Old Irish Trucking

oldirish33

Re: Old Irish Trucking

Post by oldirish33 »

I thought I would update the progress on the McLaren transporter. I have been working on it in-between some other projects (mostly of the home improvement kind), so it is moving along if albeit slowly. :D I have the van body about done and have put the first primer guide coats on it to do any final fill and sanding. As the weather here has warmed up, I am hoping to have started putting paint on it by this weekend.

I used Milliput for filler at first but it must have been beyond its prime. While it set rock hard, it didn't adhere well, I ended up taking most of it off and using a plastic wood filler instead (you can see green patches of Milliput that remain). Much easier to work with and it takes primer and paint well. I am constantly checking the fit, here the van body sits on the chassis and cab assembly.

I neglected to show the bare chassis and cab in earlier photos.

After first primer guide coat and some wet sanding. I will have some final shaping to do, but as you can see Jeff, I am trying to round the corners as much as possible. :lol:

Hopefully images with the first coats of paint later this weekend!

Tom

Post by Tom »

Impressive result looking at what you started out with!

dcast

Post by dcast »

Nice job, interesting project :)

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Now you are at the easy part, just remove everything that doesn't look like the transporter ;)
Jeff

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

That is coming along well.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Doesn't look like your too far away Jerry. Have you thought about what you'll do to replicate the rear doors ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Jager wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:36 pm
Doesn't look like your too far away Jerry. Have you thought about what you'll do to replicate the rear doors ?
Alex_W wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:12 am
That is coming along well.
The image I have of the rear, it has a door that drops down to form a ramp. I am waiting for some taillights to come to complete the rear. I am painting the outline of the door black to standout. I am about 98% done, just need some detail work.
JSB33 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:34 am
Now you are at the easy part, just remove everything that doesn't look like the transporter ;)
I have managed to do something wrong just about every step of the way on this project. I have another truck to make the later version of the transporter. When I get to it, I hope I've learned from my mistakes! :D
dcast wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:33 am
Nice job, interesting project :)
Tom wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:57 am
Impressive result looking at what you started out with!
Thanks! It is by no means perfect and some point I may redo the box to be narrower and not quite as tall, but its mostly done for now. From Pinder Circus truck to F1 circus truck!

Tom

Post by Tom »

Impressive result! I agree that it's a little wide, though.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Congratulations Jerry. That will do nicely to compliment your McLaren collection.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

So the truck had a few too many Big Macs and became a Big Mac (Hauler) itself, it looks great from here.
Jeff

gilma

Post by gilma »

Great result, It does resemble the Ford truck which I remember from growing up...

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

VW Transporter: I have been wanting to make a model of the Vasek Polak VW Kombi they used to pull their race cars in the late 50's, early 60's. I finally got around to looking for a suitable donor model and found a PW/Altaya VW van of the right vintage that was fairly inexpensive. I made the decals using an old photo as a guide. The model came apart pretty easily, just the rivets holding the glass and dash board had to be ground down. Stripped down and primed, I used rattle can high heat (manifold) paint. Not because its better, but what I had on hand that would be about the right shade of silver and not too shiny. Reassembly was pretty straightforward as was decal application. I left the bumpers white, but in closer examination of photos, they appear to also be silver. A pretty easy 3-4 day project.

VW Kombi Transporter - Vasek Polak Porsche - PW/Altaya

A US racing legend, Vasek Polak emigrated from the Czech Republic to the US after WWII. He would move out to California where he opened the first exclusive Porsche dealership in the US. Operating a machine shop before the war, Polak was an accomplished mechanic and successful motorcycle racer before he turned to automobile racing while living in Europe after WWII. There he would meet Dr. Ferry Porsche and their acquaintance eventually led to his become a Porsche dealer. His auto franchise grew to include several different brands located in LA’s South Bay. This VW van is from the early days.

Polak eventually focused on race car preparation rather than driving. His cars helped put Porsche on the racing map in the US and he would eventually field champions in SCCA, Trans Am and Can Am racing. Star drivers that drove for Polak are numerous, but include names like Miles, Titus, Holbert, Penske, Behra, Bonnier, Von Trips and Folmer. In later years, Polak 917’s, 934 & 935’s were familiar sights for me with their trademark number “0”.

Polak dies in 1997 at the age of 82 from complications injuries sustained in a crash on the German Autobahn in his 911 Turbo S at over 110 mph. While the dealership no longer carries the Polak name, there is a Vasek Polak Auto Museum which his son Vasek Polak, Jr. is a principal: https://vasekpolakcollection.com/

This is what the van started out as (I had never heard of the Ringo bakery). If you would like decals to make your own version of the van, PM me and I will send you a Word file you can then use to print out decals on a printer. If I had to do it over, I would downsize the font on the sides and Porsche logo some, but ran out of decal paper so they will stay that way for now. You can manipulate the size of fonts in the file to suit.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Excellent job, love the result!

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Nice job Jerry.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Excellent work Jerry. I've seen that black and white photo countless times while looking for transporters and I'm surprised no one has made it to date. I always thought it would be something Schuco or Premium Classixxs would make one day.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

Wonderful job Jerry. I even like the way that yours has been lowered a bit for a quick lap of Sebring itself :D

Your post reminds me that a friend of the Forum who shares your name, JBRendondo, hasn't been around for a while. He has a history of working with Vasek Polak.
Martin

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Sure looks the part, nice work, again.
Jeff