1:50 Scale Conversions to 1:43 Scale

RichArcher

1:50 Scale Conversions to 1:43 Scale

Post by RichArcher »

Before finding the 1:43 construction equipment discoveries in my other posts, some years ago I decided to buy some 1:50 scale with the aim of converting them to 143 by just expanding the cab / seating area. After all you can get such machines at different sizes. It just means it ends up representing a smaller version of the real thing. Not perfect of course but a solution. Here's my two 1:50 scale models.
CAT 572C 2a (600x459).jpg
Rerailer - 'What on earth's one of them?' I hear you ask. Well, this type of machine I think is actually built as a pipe layer but in the US they are used on railroads to rerail derailed stock. This one's official title is a CAT 572C but generally known as a side boomer. It is 1:50 scale and for rerailing it's best to have two, one each side of the derailed stock, so I bought two. As for converting them to 1:43 scale well I was amazed to discover that I did not have to do anything. As you can see my 1:43 scale fella sits quite happily at the controls without me having to do anything. The actual seat is exactly the same size as the seat in the 1:43 scale excavator behind. Don't understand it because there is quite a difference between the two scales.
Komatsu WA70 2a (640x435).jpg
Small Digger - This is called a Komatsu WA70. It is also at 1:50 scale but this one wouldn't let me get away with doing nothing. The seating area did need to be expanded. Altering the width and length of the cab was way too complicated so I was left with just increasing the height. Had to separate the arm rests from the seat and move them out and also move the seat further back within the cab (figure not shown seated inside because conversion unfinished). It's all good modelling fun though I think.

Watch out, last night I was studying these monsters with the same conversion aim in mind:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-50-Norscot ... SwUPxdFY~v

Would love one these but I think it will be a while before I fork out those equally monster prices. There's plenty of room to raise the height of the cab. It's a lot of work though, I think the ladders might also need replacing. Motorising one of those beasts it would be preferable if the wheels were springy. That would be quite a challenge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom

Re: 1:50 Scale Conversions to 1:43 Scale

Post by Tom »

Impressive job!

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

I bet its a lot harder than you described it.

There was/is a company that is fairly close to where I live that made very high end road working equipment. They were at a local show and had an open house and wow, the stuff they did was fantastic. But way over my budget.
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Great job! Construction equipment in scale is cool. My fishing buddy worked for the local Cat dealer and has a small collection I would love to get down on the floor and play with! :D

RichArcher

Post by RichArcher »

You're right JSB33, it is hard tricky work, which is probably why I haven't finished the job. On looking at it again it's encouraged me to have a go at finishing it. All this kind of stuff will be a lot easier when I get the hang of using 3D software and getting 3D prints done. Need a new laptop first. I'll post my efforts here on this thread if I do have another go at it, and I'll take closer shots.

Thanks Oldirish33. I intend to 'play' with mine aswell but by making them work, and not by making them move like toys. Only modelled movement for a model. I hate seeing models dart about like toys.

RichArcher

Post by RichArcher »

HELP! I can't stop buying construction equipment. Couldn't resist this big wheeled bast**d! Fancied some of this big open cast mining equipment for a long while now and I can't see anyone ever making them at 1:43 scale so, the only alternative is to buy 1:50 and convert. It's called a CAT 994F Super Wheel Loader. Can't argue with that. Started off wanting one of these:- https://www.miniature-construction-worl ... 5f-ac.html but they're about £200. Then saw one of these at £98 and decided to get it and see how I get on with converting it. Depending on how hard it is, the dumper's next.
CAT 994F Super Wheel Loader 1a (640x433).jpg
Look at the size of this thing even at 1:50!!! Imagine the size of it at 1:43. Geee whiz! What a hunk of diecast! If I was in the Fiat and the guy in the 994F wanted the last parking spaces I'd say "Certainly sir. Shall I guide you in?". So, my mission, should I choose to accept it (and I do) is to convert this monster to 1:43 scale. This post will self destruct in …. …. Ooops, no, it better not.

The ladders and stairs are not bad. My 1:43 fellas will just have to breathe in. Those stair railings are 1' 11" apart at 1:43 scale (2' 3" at 1:50) which would be fine for me. My burley construction workers will just have to lay off the burgers. As you can see my Mr. Average fits fine.
CAT 994F Super Wheel Loader 1c (640x462).jpg
The height of the ladder rungs and steps are surprisingly fine but not sure about the depth. They might have to skip up them on tip toes. I think that could be sorted with not too much difficulty.

As you can see the cab will need some serious lifting. He'd have to bend down some to get through that door. The door's width is fine. While I'm at it I'll make the door openable. Then of course there's the seating area inside to sort out. All good fun. Wish me luck.
CAT 994F Super Wheel Loader 1d (640x376).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I'll be really impressed if you pull that off!