Post by dcast »

Nice job, interesting project :)

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Now you are at the easy part, just remove everything that doesn't look like the transporter ;)
Jeff

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

That is coming along well.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Doesn't look like your too far away Jerry. Have you thought about what you'll do to replicate the rear doors ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Jager wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:36 pm
Doesn't look like your too far away Jerry. Have you thought about what you'll do to replicate the rear doors ?
Alex_W wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:12 am
That is coming along well.
The image I have of the rear, it has a door that drops down to form a ramp. I am waiting for some taillights to come to complete the rear. I am painting the outline of the door black to standout. I am about 98% done, just need some detail work.
JSB33 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:34 am
Now you are at the easy part, just remove everything that doesn't look like the transporter ;)
I have managed to do something wrong just about every step of the way on this project. I have another truck to make the later version of the transporter. When I get to it, I hope I've learned from my mistakes! :D
dcast wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:33 am
Nice job, interesting project :)
Tom wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:57 am
Impressive result looking at what you started out with!
Thanks! It is by no means perfect and some point I may redo the box to be narrower and not quite as tall, but its mostly done for now. From Pinder Circus truck to F1 circus truck!

Tom

Post by Tom »

Impressive result! I agree that it's a little wide, though.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Congratulations Jerry. That will do nicely to compliment your McLaren collection.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

So the truck had a few too many Big Macs and became a Big Mac (Hauler) itself, it looks great from here.
Jeff